Shift workers

karenpinkchick
karenpinkchick Posts: 85
edited September 21 in Motivation and Support
Are there many shift workers on here who find it hard to loose weight?

I do a mix of days and (mostly) night and find im too shattered to exercise sometimes (even tho I love it) and I eat so random times etc. Also im a childrens nurse and there is always rubbish in the office so when working a busy 13hr shifts with hours and hours between breaks its so hard not to eat rubbish.... I ended up eating crisps the other night as they were on hand in the office and I was ready to pass out from lack of food!! Sometimes I go the gym and just physically cant do anything coz my bodies so tired n drained!!

Anyone else in similar situation or with useful advice? :smile:

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Making time to exercise with a job like that is difficult to say the least.

However what you do have control over is food. You can bring your own with you that way you won't have to rely on whatever may be available.
  • I do bring my own breakfast (cereal, fruit, crumpets) lunch (leftovers to microwave) and snack but we arent really allowed food outside of the staffroom on day shifts.... only the chocolate, cake, biscuits etc the patients leave us... or crisps out of the snack cupboard. We are only allowed to eat our own food on our breaks which are workload dependant (sometimes we get lunch at 4pm when we start at 7am!!)

I make myself exercise even when im shattered otherwise id always use the shattered excuse :smile:
  • I work in a hospital so I know how hard it is to get to eat normally. You just have to make a plan. You can't eat at the same time every day if you work different hours from one day to the next so you plan it each day. Also just make sure you bring snacks from home. Sometimes it just takes a bit of will power to say no. I had a krispy kreme donut the other day just because it was there. Then is wasn't even good. I wasted 200 calories on that damn thing. Today I resisted the cupcakes.
  • absenceofmortality
    absenceofmortality Posts: 13 Member
    I work as an usher at a movie theater. My job involves always being on your feet, sweeping spilled popcorn, and cleaning up after people who leave their food in the auditoriums, etc. I would always tempted to eat some unopened candy my co-workers and I would find and whatnot, but eventually I had to use some self discipline. I started to drink a lot of water while I'd work. Not only would I stay hydrated for a long day on your feet, but it wouldn't leave my stomach empty, and of course I had my healthy meal from home waiting for me in my locker when my break came. :)

As TheKitsune6 said, just bring your own food, or a couple of small snacks you can eat throughout the day, and exercise on your days off or when you don't work too many hours.

Oh, and make sure you're getting enough sleep! Don't wear yourself out!
  • Thanks, thats good advice :)

Maybe I should just break the norm and bring my healthy snacks out... I dont think its a rule we cant snack on our own food I think its just that nobody does as we always have so much rubbish... I so badly need willpower and motivatin!!

Weigh day tomorrow... ill c if my weeks work has done any good :smile:
This discussion has been closed.