Options
2»

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Sorry I mixed up the speed with distance

Incline 4.0 with a speed of 3.0

The distance is maybe only 2.3miles last I remember seeing but im not really sure because I don't pay very much attention to that aspect of it.

Sorry but you are not burning 700 cal walking 2 miles on a treadmill, and you are burning more walking outside. It doesn't matter where you walk.
  • ReneeIsReady
    ReneeIsReady Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Oh, and read this article about gross calorie burn v net calorie burn. Turns out we have been doing it wrong!

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/articles/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn.aspx

Very helpful website, thanks for this!
  • mandieme0w
    Options
    DON'T trust the calorie calculations at the gym on the machines! Get a heart rate monitor :) I have the Polar FT4 and absolutely love it. However, I don't always trust it either. I usually take off 50-75 calories from what it says I burn.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I agree that you are almost certainly not burning 700 per hour walking at that speed. I probably wouldn't burn that if I *ran* for the same amount of time. Without knowing your weight, though, it is hard to say exactly. I've heard figures like 100 calories per mile thrown around...I imagine your burn probably lies somewhere in the middle of the two numbers, e.g. ~400 calories per hour of walking. But that is possibly on the high-side of estimates as well. You will need to get a heart rate monitor if you wish to be more certain of your calorie expenditure.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    DON'T trust the calorie calculations at the gym on the machines! Get a heart rate monitor :) I have the Polar FT4 and absolutely love it. However, I don't always trust it either. I usually take off 50-75 calories from what it says I burn.

Me too! With both the FT4 and reducing that number a wee bit. I tend to round down to the nearest hundred and then eat back 100% of those calories. It works perfectly for me.