Working out when sick

Options
Do you? I know it's frowned on and you should do the neck check etc.

I have a little sore throat right now, and I'm craving a workout (I forced myself to have a quiet weekend as well). Please tell me it's safe to do some cardio.

Replies

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I am so close to literally slapping the next person I see at the gym that's sick... When you're at gym, you're putting your central nervous system under strain, thus being more prone to getting sick. By going to the gym sick, you're potentially going to make other people at the gym sick.

Don't be selfish. Recover then train. It's better for your health in any case.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you're up for it go ahead. You must not be all that sick if you have the energy to work out so just do whatever you feel you're able to do.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Working out when sick actually helps me feel much better. If I have a cold, it usually goes away much quicker than when I do not.

ETA: Outside, not at the gym lmao.
  • supermysza
    Options
    I am so close to literally slapping the next person I see at the gym that's sick... When you're at gym, you're putting your central nervous system under strain, thus being more prone to getting sick. By going to the gym sick, you're potentially going to make other people at the gym sick.

You will not be putting your CNS under strain by doing physical exercise unless it's something that requires lots of coordination or focus (which is not the case with most cardio) so let's just get that nonsense out of the way.
    Secondly, your CNS is not responsible for illness recovery. Yes, it'll coordinate the immune response but that will take as much effort on it's part as remembering to make you breathe.
    Thirdly, no, exercising will not make you more prone to getting sick. Less prone if anything.
    And lastly, if he's feeling well enough to exercise he must be finishing the course of his illness meaning he's well able for it if he feels like it.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If I feel up for it, I do. If not, Then no. Listen to your body, maybe go easy just in case?
  • amykr93
    amykr93 Posts: 65
    Options
    I think it depends on how sick you are, and how well you cope with it.

If I have a little headache/sore throat/cough/sniffle etc then I still work out.
    However, on Friday just passed I threw up almost every 15 minutes from 3am to 7am. I was then to achy to move my body and definitely didn't exercise. I also didn't exercise on Saturday, because although I felt a mile better, I didn't want to push it.

I also don't work out in a gym, and so don't run the risk of spreading any nasties about.

If you feel like you can do a little cardio, then go for it, but listen to your body and stop if it's too much!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Please don't come to the gym if you're hacking and sneezing all over stuff. As to whether a workout would be good for you... If you have the urge, I say give it a try at home or outdoors, just start light and slow. My son has found that hitting the weights when he's somewhat under the weather often makes him feel better... He figures that's because it increases oxygen flow.
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Well certainly stay out of gym. Dont spread your sickness, thats for sure. Well and about home-workout, depends what is sick acording to you. Having a serious fever or just kind of an itch back in a throat a little. I excersise unless my temp is really high or i have severe headache which only happens when i get high temp so..., Anyway, never had problems recovering under 2 days completely. And even more so since i started to take notice of my micronutrients, mostly minerals like zinc (imo anyone should supplement this, if not daily then definitely at least when sick), copper, magnesium, etc... I havent even been sick for over two years (and we have cold winters here where i live). So it may just be me being able to fight it off, so to answer your question, im pretty sure the fact wether you can traind depends on your actual immediate immunity capabilities. Thats a thing only you can assess by personal feeling and health record from recent past.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

You will not be putting your CNS under strain by doing physical exercise unless it's something that requires lots of coordination or focus (which is not the case with most cardio) so let's just get that nonsense out of the way.
    Secondly, your CNS is not responsible for illness recovery. Yes, it'll coordinate the immune response but that will take as much effort on it's part as remembering to make you breathe.
    Thirdly, no, exercising will not make you more prone to getting sick. Less prone if anything.
    And lastly, if he's feeling well enough to exercise he must be finishing the course of his illness meaning he's well able for it if he feels like it.

Just curious are you a doctor or a nurse?

I am sick a lot but with a long term illness so I just have to push through or I would be not doing anything. What I do on a really bad day is take a little walk, nothing fast, just a good leisurely walk and if I think I can handle it, some yoga.
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well I did this workout and feel so much better for it. Thank you for the advice.

I have an Infiniti rowing machine at home, so never bother with gyms anyway.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Sick-*kitten*-sick. Stay home from everything and nurse myself back to health. No lingering sickness via "tough it out" nonsense. I cannot understand why some of my friends do this. It just lingers forever as their poor body struggles along or puts them in the hospital. Ditto on spreading the germs about! Bah!

Starting to get sick, sniffles, sore throaty, vague malaise etc... stay home and do a very light workout and keep a sharp eye on how I feel. Baby myself with diet and sleep.
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    1) Don't go if you think you're contagious. Even if you think you're in the clear, disinfect everything you touch. That's common courtesy.
    2) If you're running a fever or feel weak or lethargic, don't go. You feel crappy because your body is working hard to fight infection. Don't add more stress into that. Also, refer to point number 1.
    3) If you just have a cold, increased blood flow can help make you feel better. Again, however, refer to number 1.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I went to Body Combat tonight. I have this cold the comes with a sore throat and I just didn't have the energy to give it my all and occasionally felt sick. I'm glad I went though.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options

Can I see studies seconding your statements? I'd love to read them.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Generally, I will attempt the workout...then if I am feeling worse after about 10 minutes I call it. However...I won't go to a gym and I won't do a class...there is no reason for me to spread my germs to others and spread the dread.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I went for a run on a mega hangover on Sunday and I felt SO much better afterwards!! :drinker:
  • supermysza
    Options

Can I see studies seconding your statements? I'd love to read them.

Read any basic human physiology book. Sherwood has one that's easy to follow
    http://books.google.ie/books?id=gOmpysGBC90C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false