Running: mystery knee problem (outside of right knee)

Options
Hey everyone!

So last year, I was running A LOT. Like, a tonne. I was a bit of a running addict (long distances). Nearing the end of the summer, I started getting bad pain on the outside of my right knee (but it feels like the pain is inside the actual knee). I have taken about 5-6 months off from any running now and just got back into it again today. I thought the long rest period would make the problem go away, but it didn't. It hurt and I couldn't even get any more than a 4km run in before I had to walk because of the knee.

I AM absolutely going to go to the doctor again about this, but the last time I went it, I felt kind of dismissed (stretch and rest more was really the answer). I'd like to go in this time having things to actually suggest could be the problem if this happens.

I know most of you are probably not doctors, so no, I promise not to take your words as absolute. But let's play the diagnose possible causes/solutions to this problem game (because I miss running so much!)

Things to know beforehand:

- Last year, I ended up with some disordered eating problems. I was seriously malnourished and underweight. I have fixed this. For the last 6 months, I have been eating relatively healthy and I don't count calories often but I know that I'm usually in the a lot of calories range. I thought this could fix my knee somehow if it IS a joint problem. If I have some osteoporosis in my knee from this, is there any solution?

- I overpronate and am really in need to some new running shoes. Could shoes fix the problem if it is just runner's knee? Could shoes fix the problem if it's a joint thing? Does anyone have any shoes they would suggest for an overpronator?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    My completely non expert opinion thinks you have runner's knee. Caused by weak quads/ a tight IT band. I would try foam rolling all over but especially the IT band and some squats/ cycling to build up your quads.

New shoes always help but make sure you go to a running store where they will watch you run and make appropriate shoe recommendations.
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I had the same sort of pain. I find it much better since I have started heavy lifting to strengthen my hamstrings.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's likely not osteoporosis. Knee pain is usually cartilage, ligament, joint wear related.
    Build up your runs slowly. Get a running program and follow it. Get good shoes after getting fit in a real running store.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't go from no running for 4 months, to running 4km. That in itself can cause problems.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to order an x-ray and/or MRI. If you had disordered eating problems and were malnourished, you may have a stress fracture. Although it is a somewhat odd place for one to occur, I defied those odds by having a fractured lateral tibial plateau. Not saying that this is the ONLY thing it could be, but my doc thought it was ITB related and only ordered the MRI when NOTHING (stretching, rest, PT) helped.

Good luck to you!