HELP! I'm losing my ASSets!

Options
My husband kindly let me know yesterday that I'm losing my butt.....it was bitter sweet!

Sweet because it means I'm doing something right.....

Bitter because I really don't want to lose my butt...however, I know it's inevitable when losing weight (duh). UGH! I'm a curvy woman....I don't care to be stick thin with no figure. I actually LOVE my curves...I just want to slim down a little in my "problem" areas....
Also, my husband always gushes about my butt and how much he loves it. I don't want him to stop loving it....but I know it's going "bye-byes". Why is it so hard being a woman!?!?!?

What to do, what to do.....

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Time to mini-bulk and squat, miss. :flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Barbell hip thrusts.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Pics needed for proper advice
  • DLo_122
    DLo_122 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've been doing ALOT of squats and I feel like that's what's making it smaller. lol

OR maybe I'm just not eating enough and working out too much. I don't know.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've been doing ALOT of squats and I feel like that's what's making it smaller. lol

Weighted or body weight?
  • DLo_122
    Options

What do you mean by "mini-bulk"? Sorry, if that's a dumb question...lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Eat more calories than your maintenance.
  • DLo_122
    Options

Weighted or body weight?

Body weight...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Okay but first thing's first-- are you currently lifting? If so, what does your routine look like?

eta: I see you're not-- do you have access to a gym?
  • DLo_122
    Options

Okay but first thing's first-- are you currently lifting? If so, what does your routine look like?

eta: I see you're not-- do you have access to a gym?

I am a member at Planet Fitness....however, I haven't stepped foot in the gym since late February. I've been doing T25. I'm on my 3rd week and also doing Slim in 6 on the weekends. I'm eating 1200 calories per day. I do not eat back the calories I'm burning from working out either.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Your butt is comprised of both muscle and fat. The fat you want to / will lose. The muscle you want to keep. The best way to keep muscle is progressive resistance training combined with adequate protein intake (100g). The easiest way to do this is to lift weights, things like barbell squats, lunges, deadlifts and hip thrusts.

Once you are done losing weight you might want to try to increase the size of your butt muscle which is the "bulk" previously mentioned. This is done again by lifting weights, and also by eating more than your maintenance calories which will results in both muscle gain AND fat gain.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    MOAR DEADLIFTS.

(And weighted hip thrusts... but that's not a very catchy catchphrase, so I'm sticking with MOAR DEADLIFTS!)
  • DLo_122
    Options
    Your butt is comprised of both muscle and fat. The fat you want to / will lose. The muscle you want to keep. The best way to keep muscle is progressive resistance training combined with adequate protein intake (100g). The easiest way to do this is to lift weights, things like barbell squats, lunges, deadlifts and hip thrusts.

Once you are done losing weight you might want to try to increase the size of your butt muscle which is the "bulk" previously mentioned. This is done again by lifting weights, and also by eating more than your maintenance calories which will results in both muscle gain AND fat gain.

You're awesome! Thank you. It makes sense! I WILL definitely keep this in mind when working out and eating.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    barbell hip thrusts, barbell bridges
    barbell hip thrusts, barbell squats
    barbell hip thrusts, cable kick-backs
    barbell hip thrusts, back extensions
    barbell hip thrusts, romanian deadlifts
    and of course
    barbell hip thrusts.

I lost my butt, too, but it came back with a vengeance with hip thrusts. I squatted deep for a year and didn't see nearly the results I saw from a few months of hip thrusts, bridges and glute isolation work.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What to do, what to do.....

Squats and bridges (hip thrusts), lunges, stairs. Check out Brazil Butt Lift.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    Barbell hip thrusts.
    This. And try this too: from a step or 12 in box or higher, when doing a step up instead of stepping off straight back, step the foot back to the outside of the opposite hip, making sure to keep foot on the step/box pointed straight ahead. Does wonders for glutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DLo_122
    Options
    Thank you all so much!

I wish I can take you guys home with me so y'all can whip my *kitten* in shape (pun intended). lol

Now, I just gotta look up "hip thrusts".

And Brazil Butt Lift is the next Beachbody workout that I will be adding to my collection :happy:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Thank you all so much!

I wish I can take you guys home with me so y'all can whip my *kitten* in shape (pun intended). lol

And Brazil Butt Lift is the next Beachbody workout that I will be adding to my collection :happy:

You'll get a lot more good out of 1.) eating enough calories 2.) eating enough protein and 3.) starting a progressive loading strength training program that includes barbell squats, deadlifts, barbell hip thrusts, and possibly some single leg work like split squats or lunges.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!

You'll get a lot more good out of 1.) eating enough calories 2.) eating enough protein and 3.) starting a progressive loading strength training program that includes barbell squats, deadlifts, barbell hip thrusts, and possibly some single leg work like split squats or lunges.

Agreed. Skip the DVD and google Bret Contreras. He has articles on T-Nation and a good book called Strong Curves.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I did too! I noticed while trying on clothes at the store. I was wearing my ( formerly) favorite jeans and trying on a top. I looked in the mirror with the rear view and had no butt! OMG! My waist came back and my butt left!

Thing is, I DO weighted squats! I'm at 60 lbs for the deadlift and the front squat. I ASSumed my butt would stay the same! I want to be at my "fighting weight" of 145 but don't want to be butt-less! I'm already a "heavy weight" in my sport and don't want to change classes to super heavy weight! I'm so frustrated!

I have this feeling the movements used in Martial Arts (high kicks/jumps/speed) are probably making my butt even smaller, weight training or not boo hoo!