Working out with a cold?

Options
ljmcf
ljmcf Posts: 98 Member
Hey everyone

A bit of advice! I'm feeling under the weather today, nothing major, just a cold...I didn't sleep well last night as I was all choked up, probably got about 5 hours interrupted sleep. I'm still choked up today, sneezing, and have a runny nose! Am feeling some pressure on my sinuses. Should I be going to body pump and/or body combat feeling like this?

I was thinking to myself I won't bother going but then I wonder am I just making excuses (which I have been good at doing in the past!) Obviously I don't want to pass on my cold, but am I technically well enough to workout? Today was to be the first day of body pump & combat (used to do double classes all the time but this would be my first day back to it).

Advice very gratefully received!

Replies

• softncudly
    softncudly Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hi. Maybe you should wait until you're feeling better. (I'm fighting a cold also, and had considered working out.) I'm going to wait until I feel better.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I usually workout when i have a cold (runny nose, etc )
    If you have more flu like symptoms ( cough, fever, headache) i'd say skip your workout until you feel better.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I tend to follow the rule from the neck up, go ahead, from the neck down, rest. I have found lots of times that running has cleared a stuffed up head.

On the other hand, I tend to run when sick which doesn't give me a whole lot of opportunity to infect people. I'm not sure how I would feel huffing and puffing through a class with someone sneezing beside me.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    On behalf of those those who also use the gym, please don't work out when you are sick as you are just going to help spread the virus around. I say the same thing to coworkers who INSIST that they must come to the office when they are ill.

Just please, keep your germs at home!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    You sound like you had the same night I just did. I am feeling like crap, but still planning on working out because I have an elliptical/bike at home and a nice area for walking. I would say to hold off today if you are going to a class, just to avoid making others sick too. If its something at home, go for it but just keep it low key.
  • ljmcf
    ljmcf Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I think I'll stay at home and take it easy today. I have some small weights in the house - will have a shot at those and at least I'm doing something that way!

For those of you who also feel ill - hope you feel better soon! :)
  • ranks39
    ranks39 Posts: 14
    Options
    I also will work out with a cold, as long as I'm not dizzy! If I have a runny nose/headache/etc., I also usually feel better after my workout!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If its just a cold....go and sweat it out, as long as you're not hacking or sneezing all over other people or the equipment at the gym (or if you have a fever).
  • FlatTummyTrish
    FlatTummyTrish Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I found that in the first days of my flu symptoms, working out actually made me feel a bit better and when you exercise the runny nose stops (at least for me it did) but I only did Shred nothing too intense. On my full-on flu days I was way too ill do even stay balanced. So I'd say it's up to how well you feel! Good luck :)