Lemon Juice + Water

Options
HI.
I am just wondering if it is true that if you add concentrated lemon juice to your water that it will cut back sugars that you consume throughout the day.
I don't know where I heard this, but I really am curious.

Thank you!
:3

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    if it makes you drink more water instead of sugar soda, then yes.
  • CuriousCatastrophe
    Options
    Well, it's not that. I mean, i was told there's something in the lemon juice that breaks down sugars that are in your body.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    it contains citric acid. I personally wouldn't count on this to work for what you're suggesting. But citric acid does prevent scurvy, so it definitely has some effect.
  • CuriousCatastrophe
    Options
    Well I guess it's better than nothing!
    Thank you!
  • beckylou66
    beckylou66 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think it really helps with hunger, IDK if that has anything to do with the sugars. I read a whole article on lemon water and all the benefits, google it and see if you can find some info.
  • cynthb65
    cynthb65 Posts: 6
    Options
    Um no, there's nothing "magical" about lemon water. Scurvy is a Vitamin C deficiency, so any citrus will do that.

If you enjoy it and it makes you drink water instead of soda, by all means drink it :) But expecting one food to cancel out another food is just wishful thinking and unsupported by any well-run study or evidence.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Room temp fresh lemon juice in water in the morning kick starts your digestion, however when I told my 50-year-old sister-in-law who looks amazing she gasped and said 'never drink lemon in your water - lemon juice dries up your skin and makes you look older'. She uses 'only the best' for all of her aesthetic care in NYC so I'm not sure if she's correct, but I don't want to find out so I nixed drinking lemon water every day. Sorry if that sounds ludicrous but there are two things she's crazy about - looking young and fashion - so I give her the ultimate say in both arenas.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    23hlxee.jpg
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    23hlxee.jpg

This. Sounds like a load of hogwash me, but if you like it and it stops you from drinking less healthy liquids, go for it.
  • lemonbliss
    Options
    I have been grinding up lemon seeds and rind (discarding pulp and juice) and spreading it on unsweetened chocolate. I have had absolutely astonishing results, although it does give me a touch of the runs.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Lemon added to water is not magical. It's lemon and water.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I have been grinding up lemon seeds and rind (discarding pulp and juice) and spreading it on unsweetened chocolate. I have had absolutely astonishing results, although it does give me a touch of the runs.

:huh:
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

This...is...interesting? :D Out of curiosity, what is it exactly you're doing this for?
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hot lemon water with a bit of honey is tasty business...but no, it does not have any health benefits that I'm aware of. It's something I like to drink, I liked to drink it even when I weighed almost 300lbs....though honestly I liked coke better..probably why I weighed almost 300lbs. :)
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    HI.
    I am just wondering if it is true that if you add concentrated lemon juice to your water that it will cut back sugars that you consume throughout the day.
    I don't know where I heard this, but I really am curious.

Thank you!
    :3

The general rule of thumb for weight loss is the following:

1.) There is no such thing as a quick fix.
    2.) If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    3.) To lose weight, figure out your TDEE, track what you eat, eat within your daily calorie goal, exercise, be patient, stay faithful to your program, and repeat all of this until you reach your goal weight.

Thankfully, it really is just that simple. :)
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options

68mjxm3
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What I have heard about lemon and water - this is stuff from natural medicine and eastern medicine philosophies.

1) it balances the ph levels in your digestive tract and neutralises acidity - the western diet is very acidic while our bodies are alkaline (not sure why this matters as I haven't read/heard about it much)

2) it assists with methylation which is a chemical process at the cellular level. Again I haven't read much about this but is quite an interesting theory.

My MIL is a kinesiologist and often tell me some quite interesting stuff.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    23hlxee.jpg

The only thing it does is make you pee more. Honestly, I've tried this as a diuretic when I was majorly bloated once. It works real good for that. And warm water with a touch of lemon juice and a drop of honey works wonders on hunger pangs.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What I have heard about lemon and water - this is stuff from natural medicine and eastern medicine philosophies.

1) it balances the ph levels in your digestive tract and neutralises acidity - the western diet is very acidic while our bodies are alkaline (not sure why this matters as I haven't read/heard about it much)

2) it assists with methylation which is a chemical process at the cellular level. Again I haven't read much about this but is quite an interesting theory.

My MIL is a kinesiologist and often tell me some quite interesting stuff.

Our bodies are more basic than acidic. You remember the pH scales we had to do in those awful chemistry classes? Anyway, when we ingest a lot of acidic foods like our culture has, it throws off the pH of our body and it takes awhile to get our body back in order. If I remember correctly our body's pH(blood level) is about 7.4 which is pretty close.

A simple way to explain why too much of anything is bad: There was a competition to win a Wii here in California at a Radio Studio. They had to drink a gallon of water and see who could "hold it" the longest. Well a woman died. It's not because she couldn't pee, it's because her body could not regulate itself enough to get back to the proper pH balance because water is more acidic than our body.

Hope that helps on point 1.
  • iBMikey
    iBMikey Posts: 35 Member
    Options

68mjxm3

LMAO!!! Love it!!

Guess any type of "running" is better than nothing. o.O

I agree with everyone here, lemon water is basically pointless other than taste. It may have an effect on your digestion, but I wouldn't expect to notice it. But, if it makes you drink more water, DRINK UP!