Less calories when taking a break from exercise?

Options
I am working out 5 days a week for 30 minutes if body weight training and up to an hour if walking/jogging. When I take a break from exercising should I eat less calories or remain at my goal?

Replies

• sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    For example: If you take a 30min brake during a 60min run (so in total you only ran for 30min), then obviously you should only log 30min.

But I myself wouldn't be too bothered by if'd you only take a short brake for like 5-10min, unless you're very strict with your calories.
  • katarinadaly
    Options
    I am working out 5 days a week for 30 minutes if body weight training and up to an hour if walking/jogging. When I take a break from exercising should I eat less calories or remain at my goal?
    By break do you mean taking a couple of weeks of from working out?

No I work out 5 days a week. take a break 2 days of the week. I do only log what exercise I do each day. I'm wondering if on the 2 days I don't work out if I should eat less than my calorie goal..
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Your MFP goal is what you should eat when you're not exercising. There is already a calorie deficit worked into that goal so you shouldn't be cutting lower.

When you work out you should be logging exercise and eating back your exercise calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

No I work out 5 days a week. take a break 2 days of the week. I do only log what exercise I do each day. I'm wondering if on the 2 days I don't work out if I should eat less than my calorie goal..

Are you following MFP?
    MFP is designed so that you aim for their calorie goal on days you don't work out. On days you do, you log the exercise and eat more. So your goal should always be at least what MFP suggests.

If you do TDEE, it is averaged over a week so you eat the same everyday.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

If you are using MFP as designed....you EARN extra calories on workout days. So you eat your goal on rest days....and eat MORE on workout days. This is because MFP gave you a calorie deficit with ZERO exercise included. Just keep in mind MFP calorie burn "guestimates" are fairly generous.

If you are using TDEE less a %.....then your workouts are averaged into the total. This allows you to eat the same calories everyday......just a different method.
  • katarinadaly
    Options
    Thank you to the two of you that cleared that up for me. I usually stay 100 cals under my goal just because the work outs are a bit generous on here.