Getting up early to workout

Options
2»

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I just asked this question the other day, because I hate getting up early and when I did AM work outs last winter I did good for about 6-8 weeks but then I slowly stopped getting out of bed.

I find the best way to go is to make everything as easy as possible. I pack my gym bag and lay out my work out clothes the night before. I am also a fan of hitting snooze so I set my alarm for earlier than I have to actually get up. I set it for 4:45, 5:00, and 5:15 which is when I have to get up. I turn on the softer light in the bathroom because the bright light is just too harsh when I"m that sleepy at 5:15....then I do the bare minimum, splash water on my face, brush my teeth, put my contacts in, get dressed and go. The less crap I have to do or run around looking for, the better.

So far I am doing good, but today was only the third day....plus I have the crunch time motivation of needed to fit into my wedding dress in 25 days.....but my real problem comes after several weeks of going, where I either get up, make it to the bathroom but then decide to go back to bed...or in my sleepiness I just say F it and turn off the alarm and go back to sleep. For that I have no advice because I cannot seem to find a way around it.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    I think you just have to tell yourself hey this is what you want to do and do it. It will take work at first but then it will come real easy and you may wonder why you didn't do it before.
  • Rissa1428
    Options
    Put your alarm somewhere so that you have to get out of bed to turn it off then once you are out of bed you can convince yourself not to lay back down since you are already up. I have to do that because I will just lay there and keep hitting snooze.
  • Ngolden1
    Ngolden1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I never used to be able to do this either, and then I sucked it up and started doing it, and it is the BEST way to work-out. It is over and done with for the day and you won't be able to talk yourself out of it. I did four things that made it easier:

1. Don't lay there when the alarm goes off. The second you hear it, jump out of bed and get going. Do not lay there for a second.

2. Make a rule that if the alarm goes off then you are getting up. If you are having insomnia in the night and you make the decision to turn off the alarm then, then that's ok. But if the alarm goes off then get up.

3. Do it everyday. This way you get used to it, and you will always be tired earlier in the night.

4. Take the time to drink a cup of coffee before working out. Not only does the coffee wake you up, but you have a moment to focus and allow your body to adjust to being awake.
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this tomorrow. I have been finding it so hard to get exercise in after work in the evening.

I am going to do the 30DS tomorrow, the only problem is i'm not sure i can cope with jillian that early in the morning :(
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do this tomorrow to, since class is on Thursday tomorrow will be my first day to put it to the test. :smile: I know we can do it!
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    This morning I took everyone's advice and at 6am when my alarm went off I got right up! I had my clothes all ready to go and I put my DVD in and worked out! I even did my extra Ab Ripper DVD this morning even though all I wanted to do was get in the shower! Thanks for all the suggestions!!
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This morning I took everyone's advice and at 6am when my alarm went off I got right up! I had my clothes all ready to go and I put my DVD in and worked out! I even did my extra Ab Ripper DVD this morning even though all I wanted to do was get in the shower! Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Thanks for the lovely message - I'm really glad the 90 minutes thing worked for you too. I can't even remember where I heard it to tell the truth, but it has always worked for me!
  • donewiththeweight
    Options
    Bump. I have this problem/
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I hit my snooze button without even realizing I'm doing it, like I"ll be dreaming about an annoying sound and then it just goes away. Maybe I need to move my alarm away from the bed.

Move you're alarm to the opposite side of the room.
    I have an annoying rooster sound on my cell phone to wake me up.
    I lay my workout clothes out at night.
    I used to pack my work clothes and put them in the car at night.
    Some people use a pre-workout drink to help them wake up. They use Jack3d or Fuzion K-akg.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER been a morning person - until I started working out in the mornings. It took about 2 weeks of my FORCING myself to get up at 4:30 am but now - - - I LOVE IT! I even get up early on the weekends when I don't have to. I love getting my workout done early - and if I have time later I may get in another workout but.......if not.......I've gotten it in for the day.

You just gotta make yourself get up early by reminding yourself WHY your doing it
    and having clothes ready the night before helps me out to.

Good luck!

sorry to stray from topic....but do you have a baby tiger?