Jogging on the spot

Options
Has anyone lost weight jogging on the spot?
I am thinking of doing that every morning - starting slow and then working up to 30 mins a day because I don't have time for much more.

Replies

• MissBounceUK
    MissBounceUK Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't know about doing this exercise exclusively, but normally once or twice a week, I'll do this for half an hour whilst I'm watching a bit of TV. Always work up a sweat and burn a nice little handful of calories at the same time. Any time you're moving your body and raising your heart rate, you're helping contribute to that weight-loss (as long as it's in conjunction with a balanced and healthy diet).
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    LOL yes! I was doing an insanity tape and he got to the part that I just could not do so I jogged in place and my HRM still kept moving up :) Good to know right?
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the same thing as jogging on the treadmill?
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I currently have a desk job (midnights) and if I'm not busy I will jog around or in place behind my desk. Anything to burn a few extra calories!
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    watch out for impact damage. maybe use a rubber mat or something to reduce impact, otherwise go for it
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I think so, without any inclinations/steepness.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yeah one of my friends on here included jogging on the spot in his diary most days and he hit his target of about 30lb loss quite easily combining it with his diet, wear trainers when you do it though!
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    You know...this is actually a good idea. I always think I should work out when watching TV. I think I'll wear my heart rate monitor and give it a try. I'll try to do it tonight (already worked out this morning) and will let you know what I burned in 30 minutes...if I can do it that long!

Edited cause I just mess up a lot.
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    Yeah one of my friends on here included jogging on the spot in his diary most days and he hit his target of about 30lb loss quite easily combining it with his diet, wear trainers when you do it though!
    Oh really?
    Did he primarily do jogging on the spot? Or did he combine it with other exercise.
    I was planning on primarily doing jogging on the spot, with my heart rate up whilst catching up on the news in the mornings.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    No reason why not. You can add variants to avoid boredom - jog from room to room, high knees, interval sprints, bum kicks, in and outs (wide to narrow).

If time, money and having to work out at home are what are stopping you doing anything else, try online exercise videos; Google Leslie Sansone Walk At Home or the BeFit YouTube channel.
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Before I got my exercise bike at home I used to do this for up to 30 mins when I was at home and the weather was rubbish and I didn't want to go out for a run or to the pool :laugh:

For me it always worked just as well as a normal 'work out' and it's one of those ones you can do with the TV on which is nice.

I used to add in 10/15 step ups on a single step we have in our house, once every few minutes, just to keep from getting bored. I also added in jumping jacks/star jumps once, but that was a mistake because they are harder than they look and I nearly died.

A bit of caution - definitely wear good shock insulated footwear as this exercise always gave me slightly sore heels if I didn't. Also wear a good bra - the ladies will get a bit of a jiggling with this workout! :laugh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Or ummm... moving? I mean, you're really just jumping up and down if you think about it.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Oh really?
    Did he primarily do jogging on the spot? Or did he combine it with other exercise.
    I was planning on primarily doing jogging on the spot, with my heart rate up whilst catching up on the news in the mornings.

As far as I recall, he was doing it because he lived on campus and the gym was too expensive! He did about 15 minute jogging on the spot (I guess you don't have to do 15 minutes non-stop), as well as jumping jacks and skipping rope (you can 'skip rope' without the rope, of course), all of these are great cardio you can do at home. He also included basic body-weight exercises to help him along, things like push-ups and squats and lunges. You will see results if you stick with it. Also, I'm sure someone will have mentioned it somewhere but in case they haven't, have you tried Leslie Sansone workouts? It's just walking on the spot with a few side steps and sometimes you can carry dumbbells while you do it too. There are LOADS on youtube, worth check them out! :D
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    No reason why not. You can add variants to avoid boredom - jog from room to room, high knees, interval sprints, bum kicks, in and outs (wide to narrow).

If time, money and having to work out at home are what are stopping you doing anything else, try online exercise videos; Google Leslie Sansone Walk At Home or the BeFit YouTube channel.
    I'm staying at a hotel for work and I have a 3 year old daughter, so can't leave her and go gym. Also internet is limited in the hotel.
  • rencawdor24
    Options
    Before I got my exercise bike at home I used to do this for up to 30 mins when I was at home and the weather was rubbish and I didn't want to go out for a run or to the pool :laugh:

For me it always worked just as well as a normal 'work out' and it's one of those ones you can do with the TV on which is nice.

I used to add in 10/15 step ups on a single step we have in our house, once every few minutes, just to keep from getting bored. I also added in jumping jacks/star jumps once, but that was a mistake because they are harder than they look and I nearly died.

A bit of caution - definitely wear good shock insulated footwear as this exercise always gave me slightly sore heels if I didn't. Also wear a good bra - the ladies will get a bit of a jiggling with this worokout! :laugh:
    Hi, did you manage to lose any weight whilst jogging on the spot? If so, how often did you do it?
    I wasn't planing on wearing trainers, but I will now.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

A bit of caution - definitely wear good shock insulated footwear as this exercise always gave me slightly sore heels if I didn't. Also wear a good bra - the ladies will get a bit of a jiggling with this worokout! :laugh:
    Hi, did you manage to lose any weight whilst jogging on the spot? If so, how often did you do it?
    I wasn't planing on wearing trainers, but I will now.

weight loss comes from a calorie deficit- so if you are eating at a deficit or you burn enough to create a deficit you'll lose. That's how this works.

Running in place is work- not AS hard as running itself- but it's work- it's like a lower impact- less technically challenging version of jump roping. Jump ropes are like 5-7 bucks so I prefer that- or actually running- but that's me.... If running in place is what works for you- do so. There is no 'right' answer.

As far as shoes- I work out barefoot all the time- you get used to it. Do what you are comfortable with and what your body is okay with.
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    weight loss comes from a calorie deficit- so if you are eating at a deficit or you burn enough to create a deficit you'll lose. That's how this works.

This is exactly what I was going to say in response to your question. I honestly cannot tell you whether running on the spot as your sole activity would help you lose weight better or worse than any other exercise, as I always used it as one of many 'workouts', but the calorie deficit it created worked just like any other :) I have lost 40lbs total so far.

Best of luck!
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know this is an old post, but in case the OP sees it, I jogged, jumped, kicked, punched, basically just moved in place for 45 minutes and my HRM watch said I burned 240 calories, so yes, it is definitely a good workout for your limited situation. I did it on my yoga mat to muffle the sound, and to add some cushioning. It was actually fun, I plan on doing it again! :happy:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    it has nothing to do with weight loss.

calorie deficit = weight loss.

if you want to job on the spot to increase calorie burns then yes that will help ….

why would you just jog in one place though? Sounds to me like it would get pretty boring... why not go outside and run?
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Or ummm... moving? I mean, you're really just jumping up and down if you think about it.
    I'm not getting your point if you are trying to make one??????

I think the point was that it's a different motion - on a treadmill you do a pretty normal stride reaching forward with each step. Jogging on the spot is, as stated, basically jumping up and down. Both are exercise, this was just a response to the question about it being like using a treadmill.