Thoughts on running versus cycling...

Options
froeschli
froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
So for two years I've been calling myself a runner.
Yet, I actually used to bicycle way more than run (ha, I never did that unless late for a bus) - growing up in Europe, the bike was my preferred way to commute, well, at least as far as the train station...
Now, I've started cycling again. For leisure, can you imagine... Mainly with the thought of it being cross training for my running. So I did 30 or so km today. And was bored. On the upside, I didn't feel as beat up as after a run.
Anyhow, I am starting to see the appeal, even though road bikes (namely drop handles) scare me, so I lug around a (cast-iron :tongue:) hybrid. And i am sure i can find a way to entertain myself if i take it more seriously... Still, all the gear involved, let me just roll my eyes...

I think I'll remain a runner for now :tongue:

Anyhow, just some ramblings...

Replies

• fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Awesome ramble! Seriously....cast iron bike? Whoa.

I have recently taken up biking, not the curled handle bar, skinny tire road bike, but a hybrid mountain bike and am completely enjoying it. My other cardio is rowing so this is a fantastic change of routine as I imagine running/biking is for you.

Have fun with both...cast iron or not (how much does that thing weigh???) :drinker:
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Cast iron? Woah, how much does the frame weigh? Mine's some aluminum metal mix and its pretty dang heavy and makes uphill a battle haha.
    But yea running takes a higher toll on the body than biking does. I find with the recovery I get on my biking trips I can go on for hours nonstop but with running....well I have a wall that will be hit.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I like your ramble!

I like to run- I have tried to like biking, but as sad as this is, I have yet to find a bike seat that doesn't hurt my butt REALLY badly.

Plus, love the feeling of finishing a run.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Running is certainly cheaper, but cycling can be sustained over a longer period of time. Check out an organized ride, like my personal favorite, RAGBRAI. That makes cycling a whole lot of fun.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Mainly with the thought of it being cross training for my running. So I did 30 or so km today. And was bored. On the upside, I didn't feel as beat up as after a run.
    Anyhow, I am starting to see the appeal, even though road bikes (namely drop handles) scare me, so I lug around a (cast-iron :tongue:) hybrid.

Personally I run, ride and row. I started road biking again about three weeks ago, hadn't used my road bike for a couple of years for various reasons, but also have a mountain bike that I use regularly and a folder that I use for commuting. The folder is made of stainless, rather than aluminium, so quite a bit heavier than the road or MTB.

Today I decided to run off the road bike, which was entertaining. Twenty km on the road followed by a 5km run. Interesting challenge but I got reasonable times on both.

It's a good session although much harder to get my HR up into the highest intensity regions on the bike.
  • froeschli
    Options
    Lol, I may have exaggerated a bit, it weigh double or triple my husbands road bike :tongue:
    But hey, the heavier the bike, the more energy goes into propelling it forward...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lol, I may have exaggerated a bit, it weigh double or triple my husbands road bike :tongue:
    But hey, the heavier the bike, the more energy goes into propelling it forward...

Compared to my current bike my old steel framed road bike (one I bought in the '70s) weighed a ton. Unless you live in a really hilly area rolling resistance is probably a more important factor than actual weight of the bike.

Personally I find riding and running to be complimentary activities, toss in swimming and you're a triathlete!
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I like them both for different reasons but they definately compliment each other. I can cycle for way longer than I can run without getting puffed and therefore burn a lot more calories but of course it takes up a lot more time out of my day. I am working on increasing distances for both and have found that the cycling has increased my running fitness. Plus the cycling is really good for bulking up thigh muscles :)

As for swimming... something I should take up but find too boring.
  • froeschli
    Options

Compared to my current bike my old steel framed road bike (one I bought in the '70s) weighed a ton. Unless you live in a really hilly area rolling resistance is probably a more important factor than actual weight of the bike.

Personally I find riding and running to be complimentary activities, toss in swimming and you're a triathlete!

I've been thinking about adding swimming, but wow, is it ever expensive! I used to get a season ticket for $60, now you can't even get two months for that...
    As for hills, as long as I don't try the niagara escarpment again in the next few weeks, I should be fine :happy:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You sound so much like me. I was a runner for years. Rode a bike, sometimes, but only to get somewhere, and I really didn't care for it much.
    Then, i hurt my knee and had surgery. To rehab, I had to bike at first. I couldn't take the pounding of running. And, I discovered I liked biking.
    As with running, I get to rumble on down the road and see what is around the corner. But I get to go even further, and see more. As with running, I can sprint and get a little HIIT type training in, but I can do it even more often on a ride and recover while rolling. Plus, I can go with a hard gear and feel like I am building strength in my legs in a way I cannot with running.
    Like you, I too have a heavy bike -- a street hybrid with wide, thick tires. But I figure I am out there to get into shape so I don't let it bother me. Hard is what I want.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I like both. I love running more. I run more. I guess running is cheaper if you go the very nice quality bikes than the typical ones you find at a department store. I spend a lot of money on running (shoes, apparel, races and ect).
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy cycling.

I'd much rather jump on a treadmill and push the incline ALL the way up and push myself that way.
    I never hold onto the bars. I have actually considered bringing weights with me to make it tougher, but kind of afraid to try it.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I like your ramble!

I like to run- I have tried to like biking, but as sad as this is, I have yet to find a bike seat that doesn't hurt my butt REALLY badly.

Plus, love the feeling of finishing a run.

Cycling shorts with the built in padding/chamois helps. Not to mention, after the first few days of initial "pain" getting into cycling down under on the nether regions, if you ride enough - the butt adapts and the pain goes away. At this point, I prefer saddles with little to no padding.

On the other had, I wish all church pews had padding (went to a concert today in a church and the wooden pew killed my backside).
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what you enjoy. If you are bored biking, stick to running. Now that being said, I do not take my own advice. I of course hate to run, but do it anyway because it is a quick way to get in some exercise wherever you are. My favorite run is a two mile trail run at my daughter's soccer field. SO pretty, but I still hate it. I think I stick with it because it makes me feel good about myself. To me running is a huge accomplishment. A new bike may make the riding more enjoyable though....Sorry, I guess I am no help.
  • froeschli
    Options
    Meh, I wasn't actually asking for advice :wink: and I actually like my old bike - it feels safe, and I don't worry too much about jumping curbs etc (which is such a no-no with DH's bike :tongue:). Anyhow, it's well balanced, the wheels are true, brakes are working and I have several gears to shift to - I don't ask for much more.
    As for the boredom, well, I assume I don't get bored running because I have to mentally push forward, regulate my breathing, etc, whereas on the bike I could just keep going, so I actually had leisure capacity to be bored by the industrial setting... Nothing a bit more focus and exertion can't fix :happy:
    I like how I feel after runs, but the novelty of not feeling beat up after an hour or more of cycling is great too...

So, I am not posing the two against one another, merely laughing at the "oh, this isn't all bad"-revelation in my own head...
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I should not do running or other high impact exercise due to an ankle and knee problem. I like to walk though and just bought a bike! It will be ready to pick-up this morning so I'm rather excited. Honestly, I can't believe the choices in bikes. I went with a 7-speed comfort bike that I expect to use a fair amount in the nice weather. We live in a small community so biking won't be a issue but a lot of bikers complain that cars are a huge problem. However, the runners complain about the same problem.