Gardeners: What produce are you growing this season?

Options

Replies

• AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Just turned my front porch flowerbed into an herb garden this week - sage, garlic chives, dill, thyme, Greek oregano, Thai basil, globe basil, curry (new one for me!), lavender and catnip. More basil going in, plus whatever interesting herbs I come across in nurseries from here on out. :bigsmile:

I think I am going to do the same thing with my front porch area. We had a completely bare landscape when we moved into this house and I want to do mostly edible landscaping.

I grew curry last year and I loved the smell so much--I would go out to the garden just to touch the curry and smell it, haha. Will definitely grow it again this year.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry I missed this discussion! I was at a meeting of our local Transition Town group which also includes a strong permaculture aspect! I could relate to so much of what you all are growing....or planning to grow! I'm in the north, north east US and the snow has just melded off of the gardens in the last couple of days! I have started onions, tomatoes (Cosmonaut, Premio, Sungold, Roma), amaranth, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, and soaking some parsley seeds. I try to direct seed as much as possible! One of the gardens is fenced to keep deer out so I grow peas (snow, snap, shell), pole beans, cukes, tomatoes and amaranth next to the fence for support.

I'm in love with getting more perennial foods established! Trying new this year: Watercress which I hope to establish on a tiny stream beside the drive. I transplanted some wild Ostrich ferns (for fiddleheads) to that area last year. We also have several highbush blueberries, a raspberry patch, asparagus, sunchokes, 2 young apples, a sweet cherry, and my favorite: Contender Peach which bore fruit the year after we planted it!

New this year: Hazelnut and Sour Cherry bushes. And I'm going to try growing the potatoes on top of the septic field by putting down a layer of cardboard and some hay, then top with the seed potatoes and more hay....an experiment and a way to expand my growing area without tilling. Last year I grew winter and summer squashes on top of cardboard and piles of composted horse manure, mulched with hay....worked beautifully. Of course, there are always slugs to keep under control!

I'd love to hear of other useful perennial crops (edible landscaping) that any of you like to grow! I like ideas for extending the growing season. Can you say more about how you use the wall of water things and the poly tunnels?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Our corn just got smashed in the cyclone and only about a week before being ready to pick so we'll see if we get anything from it or not.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    20 feet of Rasperry bushes, 3 Blueberry bushes, Rhubarb, Strawberries, Tomatoes, a variety of peppers. Planted my herb garden this past weekend -- Cilantro, Parsley, Chives, Savory, Thyme, Basil, Spearmint, Oregano and Rosemary.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    In a relatively new house and still learning how the garden works and what goes where. But already in the ground this spring, we have strawberries, an awesome rhubarb plant (left from the previous owners), plums, apples and blueberries. You referred earlier to winter laziness and it's an affliction I've known rather too well this year! I'm late sorting stuff out so probably not going down the seed route (not that I always do well with seeds anyway :grumble: ) but I'm going to plant out some tomatoes, peas and broccoli and then spend a bit of time planning how to redesign the garden to make best use of the space. I'm so glad the weather is improving - it inspires me to all of this stuff:smile:

Edit: oh and raspberries and blackberries left from previous owners as well!
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Various herbs, garlic, onions (plants & sets), carrots, beets, spinach, lettuce, cauliflower, brocolli, eggplant, various tomatoes, various peppers, beans (green, black, pinto), snow peas, strawberries, squash, zuchinni, corn. cucumbers, asparagus... and who knows what else...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    20 feet of Rasperry bushes, 3 Blueberry bushes, Rhubarb, Strawberries, Tomatoes, a variety of peppers. Planted my herb garden this past weekend -- Cilantro, Parsley, Chives, Savory, Thyme, Basil, Spearmint, Oregano and Rosemary.

Berries!!!!!! Not fair. Hmm.. I should see if the cyclone did damage to the blueberrie bush. It is the only sort we have and blown away we can grow it in the tropics. Never seen it before.
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    so i have carrots, beetroot, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, marrows, courgettes, peas, strawberries, chillies.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry I missed this discussion! I was at a meeting of our local Transition Town group which also includes a strong permaculture aspect! I could relate to so much of what you all are growing....or planning to grow! I'm in the north, north east US and the snow has just melded off of the gardens in the last couple of days! I have started onions, tomatoes (Cosmonaut, Premio, Sungold, Roma), amaranth, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, and soaking some parsley seeds. I try to direct seed as much as possible! One of the gardens is fenced to keep deer out so I grow peas (snow, snap, shell), pole beans, cukes, tomatoes and amaranth next to the fence for support.

I'm in love with getting more perennial foods established! Trying new this year: Watercress which I hope to establish on a tiny stream beside the drive. I transplanted some wild Ostrich ferns (for fiddleheads) to that area last year. We also have several highbush blueberries, a raspberry patch, asparagus, sunchokes, 2 young apples, a sweet cherry, and my favorite: Contender Peach which bore fruit the year after we planted it!

New this year: Hazelnut and Sour Cherry bushes. And I'm going to try growing the potatoes on top of the septic field by putting down a layer of cardboard and some hay, then top with the seed potatoes and more hay....an experiment and a way to expand my growing area without tilling. Last year I grew winter and summer squashes on top of cardboard and piles of composted horse manure, mulched with hay....worked beautifully. Of course, there are always slugs to keep under control!

I'd love to hear of other useful perennial crops (edible landscaping) that any of you like to grow! I like ideas for extending the growing season. Can you say more about how you use the wall of water things and the poly tunnels?

Has your permaculture group had any discussions about hugelkulture (pronounced hoogleculture, like google)? The are fantastic for perennials like fruiting bushes. Check them out if you haven't. They're amazing. I haven't watered my native plums in three years and they look just as good as my group that I planted under fabric that I have to deep soak 4-5 times a year.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    Last year I grew:

Potatoes
    Onions
    Carrots

Mint (3 varieties)
    Rosemary
    Parsley
    Chives
    Lemon balm
    Thyme
    Sage
    Oregano
    Basil
    Tarragon

Raspberries
    Tayberries
    Blackberries (wild invaders through the hedge!)

This year I'm adding

Brussels sprouts

I need a bigger freezer and a dehydrator!

That's a great variety. I'm curious, with your mint, do you keep it in containers or do you have a way of keeping it where you want it without it taking over a garden area? I've kept mine in pots because I worry about their invasive tendencies.
  • SusanL222
    Options

Has your permaculture group had any discussions about hugelkulture (pronounced hoogleculture, like google)? The are fantastic for perennials like fruiting bushes. Check them out if you haven't. They're amazing. I haven't watered my native plums in three years and they look just as good as my group that I planted under fabric that I have to deep soak 4-5 times a year.
    Yes, there's a lot of buzz about hugelkulture and Sepp Holtzer. I'm trying to work with the concept without a lot of trenching! Sepp does his with machinery and I'd be doing it by the shovelful! I did build a raised bed last fall in order to make it easier to overwinter some greens this year; and I layered cardboard, smallish tree branches, hay, and horse manure to begin to fill it up.....and I'll add some of my kitchen compost before I plant in it. Otherwise, I have a pile of mostly rotted cedar fence posts that I'm wondering how to use.

How did you do yours? We certainly have plenty of piles of rotting wood, although it is mostly softwood, like fir, spruce and pine which I'm not so sure is the best for plants. Although if it has rotted enough maybe the resins are mostly gone.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've planned for:
    Anahime peppers
    Big Jim peppers
    Black Krim tomaotes
    Roma tomatoes
    Zuccinii
    cucumbers
    garlic
    sunflowers
    Lavender

This year I'm going to try to grow a blackberry bush and a Marion Berry bush in pots with a water resivor in them.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Yes, there's a lot of buzz about hugelkulture and Sepp Holtzer. I'm trying to work with the concept without a lot of trenching! Sepp does his with machinery and I'd be doing it by the shovelful! I did build a raised bed last fall in order to make it easier to overwinter some greens this year; and I layered cardboard, smallish tree branches, hay, and horse manure to begin to fill it up.....and I'll add some of my kitchen compost before I plant in it. Otherwise, I have a pile of mostly rotted cedar fence posts that I'm wondering how to use.

How did you do yours? We certainly have plenty of piles of rotting wood, although it is mostly softwood, like fir, spruce and pine which I'm not so sure is the best for plants. Although if it has rotted enough maybe the resins are mostly gone.

I used a trench for mine. Basically, I would rototill a three food wide swath, then pile the dirt on one side. Run the rototiller again and pile the new loose dirty on the other side. It took a long time but I was gathering cottonwood from the area at the time, getting rancher permission to forrage on their land around the seasonal creek beds we have around here. I made the trench about 2.5 - 3 feet deep and then filled with all the cottonwood logs and branches I'd collected along with all my tree trimming refuse. I put in a little bit of aged horse manure but not much since I want to encourage to encourage the roots of the bushes to really branch out in the native soil and not heavy collect around the manure. Then I filled it all back in. The first year, i planted alphalpha on it just to add a bit more to the top few inches of soil. The next year (though I could have done it that fall) I planted the seedling bushes, just sticks really with a couple leaves on them. They are now doing great!

