RI30 and no weight loss

Options
Hi,

I am working away from home (UK) and am living in a hotel in India. The food available to me are either deep fried or drenched in ghee and butter. I have since gained advice from you lovely people and have adjusted my diet.

I initially tried to eat 1200 calories a day, however, failed miserably everyday, so I have upped my calories to 1400 and I find that is much more attainable. And I am less tempted by food as a result too. So for the last two weeks, I have been eating 1400 calories a day and exercising to Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 4 times a week. But there has been no weight loss.

I have been trying to lose weight for 6 weeks now and have seen no results. My weight is always fluctuating up and down by 1-2 pounds. Neither does my clothes feel any loser.

Please can someone give me some advice on best way to break through this.

I was thinking of doing RI30 no longer (I am on week 4 now) and doing just jogging on the spot for 15-30 mins in the mornings. I am a little restricted for exercise, as I am a single parent with a 3 year old, so can't leave her alone.

Replies

• rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I should add, I am female, age 32, height 5ft 3inch, currently weighing 165.2 lb.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If you are living away in a hotel are you able to weigh what you eat? When you don't lose weight it normally means you are not in a deficit.

The good news is that you aren't gaining either
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    If you are living away in a hotel are you able to weigh what you eat? When you don't lose weight it normally means you are not in a deficit.

No, I have no access to scales. Neither do I have control of how much oil etc is put into the food. I try to use cup/tablespoon measurements. And I am increasingly eating more salads with no dressing - which I don't record as I think that has very little calories.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    With that kind of unsurety of what you're eating, you could be over-eating bc of oils and such... can you buy fresh food from the market to at least help off set it a little bit? In any case, don't give up... Maybe ask around though and see if there's some other food available that have less oils or aren't fried.
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    With that kind of unsurety of what you're eating, you could be over-eating bc of oils and such... can you buy fresh food from the market to at least help off set it a little bit? In any case, don't give up... Maybe ask around though and see if there's some other food available that have less oils or aren't fried.
    Well I have educated myself on India foods so I am aware of what is healthier a bit more. Also, I always request for minimal oil etc. And sometimes I just eat salads with no dressing so that there is no fat in that.
    I defo don't want to give up and continue to lose weight whilst I'm out here....
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    Well I have educated myself on India foods so I am aware of what is healthier a bit more. Also, I always request for minimal oil etc. And sometimes I just eat salads with no dressing so that there is no fat in that.
    I defo don't want to give up and continue to lose weight whilst I'm out here....

Whether you continue to lose weight while in India may depend on how far you want to go. Don't feel embarrassed about buying a cheap digital scale and weighing things before you eat them (even in a hotel) You will then get a better idea of the portion control.

Also log the salads, even with no dressing, because it helps you build up a complete picture.

With exercise remember that the calorie entries on MFP are often overstated so maybe reduce the calories burnt by 30%. It will be a little bit of trial and error but there is no reason why you cannot start shedding lbs
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    It would also help if you log everything and open your food diary for suggestions (although I have no experience with real Indian food)
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    It would also help if you log everything and open your food diary for suggestions (although I have no experience with real Indian food)
    How do I open my diary?
  • rencawdor24
    Options

Whether you continue to lose weight while in India may depend on how far you want to go. Don't feel embarrassed about buying a cheap digital scale and weighing things before you eat them (even in a hotel) You will then get a better idea of the portion control.

Also log the salads, even with no dressing, because it helps you build up a complete picture.

With exercise remember that the calorie entries on MFP are often overstated so maybe reduce the calories burnt by 30%. It will be a little bit of trial and error but there is no reason why you cannot start shedding lbs
    I have stopped entering my exercise in MFP and am just trying to eat within 1400 calories.
    I hadn't thought about buying food scales for and weighing food when I eat in my room - I'll try find out where I can get one from.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you have been doing the RI 30 for just 2 weeks you will be retaining water/Glycogen for another week or two...just be patient.

It is hard when you have to eat at a resturant with portions but just do the best you can and with the exercise you should see some sort of change shortly.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

No, I have no access to scales. Neither do I have control of how much oil etc is put into the food. I try to use cup/tablespoon measurements. And I am increasingly eating more salads with no dressing - which I don't record as I think that has very little calories.
    still need to record what's in the salad
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am working away from home (UK) and am living in a hotel in India. The food available to me are either deep fried or drenched in ghee and butter. I have since gained advice from you lovely people and have adjusted my diet.

I initially tried to eat 1200 calories a day, however, failed miserably everyday, so I have upped my calories to 1400 and I find that is much more attainable. And I am less tempted by food as a result too. So for the last two weeks, I have been eating 1400 calories a day and exercising to Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 4 times a week. But there has been no weight loss.

I have been trying to lose weight for 6 weeks now and have seen no results. My weight is always fluctuating up and down by 1-2 pounds. Neither does my clothes feel any loser.

I was thinking of doing RI30 no longer (I am on week 4 now) and doing just jogging on the spot for 15-30 mins in the mornings. I am a little restricted for exercise, as I am a single parent with a 3 year old, so can't leave her alone.
    im confused how you work if you can't leave your 3 yr old? Can you take her for walks to get exercise? If you aren't losing you are eating too much
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    If you have been doing the RI 30 for just 2 weeks you will be retaining water/Glycogen for another week or two...just be patient.

It is hard when you have to eat at a resturant with portions but just do the best you can and with the exercise you should see some sort of change shortly.
    I am now on week 4 of RI 30. Do you think I should persevere and finish RI30? I was thinking of doing a few more days, then switching to cardio as its obviously not working for me.
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    Hi,

im confused how you work if you can't leave your 3 yr old? Can you take her for walks to get exercise? If you aren't losing you are eating too much
    At the moment, I am doing exercise video - Ripped in 30 whilst she is asleep in the mornings.
    I have tried taking her for walks, but she walks so slow that I don't break a sweat. Its just a leasurely walk.
  • ronbo62098
    ronbo62098 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A couple quick notes from what I see in your food diary. First, there are several "quick calorie" adds. Don't do that unless you really have to. Find out how much the food contains and add the food - even if you have to make up the food item yourself. Second, most days you are at or slightly over your 1400 goal, but you said you aren't logging your salads. Log everything. If it goes in your stomach, it goes in your log. Given your slightly over days (100-200 calories) plus not logged salads (maybe another 100-200 calories if you're eating a lot), you could be way over your target without realizing it. Finally, stick with your exercise - but not to lose weight - exercise to get/stay healthy and strong. Your diet will have a MUCH greater effect on your weight, thus the importance of logging everything as accurately as possible.
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    A couple quick notes from what I see in your food diary. First, there are several "quick calorie" adds. Don't do that unless you really have to. Find out how much the food contains and add the food - even if you have to make up the food item yourself. Second, most days you are at or slightly over your 1400 goal, but you said you aren't logging your salads. Log everything. If it goes in your stomach, it goes in your log. Given your slightly over days (100-200 calories) plus not logged salads (maybe another 100-200 calories if you're eating a lot), you could be way over your target without realizing it. Finally, stick with your exercise - but not to lose weight - exercise to get/stay healthy and strong. Your diet will have a MUCH greater effect on your weight, thus the importance of logging everything as accurately as possible.
    Thanks for advice. I will try to log everything including the salads and see how it goes over the next two weeks.