calories burnt HRM vs GYM EQUIPMENT...

Options
Hi there,

I've seen a lot of posts along the lines of "the elliptical trainer has said i've burnt 800 cals, how many have I really burnt..."
The simple answer it get a HRM. I use a polar one and it's amazing!
However I thought I'd give you my figures from my last 2 workouts on what the elliptical trainer told me I had burnt, and what my HRM told me. Obviously this won't mean it will be the same for you as we all burn different amount of cals depending on weight etc, but hopefully it will give you an idea of how much it overestimates calories burnt.

56 mins of Elliptical Training:
Machine said: 732
HRM said: 557

57 mins of Elliptical Training:
Machine said: 742
HRM said: 566

Replies

• Honeycat89
    Honeycat89 Posts: 149
    Options
    It all adds up, If you're eating back your cals and eat back the imaginary cals the gym equipment has told you you have burnt then you will gain!
  • Nottm1984
    Nottm1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing - I bought a HRM and have had a lot more success with weight loss as the machines at my gym were showing me as having burned more calories than my HRM now tells me I am.
  • redflamelily
    redflamelily Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM as well as like you have all said the gym equipment is not really accurate, it only gives a rough guide as to what you are burning up. HRM are relatively cheap if you don't need all the other information.
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a gym person but go running quite a lot. I got a HRM for christmas and it has really helped tracking actual calories and I've found my current weight loss regime is a lot more successful than previous ones.
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    That's another reason why the TDEE method is much simpler. No way i will buy a HRM
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It all adds up, If you're eating back your cals and eat back the imaginary cals the gym equipment has told you you have burnt then you will gain!

Quite.

People like to 'see' high numbers. I can understand that, it makes them feel like they have worked out.

I use a HRM with my Garmin watch - that and my weight 'probably' gives a reasonable figure but I still treat it as on the high side (I'm 72Kgs and ran 10Km yesterday in 58 mins and was given the cals as 753 on Endomondo , 855!!! on Strava and 867 on Garmin Connect ... Now if THESE Expert sites can't agree then Mr and Mrs Average has NO Chance!!)
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I'm bought this one on Amazon.

Sigma PC10.11 Heart Rate Monitor

I went with this one because it was inexpensive. (at the time and location I bought it anyway) I am completely happy with my watch, have had it for a year, and it has never been anything but accurate. The only downside for me personally is that the Polar watches are a lot cuter. Mine is pretty big and boxy, but it gets the job done.

So much better than guessing or trusting some piece of gym equipment.
  • Honeycat89
    Options
    I chose this one because it's SO PRETTY, and i'm slightly pink obsessed...

10251365_725241280832640_973912528_a_zps3cee1116.jpg
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    That's another reason why the TDEE method is much simpler. No way i will buy a HRM

I also use the TDEE but for me personally, using a HRM makes working out more fun. I like to aim for a higher calorie burn, and I think I workout harder because of it. But that's just me of course. :happy:
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Here's my question though: when I'm doing C25K on the treadmill, the machine says I burn about 200 calories, but my HRM says 260-280. How is my HRM, an FT4, estimating more than the treadmill?
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Here's my question though: when I'm doing C25K on the treadmill, the machine says I burn about 200 calories, but my HRM says 260-280. How is my HRM, an FT4, estimating more than the treadmill?

Does the 'machine even ask you for your weight? .. If not .. it's has zero idea how much energy that you are expending.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    don't forget the hrm is still an estimate of calories though
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've seen a lot of posts along the lines of "the elliptical trainer has said i've burnt 800 cals, how many have I really burnt..."
    However I thought I'd give you my figures from my last 2 workouts on what the elliptical trainer told me I had burnt, and what my HRM told me. Obviously this won't mean it will be the same for you as we all burn different amount of cals depending on weight etc, but hopefully it will give you an idea of how much it overestimates calories burnt.

I always find it interesting how people will arbitrarily accept one number on a dial as being "more accurate" than another number on another dial. Especially since most of them don't know how either number was calculated.

It is incorrect to assert that: A) HRMs are inherently more accurate at estimating calories than other methods; B) HRMs are "always" more accurate than machines, or C) everyone should buy an HRM to get a "accurate" calorie count. At best, HRMs are rough estimates, and that is ONLY under a very narrow range of exercise conditions. For that 30% of the population that has a higher-than-average HRmax, they are no more accurate than a machine, a database table, or reading tea leaves.

In the case of ellipticals, HRMs are more likely to be more "accurate" than the machine readings, but even then they will not be as consistent over time. Some machines are inherently more accurate than HRMs (e.g. commercial treadmills).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/exercise-calories-sometimes-the-cardio-machines-are-more-accurate-404739
  • Honeycat89
    Options
    Hi there,

I always find it interesting how people will arbitrarily accept one number on a dial as being "more accurate" than another number on another dial. Especially since most of them don't know how either number was calculated.

It is incorrect to assert that: A) HRMs are inherently more accurate at estimating calories than other methods; B) HRMs are "always" more accurate than machines, or C) everyone should buy an HRM to get a "accurate" calorie count. At best, HRMs are rough estimates, and that is ONLY under a very narrow range of exercise conditions. For that 30% of the population that has a higher-than-average HRmax, they are no more accurate than a machine, a database table, or reading tea leaves.

In the case of ellipticals, HRMs are more likely to be more "accurate" than the machine readings, but even then they will not be as consistent over time. Some machines are inherently more accurate than HRMs (e.g. commercial treadmills).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/exercise-calories-sometimes-the-cardio-machines-are-more-accurate-404739

On most gym equipment you cannot input age and weight. Therefore meaning the calories burned is not accurate. Even the heart rate sensors on the equipment are not always accurate. HRM's know your age and weight and the chest strap is much more accurate than handle bars so it is a much better representation of calories burnt.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I chose this one because it's SO PRETTY, and i'm slightly pink obsessed...

10251365_725241280832640_973912528_a_zps3cee1116.jpg
    Do you wear that on the top of your wrist, or under it? Mine is pink too and has a chest strap, but its not a Polar. Its a Pyle Sports. It took me a couple days to figure stuff out, but with some helpful comments here and a lot of online research, I think I have it all figured out. :)
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options

Does the 'machine even ask you for your weight? .. If not .. it's has zero idea how much energy that you are expending.

Yes, it does.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

Yes, it does.

Cool - that's good data for it to work from.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

On most gym equipment you cannot input age and weight. Therefore meaning the calories burned is not accurate. Even the heart rate sensors on the equipment are not always accurate. HRM's know your age and weight and the chest strap is much more accurate than handle bars so it is a much better representation of calories burnt.

I would not say "most" gym equipment does not allow you to imput age and weight. The cheaper models tend not to be a lot of models do, it will depend on your gym. .

Did you read his post? It is really very good. It addresses everything you have posted there.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options

Yes, it does.

But how do I know which one is more accurate?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yes, it does.

But how do I know which one is more accurate?

There is a difference of 60-80 calories. Both are estimates and that is not a huge difference to begin with. Well within acceptable variation.

Keep in mind though that intervals will affect the accuracy of the HRM, their calories estimation formulas are designed for steady state cardio, which C25k is not. When you stop running to walk, your HR is still elevated. The HRM does not know the difference and is still estimating calories at that intensity.

I always go with the lowest number anyway.