Looking for gluten free friends

Options
skygirll
skygirll Posts: 32 Member
Hi! I'm somewhat new and trying to add friends with similar diets. I do have Celiac disease but would like friends who are eating gluten free for any reason! Please add me if you are!

Replies

• jamieo70
    jamieo70 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi... I don't have celiac sprue but I do have a reaction to wheat and similar grains (congestion and mild asthmatic reaction when I eat over a certain amount) and I do eat a gluten-free diet.
  • amg120
    amg120 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely gluten free, but a lot of my meals are. I have slight allergies to a lot of things including wheat, so I try to avoid it when I can.

Anyway if you'd like to add me, feel free to!

-Alyssa
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for 2 1 / 2 years now. I will be going back on to gluten for 6 weeks so I can have the blood test, I am not looking forward to it.
    I am dreading the side afects I will have. Have you had this test Skygirll
  • skygirll
    Options
    luckily I had all the testing (bloodwork, and endoscope) before going gluten free. I would not survive having to eat gluten at this point - I have severe reaction to the tiniest crumb. Since you have to eat it, you want the results to be accurate so please eat lots of gluten! If you have a piece of Pizza Hut pizza think of me!
    If you get the scope done, make to ask your Dr how many biopsies they are doing. At our local Celiac meeting I learned you need 4 to 6 samples for accurate diagnosis since it can be missed in different parts of the intestines.
    I'm sorry for any reactions you might have, but hopefully it will be worth the piece of mind knowing for sure what the problem is. I love knowing I have Celiac disease for sure because I never have that cheating feeling! In almost 10 years I haven't intentionally sampled a crumb of gluten!
    Good luck!!
  • DSFfit
    DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free, can't tolerate wheat. No official testing done I just feel better without it.
    I had severe food allergies as a child including to wheat and milk so even though I officially should have "outgrown" that I have a problem with those.
    Feel free to add me.
  • ravenarwood
    ravenarwood Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for about 7 months now and feel amazing. I never had any testing done but I had a lot of digestive issues that disappeared when I gave up Gluten. Rice Chex are my best friend! haha Being gluten free gave me the extra push to eat as healthy as possible.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free because I have Crohn's disease. I also have insulin resistance and a GF diet is supposed to help.

Was tested for Celiac but it was negative.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for 2 1 / 2 years now. I will be going back on to gluten for 6 weeks so I can have the blood test, I am not looking forward to it.
    I am dreading the side afects I will have. Have you had this test Skygirll

Oh, I am so sorry for you, purple 1. I am blessed to have been tested before going GF. I was accidentally exposed today - I ate at a celiac friendly restaurant where the ranch dressing has always been safe and it wasn't today. 2 tablespoons of ranch and I have been Miserable Myssi since lunch. 10 minutes and my head started hurting. 45 and my GI tract was in revolt. UGH...
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Celiac checking in! I'm also lactose intolerant too :)
  • renegadegeek
    renegadegeek Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free over two years ago. Tests never pointed to an allergy, but since giving up wheat my asthma, GI distress and neuralgia issues all cleared. Gone. Nice to meet other GF folks.
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Peacockbutterfly Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been mainly gluten free for the last 2 years. I will occasionally have gluten but always have some type of reaction. I'm not diagnosed as having celiac but that's because I didn't bother with testing. I eat gluten I have headaches, muscle pains and spasms, mood swings, severe anxiety, fatigue, skin problems, and stomach problems. Sometimes I get all of those symptoms and sometimes just one. I don't really need a test to tell me to stay away from it at this point lol.
  • Synthemesc94
    Options
    I have celiac sprue and if I eat the tiniest bit of gluten, like in chocolate where there is nothing said of gluten in the labels, i throw up and literally pass out and am miserable for hours, my symptoms are very severe :( i do not eat anything with traces of gluten. feel free to add me!
  • lrnstanton
    Options
    Im gluten (and dairy) free as well! My son and I have celiac... Its hard when all the quick gluten free stuff have sooo many more calories than regular food so glad to find so me support
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    We are fully grain free as my children are allergic to all grains :( they have a rare allergy called FPIES and even the smallest cross contamination will put the in the hospital with a GI anaphylaxis. Believe it or not, rice is actually their WORST allergen, so we can't even get away with buying all the "gluten free" premade foods in the grocery store :( sooooo frustrating lol
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have celiac sprue and if I eat the tiniest bit of gluten, like in chocolate where there is nothing said of gluten in the labels, i throw up and literally pass out and am miserable for hours, my symptoms are very severe :( i do not eat anything with traces of gluten. feel free to add me!

Are you positive you're celiac?? Your symptoms sound a lot like my children's. FPIES is very rare and most Dr's don't even know about it so it's mostly misdiagnosed.
  • skygirll
    Options

Are you positive you're celiac?? Your symptoms sound a lot like my children's. FPIES is very rare and most Dr's don't even know about it so it's mostly misdiagnosed.

emeraldeyes, I can't imagine what your kids went through before being diagnosed! I've never heard of FPIES before but just looked it up. I don't think vomit is a common symptom of celiac, since I believe our reaction occurs in the intestines but I guess it's possible. (I know if I get severe pain my body will do anything to rid itself of the offender!) Why does food have to be the enemy? sigh.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am mostly gluten free. I am eating an Amy's gluten free burrito right now, yummy.
  • tangobaby15
    tangobaby15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and am gluten free. I live in Argentina and while there is consciousness about celiac disease we do not have the level of products found in the US. I make almost everything. As long as I stick to my routine I am fine. I guess for me it was not a big deal to be diagnosed..finally.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I don't have celiac but I don't eat wheat, rice or potato because they are trigger foods for me. My two favorite gluten free foods are Farinata and chick pea flour crepes(I use Alton Brown's crepe recipe and substitute chickpea flour ). If you haven't tried them I really recommend them.
  • LBennett34
    LBennett34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My family started going gluten free (95% of the time) because we noticed gluten really aggravated my son's ADHD. Guess what? My husband's heartburn almost disappeared! He still gets it RARELY but nothing like before. And all this time we thought it was the tomatoes on pizza and spaghetti.

I read this somewhere: "If you are buying every box that says, "Gluten Free!" you aren't doing it right." I think my family, at first, fell into the trap that if its gluten free it is healthy. That just isn't so. We try to do whole foods and limit anything out of a box! And we've been can free since Jan 1!

Feel free to add me!