The Gym

Options
I am going to the gym today for the first REAL time. I have gone to the gym before, but have mainly stuck to the cardio machines. I have no idea what I am doing and I am scared as hell. Anyone have any tips on what to do? People have suggested a personal trainer, but I have two little ones and definitely can't afford that. Gyms have always intimidated me and I have no one to go with. This is going to be rough...:frown:

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    See if there's someone available to show you how the weight equipment works and how to adjust it for your needs.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer a 1 time with a personal trainer for free. Take them up on it if you can.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym regularly for a long time now, and new machines and classes still intimidate me, so I understand perfectly. But I try to remember that everyone at the gym is there because they have something that they want to improve, whether it's how they look, how fit they are, how toned they are, etc., and I think that's helpful.

Once you feel more comfortable just going, group classes are a good alternative to personal training if they're included with your membership. I have learned a lot about the proper form for weight training through classes, and it's important to get that right so you don't hurt yourself.

Good luck, and have fun! (really)
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    definately when you check in at the desk ask for someone to give you a tour and explain the equipment to you!!! thats what they are there for!! Good for you taking this scarey step!! You will be so glad that you did it!!! =)
  • msstephaniejoy
    Options
    I would bring along a friend who's familiar with the machines and knows about your fitness goals...kind of like a personal trainer, I guess. But without having to pay them. They can become your workout buddy and give you that extra encouragement while you're working out.
  • giggles29169
    giggles29169 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio too! Found that when in doubt the classes that are offered are a really great resource for fun and support
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    Each of the pieces of equipment have instructions too. Don't worry about looking "silly" - just take your time and read them. Also, I get Self magazine and they have lots of tips on how to do things at the gym. You could go to the self.com website and see if they have tips. And I agree with an up-thread poster - your gym should give you a free session on learning the machines. Just ask! Good luck!
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Definitely have someone show you around - my gym offered a free taster session with a PT, and any of the gym staff should be able to show you around the machines and write out a programme for you - I'm sure this should be free as they have to do it for insurance purposes - they can't just let you loose in case of injury. Allow some extra time if you can in case you need to wait for someone to show you round. Don't be scared - to hell with what anyone else thinks - nice one for diving in there and having a go!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    My gym is so small, i literally walked up to the hottest, buffest guy I could and said "can i have one question a day in regards to working out a nutrition, clearly I'm new"...and he turned out to be THE nicest man i have ever met...and he just graduated from fitness and nutrition, so he told me it would be his pleasure...but if you don't have a hot/buff guy to ask...then like everyone said, if you sign up for a gym membership they should give you a tour...at my gym every monday for an hour there's a class called "women on weights" even if you don't go to the class, while you're sitting there doing cardio, pay attention to what the instructor is saying...I feel your pain, i'm scared to try new weights tonight too and i've gone to the gym for years...i'm just afraid i'm doing them wrong and i might hurt something. Google a bunch of stuff too...i do two arm weights and two leg weights plus i alternate abs and lower back...start off with the pully machines, they're pretty self explanitory...good luck, and don't be intimidated! I've had tiny little girls in their $300 lululemon outfits come traipsing up to the cardio machine next to me...there I am sweating bombs and wearing a 2XL t-shirt and sweats, and they look at me like "how does this thing turn on"...everyone goes to the gym for themselves...not to see and be seen...all the hot men are looking at THEMSELVES in the mirror not at you...and the women are looking at the hot men, not you lol so join the fun...get in and get out...that's the best way to go about it.

:flowerforyou: http://freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/index.jsp;jsessionid=41dlvh1fd1...this website helped me figure out some basic work out routines
  • yellowrose33
    Options
    ...everyone goes to the gym for themselves...not to see and be seen...all the hot men are looking at THEMSELVES in the mirror not at you...and the women are looking at the hot men, not you lol so join the fun...get in and get out...that's the best way to go about it.

OMG that has to be the greatest thing anyone has ever said to me about the gym!!! I will have to remember that when I get frustrated. It will keep my spirits up!!!!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Guys are looking at themselves to make sure their form is correct (no...really we are).

...and Gillian, are you saying chubby ugly guys don't know what they are doing at the gym? :sad:
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    At our gym (YMCA) you can schedule an appointment (free) and someone will walk you through the machines and show you how to set them properly.. You might want to see if your gym has anything like that... GOOD LUCK!!! :smile: