TDEE:

Options
Can someone explain in simple terms what TDEE means? I calculated my TDEE on a website and it said it was 2718 and my BMR was 1754. I exercise 3 to 4 times per week for 30-60 minutes. Mostly cardio. I would like to know how many calories to eat to lose 2 pounds per week. Thank you.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    With 17 pounds to go you should not be trying for 2 pounds per week as that will result in a lot of muscle loss rather than fat loss.

TDEE is the total calories you burn in a day. A pound of fat has 3500 calories, so to lose 2 pounds per week you need to take 1000 off your TDEE. As stated, unless you are obese that is too aggresive. I would suggest taking 20% off your TDEE which is 2174. Probably 2000 calories would be a good goal. Eating less than your BMR is generally discouraged.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LynndaMaree
    LynndaMaree Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    @rileysowner. Hello. My ticker is just my first 50 pounds I'm trying to get off. I'm taking them 50 pounds at a time. This is my first 50 pound goal. I have a total of 125.00 I am trying to lose. I have lost 33 and have 92 more to go. Sorry I didn't explain it correctly. :)
  • LynndaMaree
    LynndaMaree Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the great information. I'll definitely use it.