Is it really possible to get enough Protein??

Options
13»

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I easily break well over 2-5x my protein recommended. I can't seem to get enough fiber. I mean who the hell eats 30g of fiber?!?!

I'm generally around 40 grams of fiber...

Me too! 30-40 grams of fiber is normal for me. High fiber bread and tortillas, plenty of beans/legumes, and a wide variety of fruits/vegetables is great for accomplishing that.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I've been trying to eat enough protein to meat my daily goal, but I'm just even sure how to reach it. I discovered a pretty high protein breakfast that I like this morning but then realized my macros were still messed up and I should really be aiming for 115-120 grams. I'm just not sure if that's even possible without some kind of protein shake/supplement. I would prefer to avoid those. Any suggestions for high protein meals, that don't kill all the other areas of my macros??

how tall are you and what do you weigh? you probably don't NEED 120g of protein. you only need about .7-1g/lb lean body mass (not total weight)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I've been trying to eat enough protein to meat my daily goal, but I'm just even sure how to reach it. I discovered a pretty high protein breakfast that I like this morning but then realized my macros were still messed up and I should really be aiming for 115-120 grams. I'm just not sure if that's even possible without some kind of protein shake/supplement. I would prefer to avoid those. Any suggestions for high protein meals, that don't kill all the other areas of my macros??

how tall are you and what do you weigh? you probably don't NEED 120g of protein. you only need about .7-1g/lb lean body mass (not total weight)
    Alright! High Five! Page two!

120 grams would be right for me at 1g/lb LBM, but I personally choose to do 1/lb TBW. Because I can do that if I want to.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

120 grams would be right for me at 1g/lb LBM, but I personally choose to do 1/lb TBW. Because I can do that if I want to.

sure can, it's just unnecessary and expensive :)
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You may not NEED all that much protein, but it is possible. I too have a goal of 1g per pound of total body weight (135g), though I normally end up in that 110-120g range.

I think it's the little things that really get your protein number up there. You know to have eggs/egg whites, lean meats, greek yogurt, skim milk, etc. But in addition to that, pick the bread with the highest protein. Choose parmesan and skim mozzarella for your cheeses. Switch from pasta or rice to quinoa. Broccoli is actually pretty high in protein - for 20 calories worth, you get 2 grams. 1g protein per every 10 calories is good - not that you'll be eating 200 calories in broccoli every day, but it makes a difference.

Get creative! You can make little crackers with discs of parmesan cheese that have been melted and cooled. Greek yogurt has a number of uses: you can use it instead of milk and butter in macaroni and cheese (or other cream sauces!), you can mix it with skim milk to make a creamy milkshake like thing (maybe with chocolate mix and/or a banana?), you can use it half and half with mayo to make chicken, tuna or egg salad - all of which will be loaded with protein.

In addition, Crystal Light has "hunger satisfaction" packets that are like 30cal or something and have protein and fiber. Carnation Instant Breakfast (sugar free chocolate is my recommendation) also has protein in it, and can mix with skim milk for your most nutritious chocolate milk/hot chocolate.
  • Supergirl9801
    Options
    5foot 6in.....165 lb

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

you're gonna get bulky. :angry:
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    5foot 6in.....165 lb

Your LBM is about 110, so you'll be fine with anywhere from 77-110g of protein. If you want to have more, go for it. You don't need it though.
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    200gr of chicken; 60gr protein.

Edit: O well. Google is your friend. I'm so kind today: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

you're gonna get bulky. :angry:
    Cool; does that mean I don't have to keep bustin' my *kitten* in the gym if I just eat all that protein?!:drinker:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Just a question-- why would you prefer to avoid a protein supplement? Are you similarly against multivitamins?
    [/quote

I am not against multivitamins, why would I be? That isn't the subject in question, anyway..No, I just find protein shakes disgusting and would much, much rather have REAL MEAT. No way would I drink some liquid concoction when I could have the flavor and texture of a grilled steak, or a lobster, or... You get the idea.