Reuse Ziploc bags

Options
Hey everyone,

Since eating healthier, I've realized that I'm using a lot of little baggies. I just dont want to be wasteful but have no other way. Do any of you guys reuse your ziploc bags?? If so, do you just clean them? Do you only reuse when it had certain items in them?

Thanks

Replies

• mindymoe1
    Options
    i do reuse! its great and your grocery bill is less lol. i just rinse them out and turn them inside out to dry and turn them back when dry and fill again
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,
    I too re-use my bags. I put them in my soapy dish water and wash them just like anyother item. If you put tomato sauce etc. in a bag it may stain the bag and therefore I won't re-use it but most everything else I can re-use.

Hope that helps :laugh:

Mary
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i reuse mine too. the only exceptions for me are: bags that i put shredded cheese in (pain to clean lol) and bags that i put my chicken or hamburger in when raw. I buy my meat in bulk and seperate it out into baggies then freeze them. So in order to absolutely make sure we dont get food poisoning from not washing it completely (which we do, I am just paranoid we may miss a spot lol) I throw those out.
  • pam3046
    pam3046 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i have been reusing them for about 1-1/2 years. I don't reuse all them, it just depends on what you have put in them and where i am at when i use the bag. I'll bring them home from lunch but don't make the kids do it. I wash them in hot soapy water and dry them. People think I'm nuts to do it but oh well, penny's saved!!!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i agree the little tupperware/ziploc/glad containers work great for little snacks...they end up being a little more bulky and take up more space in your bag but they also keep stuff from being squished/crushed/broken....i use half and half...i do reuse the snack bags for dry snacks or fruit or bread.....i throw away the ones from the meat or anything that has "germs".....
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'm with Wendy - we buy two boxes of Ziploc bags per year, but we reuse pyrex and plastic containers (but I'm trying to keep away from BPA) and steel water bottles exclusively. Sure they take up a little more room in my lunch bag sometimes, but if I ever have kids, I know I will have reduced my footprint in hopes that they'll have a clean environment!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Yes, by all means reuse! Reuse those suckers until they HAVE to be trashed! Ziploc bags are expensive, and the DO NOT decompose in landfills. They are terrible for the environment, but a necessary evil. So by all means... rinse them out, dry them, and reuse reuse reuse!!!
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    Like everyone else that's posted, I reuse....but I also recently bought some fabric ziploc-type bags that can go in the dishwasher. They're awesome and eco-friendly. I've been using them on a daily basis in my lunch.

There are a ton of different brands and varieties out there, but these are the ones I bought and highly recommend:

http://www.lunchskins.com/home.php?cat=
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Really need to reconsider those baggies.... between the food that I pack for me and husband for the day, we waste a lot! :embarassed: