How much is too much sodium?

Options
I've read alot of posts about too much sodium is bad for us and to check the sodium content in the food we consume.

What I'd like to know is how much is too much sodium? And should I be aiming to cut it down to a bare minimum or should I be having so much per day?

Replies

• FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I know I may get slammed for this but from what I've learned sodium is not a concern unless you have a problem with high blood pressure or other related disease. There have been studies that have shown that consuming too much salt can cause high blood pressure but nothing has been confirmed.

One of the reasons people advocating reducing salt intake is that it is an easy way to shed a few pounds fast. If you reduce your salt intake, the amount of water you retain decreases, hence the weight loss.

For myself, I prefer to have the added weight from salt consumption. The more you weigh the more calories you consume. If I am carrying an extra five pounds due to salt I need to burn more calories to move that weight.

You should Google sodium and fitness and see for yourself the varying points of view when it comes to salt and fitness.
  • youngtweezy
    Options
    I have high blood pressure and I'm aiming for the recommended amount of 1500mg a day, but I usually end up with around 2000mg.

This is from a government dietary guideline website from 2005, which is old but still up to date from what I've read:
    http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/chapter8.htm
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I know I may get slammed for this but from what I've learned sodium is not a concern unless you have a problem with high blood pressure or other related disease. There have been studies that have shown that consuming too much salt can cause high blood pressure but nothing has been confirmed.

One of the reasons people advocating reducing salt intake is that it is an easy way to shed a few pounds fast. If you reduce your salt intake, the amount of water you retain decreases, hence the weight loss.

For myself, I prefer to have the added weight from salt consumption. The more you weigh the more calories you consume. If I am carrying an extra five pounds due to salt I need to burn more calories to move that weight.

You should Google sodium and fitness and see for yourself the varying points of view when it comes to salt and fitness.

You will not burn more calories with an extra 5 pounds of water, well maybe 20 or 30 cals due to lugging around 5 pounds. 5 pounds of muscle will burn a lot more than 5 pounds of water retention.

True sodium is only a health concern if you have high blood pressure, but that does not mean it is healthy if you don't have high blood pressure, its just not that bad. Sodium does make you retain water and water weight looks a lot like fat, so you will never have that toned look if you are retaining water.

The maximum you should have is 2500 mgs with an ideal amount being 1500 mg. you do need some sodium in your diet, just not the amount that most people consume.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and bodies are different I would say stay under 2000mg a day try for 1500. If your not eating boxed or processed foods then this should not be a prob.
  • zimmeb
    zimmeb Posts: 1
    Options
    I am eating way too much sodium. 4000+ / day. How can I get it down? I don't even use the salt shaker. My target says something like 2500 / day but I am always way beyond that.
  • SamanthaBarber
    SamanthaBarber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    High sodium should be a concern for everyone at every age. Too much sodium can not only make you retain water and cause high blood pressure but it is horrible for your heart in excess. "Heart healthy" consumption of sodium is under 2,500 mg per day. People with previous heart attacks and other heart issues should be under 2,000mg per day which is considered a "cardiac diet". WATCH YOUR SODIUM!
  • SamanthaBarber
    SamanthaBarber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Canned and processed foods both contain HUGE amounts of sodium. Cut those out of your diet if you can or buy their lower sodium versions of them.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sodium helps regulate blood volume and aids in nerve impulse conduction and muscle contraction control. Therefore isolated incidences of excessive sodium intake results in edema (fluid retention) which puts stress on the cardiovascular system. Typically the kidneys compensate by excreting the resulting excess fluid. However, persistent excessive consumption greatly increases the risk of hypertension. Doctors and dietitians usually recommend no more than 2400 mg of sodium per day for the general population. I think MFP puts the maximum at 2500 mg per day.

You should be particular vigilant about watching your sodium intake if there is a history of heart disease or renal disease in your family. I have worked with individuals on hemodialysis before. It is eye-opening for sure and makes one want to be particularly careful about sodium intake. It is not something to take so lightly.

Hope this helps! :)
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Options
    I cannot reiterate this enough - It's NOT just a concern if you get high blood pressure. It can lead to the problem in the first place. Having just seen my father in law, who was not obese, die unexpectedly of a heart attack in July at the age of 52 (I'm pretty sure there are people here older than that) I can and will vouch that prevention is the best cure.

Don't wait until the problems begin to show up people, please, for the sake of your life and the sanity of your children (my husband is a wreck) don't wait till it's too late, cut down on your sodium now. It is of course a double edged knife, you NEED sodium to live, as people have quite rightly pointed out. MFP keeps it at government guideline ammount (at least, the UK government guideline ammount, I don't know about other countries) and I know the British Heart foundation backs this ammount up. I tend to go under but I like to be under as I like to add salt to my food. I use Lo-Salt, which is a half-half mix of sodium chloride (regular table salt) and potassium chloride. Is it as yummy as regular old table salt?

No, but it gives the same kind of salty kick on your tongue and is, you know, better than dying before you see your grand kids or get to walk your daughters down the aisle.
  • nicjane113
    Options
    I've added sodium into my food diary and it is setting my goal at 2,500 per day (I assume this is mg?) What I am actually consuming is around 1,000. Is this normal that I'm not coming near the goal?
    I get my blood pressure checked every 6 months for my pill anyway so that is always being monitored and is always normal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've added sodium into my food diary and it is setting my goal at 2,500 per day (I assume this is mg?) What I am actually consuming is around 1,000. Is this normal that I'm not coming near the goal?
    I get my blood pressure checked every 6 months for my pill anyway so that is always being monitored and is always normal.

2500 is not a goal, it is a maximum that you should not exceed.
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Options
    Agreed with eric, 1000mg is great :)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    Options

1000 mg is really good! Few people can keep it near that number, myself included! Good job!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    Options
    I cannot reiterate this enough - It's NOT just a concern if you get high blood pressure. It can lead to the problem in the first place. Having just seen my father in law, who was not obese, die unexpectedly of a heart attack in July at the age of 52 (I'm pretty sure there are people here older than that) I can and will vouch that prevention is the best cure.

Don't wait until the problems begin to show up people, please, for the sake of your life and the sanity of your children (my husband is a wreck) don't wait till it's too late, cut down on your sodium now. It is of course a double edged knife, you NEED sodium to live, as people have quite rightly pointed out. MFP keeps it at government guideline ammount (at least, the UK government guideline ammount, I don't know about other countries) and I know the British Heart foundation backs this ammount up. I tend to go under but I like to be under as I like to add salt to my food. I use Lo-Salt, which is a half-half mix of sodium chloride (regular table salt) and potassium chloride. Is it as yummy as regular old table salt?

No, but it gives the same kind of salty kick on your tongue and is, you know, better than dying before you see your grand kids or get to walk your daughters down the aisle.

I am deeply sorry for your loss. I also lost my father to a heart attack at a young age (he was 55). There are so many changes he could have made and lowered his risk. Which is why I'm so determined to take control and make healthy changes NOW.

The following info is for anyone who may be curious how to season food without salt:
    There are many ways to add flavor to food without adding salt! I use a lot of diced garlic, onions, and peppers when I cook. And I LOVE fresh herbs! There is a fantastic seasoning that is made in this area (south Louisiana) called "Benoit's Best." It is sodium free, no msg, no salt substitutes and its all natural. And its delicious! It is sold in grocery stores here and I know it is used on patient trays at the Heart Hospital in Lafayette. I'm not sure if it has caught on yet in other states but you can google it and see if you can find it in your local grocery stores. I typically season our food with Benoit's Best, can't tell the difference!

If you're interested, this is a link to Cajun Grocer if you want to purchase it online.
    http://www.cajungrocer.com/benoits-best-spicy-saltfree-seasoning-12-oz-p-1759.html
  • djsp66
    djsp66 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have high blood pressure also and am eating 1800 calories a day but struggle to keep salt within 2500mg and usually always end up much higher. Its seems like there is no escape from salt it is in everything from bread to milk.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    High sodium should be a concern for everyone at every age. Too much sodium can not only make you retain water and cause high blood pressure but it is horrible for your heart in excess. "Heart healthy" consumption of sodium is under 2,500 mg per day. People with previous heart attacks and other heart issues should be under 2,000mg per day which is considered a "cardiac diet". WATCH YOUR SODIUM!

No offense but your comment that sodium can "cause high blood pressure" is just not proven. You will find studies that try to make that link but there are an equal number of objective studies that discount the connection. That being said it is a risk for someone with high blood pressure. I'm not advocating high sodium consumption but with weight loss being as difficult as it is, people need every break then can get.

On the other hand, salt is addictive. If a person can reduce their salt consumption gradually while they don't have high blood pressure, it will make it that much easier to cut back if they have to later on in life.

I would much rather see a person who is struggling with their weight and does not have high blood pressure reach for a low fat salty snack than a high fat sweet snack.

The National Institute of Health is one of the organizations that has been on the campaign against salt, yet their own outdated study (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/new/press/17-1998.htm) expresses ambivalence and doubt about their own recommendations. Basically they are saying "Umm... we aren't sure so just in case you should cut back on salt".

Just so we are clear, if you do have a problem with high blood pressure or even a family history of it, definitely keep your salt intake to a minimum.

Personally, despite everything I said, I do try to control my intake of sodium. If I don't need it, I don't use it. Plus, I think salt masks the inherent subtle tastes of food.

The reason why I am trying to clear the air about salt is that there are number of healthy low fat foods that happen to have a moderately high amount of salt in it (pretzels, beef jerky, soups, low fat salad dressings). Fruits and vegetables are great but you can't keep apple slices or carrot sticks in your desk drawer for a week in case you need a quick snack.