250 lb to lose & need some friends to help me get there.

Options
I feel it important to note that I have been on & off MFP since 2010. I am one of 'those' people. lol

By the time I reach my goal weight (around 180 lb) I will have lost about 270 lb which is about the same weight as a baby elephant. O_O

My biggest problem is that I eat ALL THE EMOTIONS! Happy? I want food. Sad? I want MORE FOOD! I also LOVE food, especially 'comfort' food. It's a problem I need to solve before I can be truly successful.

During my last semi-successful go at this I lost just over 100 lb. It was BRILLIANT! My sleep apnoea was no longer a problem. My abdomen no longer sagged down covering my thighs and no longer sealed around the underside of the 'flap' which always led infections and bad odour. I was happier, much happier than I am now.

I was 343 lb at the end of August 2012 and then the person I loved most in my life died at the beginning of September 2012. By the end of summer 2013 I was back up to 435 lb. Since then I have been bouncing around between 410 and 425 lb.

It's time to make a permanent change in the direction of becoming and remaining healthy, and I have finally reached the point where I am ready to recommit to that.

Here's the picture I took of myself in the salon when I saw how incredibly HUGE I am whilst sitting down. This was the eye-opening image that was the final piece to the re-commitment puzzle.

k4v8rn.jpg

Replies

• gottobethin2014
    Options
    welcome

this is great site and lots of support

i am also trying to figure out my emotional eating - its not easy but we will get there
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's easy to stuff your face w/ yummy foods when you're feeling bad about life. But look where it gets us. You have to have a good support base and a good plan. This site is also an awesome tool for tracking everything you eat. There is plenty of support here. Don't be afraid to ask. You're introduction here is a good start. Your feet point forward for a reason. Keep moving in that direction.
  • holly_bear
    Options
    I would love a new friend and need a new start!!! We should totally help each other out. My name is Holly!
  • shegrif
    shegrif Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Welcome, :)
    Friend request sent.
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    First off, welcome. MFP is great for motivation and support. FR sent.
  • Stonekerry
    Stonekerry Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good for you - here to support if you need me - please feel free to add! :flowerforyou:
  • christianivanka
    christianivanka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sent u a friend request!!!! :)
  • rissavai
    rissavai Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Totally add me if you want! Am not sure if am an emotional eater or not but I am definitely an eater! Just ask my scale! I am super serious about losing weight but I'm not a super serious person. I definitely try to keep things light and fun. I honestly have NO experience other than my own in the realm of exercise and dieting but if ever you need someone to talk to to bring you up or keep you going, I got your back. :-)
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    welcome to an awesome site .....please take baby steps and change one thing at a time instead of changing everything at once...log your calories ...try to get some exercise I love walking with leslie sansone dvd's ...Wishing you much success on your goals ....You are more than welcome to add me :smile:
  • berniis
    berniis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello - how marvellous that yo know what you need todo to lose weight! You have lost loads already ... Good luck this time ... Use all your wisdom...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You can lose the weight
    You can get healthy
    You can be active

Start small
    Log all your food being as honest and accurate as possible
    Eat at a reasonable deficit, there is no reason to be miserable while losing weight.
    Have patience

When you think of making a change in how you eat ask yourself "Is this something I can do for the rest of my life?" If the answer is yes than go for it, if the answer is No or I don't know... stop and think about why you want to make that change and what benefit you will get out of it, then ask yourself the question again.

