New - Need exercise suggestions

Options
I have never really exercised or done any of this before so I do not really know what I am doing. I am a stay at home mom in a new area with a young child not in school so anything I do I have to be here with him so that limits me to youtube videos and such. I was doing some videos from the hasfit website but it involved weights even though it said cardio and my friends have said it prob wasnt helping me lose weight the way I want. A friend suggested Zumba and I found one decent video on youtube but I am seriously out of shape and weak so some of them are too much for me right now. Is there anything else I can do as far as videos on youtube or wherever that would be the best for weightless for someone who is seriously out of shape trying to get healthy?

Replies

• Iblis_Diei
    Options
    You can start with walking at least half an hour. Walking is also very healthy, better than jogging
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to do that when I take my son to the park (it has a track and I just go back and forward on the side with the slide so I can see him) but the area we live in is not safe to walk up and down so I have been trying to do that some. I wish I could get a treadmill but our place is so small we would have no room
    You can start with walking at least half an hour. Walking is also very healthy, better than jogging
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone there are some free apps out there. Thirty day fit (30 day squat challenge), 30days (lots of 30 day challenges, planks, push ups, sit ups, burpees, etc). Yoga Studio is another free one. There is also Sworkit - lots of workouts on this one. You plug in what you want to work out and how long you have. Some of these may also be available for tablets/iPads.

You could stick with the basics, jumping jacks, lunges, crunches. I know you said that you are out of shape and weak, but even if you just started out with a couple a day and added on a couple every few days.

What about starting out with walking and building up from there?
  • chankanaab07
    chankanaab07 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would say do whatever exercises make you happy because that's what will keep you coming back for more. :)

For me, it's a combination of:

walking outside
    lifting weights in my living room (or gym)
    doyogawithme.com
    a variety of YouTube exercise videos. I really like the Fitness Bender videos. Since you are new to exercise, a good place to start might be YouTubing "10 min workout." There are a variety of great videos, the best being ones that combine cardio and strength. Start slow and gradually build up to longer and more intense workouts. You'll be surprised how quickly your body adapts!

Hope that helps :)
  • harlsthebum
    Options
    On livestrongwoman's youtube channel, there is a series of HIIT to lose weight and gain strength. Starting with those and maybe trying out a couch to 5k jogging/running guide will give you more endurance! I pair a full body workout video with a video of whatever body part I am working out that day. I also try to do pilates or yoga on my rest days.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Check and see if your local library offers fitness videos. Try a variety and then you can purchase the ones you like to keep using.

I would also check to see if the local Y offers childcare. If finances are tight, many will do membership fees on a sliding scale. This will let you get out of the house and have the opportunity to take some classes or work out without having to worry where you kids are.
  • Iblis_Diei
    Options
    Also: skipping rip. It's a lot of fun
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Also, hula hoop. That's awesome and a workout.
  • Iblis_Diei
    Options

yeah! I have to buy one! it's a wonderful idea!
  • CDogg17
    CDogg17 Posts: 27
    Options
    Leslie Sansone on YouTube ~ so many choices! It's a walk at home program. She offers walks from 1 mile to 5 miles. With or without boosters (weights, stretchy bands, jogging). She uses 4 basic steps ~ walking, side to side, kicks, knee lifts. I love her videos.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    How about exercise bands (also called resistance bands) for some strength training? When my kids were small, I'd put them in the bathtub and do my exercises in the bathroom and hallway while I watched them...got a good 30 minutes of exercising done.
  • socialdchic
    Options
    OOO Ok, I will check her out, thanks!
    Leslie Sansone on YouTube ~ so many choices! It's a walk at home program. She offers walks from 1 mile to 5 miles. With or without boosters (weights, stretchy bands, jogging). She uses 4 basic steps ~ walking, side to side, kicks, knee lifts. I love her videos.
  • socialdchic
    Options
    I never would have thought of those! Sadly, I cant do a lot of jumping, i got a sports bra (i have big boobs) and its not doing the trick and its still painful and honestly my belly fat jiggling hurts too but hula hoop would be possible lol, I havent done that since I was a kid

• sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Swimming! :bigsmile:
  • socialdchic
    Options
    I am definitely going to do that but it will be more like wrangling my 5 year old once the pools open :-D
    Swimming! :bigsmile:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

I would hula hoop with the wii fit (though no hoop...which made it a little less fun...) must invest in a real one.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Exercise is going to be uncomfortable at first and will hurt. It's because your body isn't used to it. By hurt I mean sore, not physically hurt. Sometimes this is just a mental block. We make excuses (not saying that's what you are doing) because we are comfortable with where we are.

Sports bra not good enough, I wonder if wrapping with an ace bandage under the sports bra would help hold the girls still. I have a belly that hangs and I know how it can hurt when jumping when I am not in the right clothes. I wear workout pants, a sports bra, I wear a very snug tank top (with bra shelf - which might also help you) that I tuck into the pants, I wear a tank top or t-shirt over all of that to feel comfortable. The reason for the tank top w/ bra shelf, it helps to hold my stomach in. So when I do the couch to 5k program and it calls for running, or when I'm kickboxing and have to jump, my belly isn't moving and hurting with each jump.

So that may help solve a couple issues for you.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Put on some great music and dance around. Mix it up with doing cleaning/cooking... just take little dance breaks. It adds up over the day. You could even get kiddo involved too!

Make mini-exercise routines for yourself. Like, do 5 squats before every shower. 10 jumping jacks after every phone call. Etc. You don't have to do a lot at once, it's the whole day's worth that makes a difference.