Keep muscle mass without lifting?

Options
So I've got an appt with a doc next week about my workout issue the other week (see my forum posts).

at this point I'm afraid to go to the gym, I don't want to actually do damage if something is seriously wrong.

I'm still counting cals (but I'm doing royally crappy at it due to getting sick, slowly getting back on track), but I'm afraid of losing all that muscle mass.

Any suggestions that won't nessecerily do damage if there is any to be done?

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and be sure to have an adequate amount of protein in your diet
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    So I can't lose anymore weight without losing my muscle mass?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    see my forum posts

Your list of posts is locked, so without a random hunt around the site there is no way to know what your issue is, and what constraints it places on you.
    I'm still counting cals (but I'm doing royally crappy at it due to getting sick, slowly getting back on track), but I'm afraid of losing all that muscle mass.

Can you do bodyweight work?
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Please provide info as to why no lifting is allowed? Also, if you don't lift for some time, you will lose your muscle mass, however, you can easily build it back once lifting again..
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    see my forum posts

Your list of posts is locked, so without a random hunt around the site there is no way to know what your issue is, and what constraints it places on you.

Can you do bodyweight work?

I think so but I'm not sure, it's really alll due to my joint issues I've been having. I know I could probably do planks, but I'm not sure about anything else.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    Please provide info as to why no lifting is allowed? Also, if you don't lift for some time, you will lose your muscle mass, however, you can easily build it back once lifting again..

I had an issue a couple weeks ago where I did a lifting session and ended up spending 6 hours on the couch that night with very acute and painful muscle and joint inflamation, like it went all the way up my neck and spine down to my fingers and toes., that same day I got gastroenteritis, doctors didn't see a connection, so I don't want to do any lifting until I see a doctor to make sure it's nothing serious.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    So I can't lose anymore weight without losing my muscle mass?

Correct
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Most people on here losing weight dont have much muscle mass to begin with. If you werent training prior to this weight loss, the increase in muscle loss will be minimal. Is this optimal? No. But its better than just sitting at maintenance for a prolonged time frame. Keep protein levels up where they should be.

If you're jacked, and you cut down and cease training, you're going to see pronounced muscle loss.

the ratio of fat to muscle loss will be less desirable, but, it wont be nearly as bad as it would be for somebody who is packing a lot of lean mass.

Make sense?
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ^
    Your body is smarter than you think. If you stop weight-training for let's say a month, your body realizes its physical demands have decreased--ergo "feeling smaller".

"Use it or lose it."
  • ND_Figgzie
    ND_Figgzie Posts: 1,480
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and be sure to have an adequate amount of protein in your diet

+1
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you take a short break from lifting and lose some muscle, when you start back up your muscles will quickly return to their previous size.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    I disagree. Most people on here losing weight dont have much muscle mass to begin with. If you werent training prior to this weight loss, the increase in muscle loss will be minimal. Is this optimal? No. But its better than just sitting at maintenance for a prolonged time frame. Keep protein levels up where they should be.

If you're jacked, and you cut down and cease training, you're going to see pronounced muscle loss.

the ratio of fat to muscle loss will be less desirable, but, it wont be nearly as bad as it would be for somebody who is packing a lot of lean mass.

Make sense?

Si, si it does. I'm just not sure where I am on that scale. I'm thinking I had a bit because when I start losing muscle mass in my back I start getting slipped disks. I'm currently sititng here hoping the one I've been suffering with all day goes back in place.

How bad would it be if I just cut calories, then lost a bunch of fat, then began weight lifting again when I'm not throwing 250+lbs on my joints + whatever weight I can tolerate?