Significant weight loss week before period?

Options
I always hear people talking about gaining weight before/during periods, but I've been on MFP for just over 100 days now and I've noticed that I lose a pretty significant amount the week before my period.... like 4-5 pounds! Then the week of my period I lose either a small amount or nothing (usually a pound or less), and the two weeks after that I lose like 1-2 pounds. It seems to be even MORE weight this month, which is so weird. I weighed 182.4 on Wednesday last week, and today I was 176.6. I weighed every day in between (I always do) and I seriously lost almost a full pound every day this week. Isn't that just strange??? Not that I would complain about weight loss, but I'm really wondering if I need to raise my calories or something during that week because I actually am hungrier more often and feel more fatigued when working out. My calories haven't changed at all this week (I have been eating between 1600-1700 a day when I work out). Does this happen to anyone else?

Again, not complaining about weight loss but it does seem really strange to see the scale drop almost a pound every day, and it happens every month!

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Only when I eat low carb. It's weird, instead of bloat and weight gain, I get shrinkage and weight loss.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It is different for each woman. I know some women who lose their appetite during their TOM while other can't eat enough. It is very strange.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My most dramatic loss is around that time, too
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    My body is similar. I lose nothing and/or gain a little the week of/after. And the scale moves down the next 2 weeks usually significantly. Last week I 'lost' 4 pounds. I think in reality I'm losing steadily, but hormones, water, etc. mask the results for part of the month so it seems to catch up all at once.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Weird me too lost 4 lbs last week!! I also become like this ball of freakin energy at the gym and I work harder and want more to do, almost like my testosterone takes over?! It'll be interesting to see what others say!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm similar. I lose a good couple pounds typically a week before TOM. However about 2 weeks prior I gain a bit. Just like clock work, every month. Week of and week after I may lose a little, but my most significant losses are the week or so before.