How do you get through a plateau?

Hi, I've been on a plateau for 2 weeks now and I am not loving it. I've been cycling (stationary bike) for 40-60 minutes, almost daily and my weight is going up not down. Do I need to change up my exercise routine? Please share what you do to break through a plateau.

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    2 weeks is not a plateau.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I don't think you can call it a plateau unless you go without a loss for 4-6 weeks or something. Maybe more.

What I do when I go a couple of weeks without a loss is to not let it bother me and keep on trucking. That is, if I know I'm doing everything right. Do you weigh and measure ALL of your food? Do you log every day? Are you honest with your logging? If so, you should be losing. Just keep doing what you're doing and the weight will come off. Weight loss is not linear, and it's normally to go a couple of weeks without losing anything.

You can change up your exercise routine if you'd like, but I wouldn't say it's necessary since this isn't actually a plateau yet.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

This and if you ever do reach a plateau start eating at a deficet you will break it.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    I've noticed that most times when people post about "plateaus" they mention how much exercise they do yet rarely mention that they are strictly adhering to the MFP calorie goals for the weight loss rate they have selected. Also have noticed that very, very few people who post they are experiencing a "plateau" keep an open diary. I wonder if there is some correlation?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member

I agree!

Your body will release the fat when it is ready. Focus on meeting your calorie deficiency and give your body the time it needs.
  • dawnmitchell6766
    dawnmitchell6766 Posts: 370 Member
    Thanks everyone! Yes, I have been logging every day and being honest about it. I'll just keep after it. Ive been trying not to eat up to all of the calories I can with the added exercise. I thought my food log was open, I'll double check that.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member

This and if you ever do reach a plateau start eating at a deficet you will break it.

This and this. "Plateau's" are nothing more than an excuse for getting lazy on your routine.

Rigger
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Keep at it. The human body can be annoying, but if you're eating at a deficit (but enough for fueling your activity) then the scale will move downward eventually. It won't be in a straight line and sometimes will even move up a little - so look for the longterm trend.

If it is a plateau (6-8 weeks of doing the right things but no change) then change things up. Try a new activity, change the intensity of an old activity, try adjusting your goal for a slower weight loss per week which would increase your calorie allowance per day. Occasionally eat at 'maintenance'. Don't let anything become too routine.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    A lot of people see this, and the two prevalent theories I've seen are: (1) gotten complacent with food tracking, so not really in a deficit and (2) if you're sure about your food tracking, then usually water retention issue. A lot of people, especially women, will see a "stall" or "plateau" on the scale for a few weeks and then get a big "whoosh", dropping 2-5 lbs in a few days. Super common -- and why some don't consider 2-4 weeks a true plateau.

Here are some good articles on it:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part_28.html

I've also seen a theory where some people believe that they're in too large of a deficit or too much training. That stresses the body and throws off the hormones which ultimately impeded weight/fat loss. So, some people back off on their work outs or slightly up their calories (for example, if they were in a 800 calorie deficit, bring it up so they're only in a 500 calorie deficit). I believe this is also one of the reasons some suggest refeeds periodically.