It was labor intensive since I didn't have any big machinery to take care of the initial dig but the results and the fact that it will last for 30 years or more is worth it in my book.

There's a lot of controversy about wood types but I think they're overblown. Eventually, the wood will break down and absorb water just like other 'more desirable' woods. Maybe I'll find someone in the foothills that's big into trimming their pine trees and see if I can't make a second bed using primarily those types of wood just to see if there is an appreciable difference.

I'd love to know how yours works out. I did one (a raised garden bed) where i just put small branches at the bottom of the bed to see if it would work small scale. I didn't notice anything last year as far as watering was concerned and thought it was a bust. However, when I was turning the soil a few weeks ago, it was noticeably moister soil than my other, non stick containing beds. I live in a semi arid environment so that's a good thing for my gardening.
  • SusanL222
    Options

I used a trench for mine. Basically, I would rototill a three food wide swath, then pile the dirt on one side. Run the rototiller again and pile the new loose dirty on the other side. It took a long time but I was gathering cottonwood from the area at the time, getting rancher permission to forrage on their land around the seasonal creek beds we have around here. I made the trench about 2.5 - 3 feet deep and then filled with all the cottonwood logs and branches I'd collected along with all my tree trimming refuse. I put in a little bit of aged horse manure but not much since I want to encourage to encourage the roots of the bushes to really branch out in the native soil and not heavy collect around the manure. Then I filled it all back in. The first year, i planted alphalpha on it just to add a bit more to the top few inches of soil. The next year (though I could have done it that fall) I planted the seedling bushes, just sticks really with a couple leaves on them. They are now doing great!

It was labor intensive since I didn't have any big machinery to take care of the initial dig but the results and the fact that it will last for 30 years or more is worth it in my book.

There's a lot of controversy about wood types but I think they're overblown. Eventually, the wood will break down and absorb water just like other 'more desirable' woods. Maybe I'll find someone in the foothills that's big into trimming their pine trees and see if I can't make a second bed using primarily those types of wood just to see if there is an appreciable difference.

I'd love to know how yours works out. I did one (a raised garden bed) where i just put small branches at the bottom of the bed to see if it would work small scale. I didn't notice anything last year as far as watering was concerned and thought it was a bust. However, when I was turning the soil a few weeks ago, it was noticeably moister soil than my other, non stick containing beds. I live in a semi arid environment so that's a good thing for my gardening.
    Thank you for the details! I love sharing new ideas for growing things! It broadens my thinking and enriches my gardening! May you have a satisfying and productive growing season! :flowerforyou:
  • NCMeg
    NCMeg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers, cantaloupes, watermelon, potatoes, tomatoes, lots of pole beans, squash (maybe - the last two years we've had an issue with vine borer bugs). I think I'm forgetting some things.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    Cucumbers, cantaloupes, watermelon, potatoes, tomatoes, lots of pole beans, squash (maybe - the last two years we've had an issue with vine borer bugs). I think I'm forgetting some things.

Plant your squash in a different part of the garden than your previous years. Use transplants and get them into the ground as soon as possible after the last frost hits since the grubs don't emerge until later in the season, by that time you'll be already harvesting.

Till after the season to expose next year's larvae and overwintering adults. Also till before planting for the same reason. I had to do this after a few bad seasons and now I just do it out of precautions. Good luck.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    Thought I'd lost all of my early planted, warmth loving tomato, pepper and eggplant varieties when my area experienced two consecutive nights of sub 20 degree temps. My walls of water were frozen solid. I checked them once they thawed a day later and was amazed to find all plants had not only survived but looked great! Clear plastic on raised bed along with the walls of water really heated the soil enough to keep them fully within an acceptable temperature range.

I was amazed. I'm excited for July tomatoes instead of August ones! Bring it mother nature, I'm ready for anything (but let's not get crazy or anything).
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I just decided to do 6 berry bushes. 3 thornless boysenberrys and 3 marionberrys in water reserve buckets. I'm hoping that they will grow tall enough to help shade the south side of my house.
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes, Cucumber, Banana Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, Acorn Squash, Corn, Eggplant, and of course nurturing the three apple trees I planted last year.. and my plum tree of course.
  • SusanL222
    Options
    I love seeing what everybody is planting! And learning the different methods used. I wouldn't have thought about planting berry bushes in buckets! And I've heard of the wall of water season extenders but wouldn't have thought they could protect in weather cold enough to freeze them solid! I buy my seeds and garden supplies through Fedco Seed Co-op, but they don't have the wall of water....guess I'll have to find them elsewhere. Happy gardening everyone!