Shin-splints ???

Options
Hophead43
Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
I am trying to become a runner but have been having issues with shin splints. I have been using a mid foot style shoe for running/walking. (Sketchers Go Run) Does anyone have any suggestions on what may help elevate the pain and make it easier to continue running??

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Stretch beforehand, very important.

Proper form.

GOOD quality running shoes are key. Spend the money and get a good pair, not the stuff you buy at Wal-Mart. I would go to a running specialty store for these personally.

Ice your shins for about 20 minutes per leg afterwards. This helps a lot with the soreness.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with that shoe.... I'd recommend starting at a running store and see what they say is the appropriate shoe type for your foot structure and gait. (it might not be the end all be all of shoe procurement, it was not for me- but most of my running friends have had great luck starting there.)

If you are just starting out, don't push your speed or distance in the beginning. Take walk breaks when you need to. Your endurance will improve with time, and so will your legs' ability to withstand the constant pounding inherent to running. Speed will come naturally as you are able to build your mileage so don't worry about trying to run fast.

Some exercises for your shins--- try walking on your heels, with your toes up in the air. Then walk on your tip toes. "Write" the alphabet on the floor with your toes. I always make sure to do ankle circles, both directions.

After you run, ice your shins even if they don't hurt. I personally take Aleve on a regular basis, but I would recommend taking any anti-inflammatory or pain reliever AFTER you run rather than trying to mask it by taking it before and running harder than you should because it doesn't hurt as bad.

I'm sure others will chime in with more. This is what i personally have been doing after taking a 3 week break for shin splints in the middle of a half marathon training problem and I haven't really had any issues since.

ETA: I do warm up before I start my runs, but I do not stretch beforehand. I spend a good amount of time stretching after, but not before. If you do before- make sure you do a good warm up and you are not stretching cold muscles.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was getting those really bad. They hurt so bad that my legs would be shaking after a 2 mile run. I started stretching really good before and I haven't had them again. Like the others said form and good shoes play a role too.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a minimalist shoe (Vibrams 5 Toe) & it drastically reduced shin foot pain. I'll get a little sore when I first start out, but as I go along the soreness goes away. The only I don't like, is the bottom of my feet get sore after about a half hour - they feel like I've been walking for hours.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I used to get terribel shin splints, ouch. I would get them even walking long distances. I found that the more I walked and later the more I ran I no longer got them. I believe that your body will get used to the impact after a while. Definitely get shoes that work for you, stretch and use good form. You can google good form or go to a running store for advice. I never get them anymore and walking and running feels great! :)
  • altaroxy
    altaroxy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do toe taps - keep my heel on the ground and raise the toe and ball of my foot as high as they comfortably go about 10 reps on each foot. I do this as part of warm up and cool down. I have seen ones where you lean against a wall and a number of other variations on this. I hope this helps.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Most of the runners I talk told me my shin splints had to do with over striding and striking on your heal.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm not a career runner or anything, but I am a long distance backpacker/hiker. After trying everything people would suggest from shoes to getting my gait tested my issue turned out to be tight calf muscles :-) Weird how everything is tied together. I stretched/foam rolled the crap out of my calves before and after walking/hiking/jogging and my shin problems went away. Just something you could try. Good luck!
  • Nu_Journee
    Options
    I'm sure it's been said. Go to a running store for a Gait Analysis. I had the same issue until I got analyzed and fitted to wear a stability running shoe. Since doing so, I haven't experienced shin splints in the two years I've been running.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

That has a lot of useful advice.

I'd agree with other posters on good running shoes. I hurt my ankle just running in some shoes. I went to a running store and got properly fitted and haven't had any issues since.
  • FergusonDCF
    Options
    The only way I could get rid of them was by resting. Do something else for a few days, like ride a bike then return to running.
    Worked for me but we are all different.
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    visit a running specialty store and be properly fitted for shoes. here's why:

http://www.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line/how-buy-running-shoes

http://www.runnersworld.com/store-finder
    :drinker:

I am trying to become a runner but have been having issues with shin splints. I have been using a mid foot style shoe for running/walking. (Sketchers Go Run) Does anyone have any suggestions on what may help elevate the pain and make it easier to continue running??
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

That has a lot of useful advice.

I'd agree with other posters on good running shoes. I hurt my ankle just running in some shoes. I went to a running store and got properly fitted and haven't had any issues since.

^^^^^^
    this
    :flowerforyou:
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Do you have flat arches? Running used to cause me to get horrible shin splints to the point that I thought I couldn't run until I found out it was my flat feet causing the issue. For a while I used store bought arch supports (you can get them at a running store) and they helped alleviate most of the pain. Once I decided that I really liked running and wanted to stick with it I went and got custom made orthotics from a podiatrist. Now I run pain free (at least from shin splints :)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I don't believe Skechers are known for their running shoes. Try a different shoe, go to a running store for recommendations
  • Debbaleenic
    Debbaleenic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My shin splints were so bad I couldn't even touch my shins. My trainer suggested that my calves may be tight. He told me to massage them using the Grid (found it on Amazon). Haven't had the problem since. It's worth a try.
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I had a LOT of pain from shin splints. Here's what helped with mine:

1) Start with good shoes. Go to a place where they will actually FIT you with shoes, not just a place that sells shoes.

2) Stretch before you run. Warm your muscles up by doing some brisk walking prior to running.

3) Look up "exercises to help with shin splints" and do them religiously.

4) Buy a foam roller and use it after your runs. Rolling a golf ball under my foot afterwards also helped.

Good luck!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I second the arch supports.

I found using them in all shoes, even slippers helped with general posture realigning heals etc, which took the pressure off my feet, legs and all.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Skechers are not a good quality running shoe. Go to a running specialty store (not a big box store like ****'s, but a local running only store) and have them fit you in a shoe. It'll make a huge difference and I'm willing to bet your shin splints go away. Keep running in poor quality shoes and you're going to end up with injuries in addition to shin splints!

ETA: In the meantime, ice your shins 15 mins on, 15 mins off frequently throughout the day and take ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation. You should also use a foam roller to roll out your shins and legs. Don't try to run until the pain is gone. Then, don't increase your mileage by more than 10% per week. Too much too soon can also cause shin splints, but start with new shoes, THEN worry about mileage.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the advice! I am hoping to buy new shoes the beginning of May. I have been to a running store for a fitting and they told me my current shoes were fine. I do use Good Form Running tips and always strech prior to working out. I will be adding Toe Taps to my streching and see how that goes. Thanks again.