Good Luck to you!
  • MaryElvira1959
    Options
    Hello InevitableBut,
    My name is Mary and you and I have some things in common. One is we both started in Jan. of this year and the other is we're emotional eaters and we enjoy food. I feel that this site will be a good help to you. It has helped me keep track of what I eat and shows you ahead of time how many calories you have left for the day. The community support is a great help, they encourage you and support you. The exercise tracker is another great tool to use. I was weighing 298 and now I weigh 221.6. When I first started walking, I use to walk for 10 minutes due to knee pain and back pain. As time went on I kept increasing my walks till I reached 4.4 a day five days a week. Now I'm back to work so I stopped walking and hit the gym for thirty minutes five days a week. I've been. logging my food everyday. I've been focusing on eating 80 grams of protein a day. I feel this helps me to stay full and blood sugars steady, whereas before I use to eat little protein and eat foods that would make my sugars go up and I would get tired and hungry. Drinking water 8-9 cups, crystal light. Well I just wanted share some ideas with you and I'm here to help and support you. Good luck you came to the right place which is MFP.:flowerforyou:
  • attorneycherylsterling
    Options
    Good luck. You know you can do it, because you have done it before. We have the same struggles. I too eat all the emotions and absolutely love food and love to cook, which is not a good combination when trying to lose weight. I am determined to lose the weight
    and be thin and healthier than I have ever been. I look forward to hearing about your success story. ????
  • phxxtc
    phxxtc Posts: 2
    Options
    Welcome and Good Luck!
    I too am searching for any extra motivation and help on my journey! Boy do I miss pizza and beer! I feel so much better since I have lost the first 30 pounds and am getting close to needing to buy smaller clothes! I'm struggling not to "reward" myself with a huge caloric intake that will feel great while I'm eating it but will feel terrible and throw me off the wagon when I get on the scale. I keep a scale in my bathroom and one in the kitchen! I keep post it's by the fridge at work and in my car to steer me clear of bad choices!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Keep logging faithfully every single thing you eat. Even if you lose control and eat too much, log it. You may then recognize patterns and behavoirs to change. We ALL have setback days, if you have one, don't give up but just pick yourself up, dust off and continue back on track. There is nothing like a little success to motivate you forward. If the road seems long, unimaginable and impossible, just cruise through the success stories. Good luck!
  • fuzilojak
    fuzilojak Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi InevitableBut,

I could have probably written the same works as you did.

I've had some very successful losses over the years. I lost 140lbs in high school but gained it back in my early 20's. I lost around 100lbs a few years later only to gain it and more back. I've gone up and down for years but I never got below 270's. Over the last four years I gained over 150lbs to hit around 420lbs. I don't know how far I went over since I couldn't find a scale to weigh me any higher.

After being laid off from a extremely stressful job around this time last year I was able to start trying to loose weight but I was still yo-yoing but overall I was still making progress. In February it finally seem to snap in for me and I really started pushing myself.

I have tried some support groups, there is some very helpful people and reading material that can help, so that is an option to look into. I started going to a meditation class, which seems to be working the best for me. Being able to manage my stress gives me more strength to fight the urges to comfort eat. Using MFP to track everything also helps a LOT and I've finally started adding friends to help motivate and be motivated by.

I've lost almost half of my currently weight loss just in the last two months so while I'm by far not out of the words, I feel I'm on a better path to loosing the weight than I have been since I lost the weight the first time in high school.

So all that said, try many things, keep the things you find useful and keep moving forward. I'll send a friend request so we can help motivate one another. :)
  • Bjamino
    Bjamino Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you've come to the right place. Plenty of support and motivation here! :)
  • ohsuzyQ1
    ohsuzyQ1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi InevitableBut,

I'm no expert but maybe if you start thinking of it as a way of life, a challenge to yourself or with a friend could be a help. I do this with a friend of mind & we kind of think of it as a way to maintain and manage our weight. We are not thinking of it as a diet but as a lifestyle. I know sometimes things seem overwhelming but you've made progress before and you can do it again. Try to focus on how much better you felt emotionally and physically.

Good Luck,
    P.S. You can friend me if you like
  • mandy5135
    mandy5135 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have also been away from mfp for awhile. Now I'm in need of new friends since the majority of mine deleted me in my year long absence. I sent a request:)
  • misspiano1
    misspiano1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I totally understand what you are going through... I lost all my family except 2 cousins in the span of 6 mons.. and went through a divorce too... I also had both knees replaced ... Kept saying I was going to get back on track,,,, ... but there was always some crisis that I was going through.... This time is now for me... I am in the process of Bariatric Surgery in Hamilton Ontario... My surgery should be June or July... Scared? YES!!! but I think this will give me a tool that I need.... I want to see my grandkids grow up and TRAVEL!!!!... This is my time!!! You can add me if you wish...
    Blessings