I guess I'm not doing this right, any suggestions?

Options
So about 6 weeks ago I decided that I was gaining too much weight and it needed to stop. I cut back on sodas and snacks. Increased my water intake, stuck to 3 meals a day only, watched my portions. Then I bought an elliptical and started using that 6 days a week. Then I joined MFP and started counting calories and just recently started doing strength training using my by own body as weight. The first couple weeks I dropped 2.5 pounds. The next week it came back. Now I'm 2 pounds MORE than that, for a total of a two pound GAIN and nothing lost. I'm so discouraged. If I eat any less than what I am now (between 1200-1400) I am very, very hungry. I'm 137 pounds now and I just want to be back down to about 120-125 and more toned up (I've had six kids, so I have a little belly pooch and my thighs are also a problem area). My calves are getting very toned, my arms have firmed up a bit with the strength exercises, but the weight isn't budging and I still feel (and look) FAT.

Sorry if this sounds whiny, I'm just really frustrated because I feel like I've been trying very hard and seeing no results. I should note, I also have hypothyroidism, but according to my doctor, my levels are under control with the use of Levothyroxine.

What am I doing wrong? Am I just too impatient? I really don't like the idea of being hungry, so cutting calories even more doesn't seem feasible. Also, I'm still nursing my baby, so I don't know that cutting back any more calories would be healthy for me/him.

I'd love any advice or suggestions! Thanks!

Replies

• DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

What is your goal rate-of-loss set for? (0.5lb, 1lb, 2lb, etc per week)
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    First off, buy a food scale. It's an absolute must. You only gain weight if you eat more than you burn. This can happen by underestimating calories or overestimating burn. Also, having less than 20 pounds to lose, you should set your weight loss goal at .5 pounds per week.
    Weigh your food and be honest with yourself and it will work.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it's probably water retention from the new exercise...

The scale is mean...use different measurments to track your progress like measurments from a tape, pics etc.

Don't cut calories just eat more protien to feel fuller longer and to help repair the muscles from the body weight resistence training.

be patient...as long as you are weighing your food and logging accurately you will lose weight.
  • mombie2six
    mombie2six Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5-5'6. My goal is set for 1 pound a week.
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    With 10-15 pounds to lose, you should be trying to lose half a pound a week at the most. That will give you another 250 calories/day. Also, you are at a healthy weight. At this point, many women have found success with eating at maintenance and doing heavy weight lifting. Don't fear the bulk. A lot of these ladies are seriously hot.
  • mombie2six
    mombie2six Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I realize I'm not "over" weight, but I've gained 10 pounds in 6 months and I want to be back to what is a normal weight for me. I'd be okay with staying this weight if I could get rid of the flab that I seem to have gained, it's not just about the number, my body image is more important to me. If I can't tone it up, then I want it gone. I thought that after a month at the max I'd have lost something. But nope! Maybe I'm just getting old, lol.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ...just recently started doing strength training...

The next week it came back. Now I'm 2 pounds MORE than that

I highlighted relevant parts to what I am going to say in bold text above.

I am going to assume that prior to starting your bodyweight strength training that you were not doing any strength or resistance training for quite a long time. When you start exercising your muscles with resistance training, even bodyweight resistance (push-ups, pull-ups etc) your muscles will tend to recruit and retain a very large amount of water. This water retention can add as much as 5% of your total bodyweight so if you are say 160 pounds you could easily put on 8 pounds from water retention alone. If you were working your muscles enough to get sore then guaranteed they were retaining a large amount of water.

Given that you saw this weight gain immediately after starting a resistance training routine I'd guess that is your culprit and it is nothing to worry about.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hit the weights, would be my suggestion also.
    That will soon get rid of that belly, and probably more effectively than weight loss.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I guess my main suggestion would be to either realize that the scale is not a good indicator of your progress over short time periods of days or weeks or if you find it that discouraging to just stop weighing yourself and use other measures for progress such as how your clothes fit or a tape measurer.

Weight or resistance training will help tone your body as you are losing fat but can also result in an apparent stall from that initial water retention. Thing is doing that weight training is really good and important for you where as how much water you are retaining and therefore how much you physically weigh is unimportant to what I assume is your ultimate goal of losing fat and getting fit.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I think your eating to few cals, and the gain is like someone said from water retention from the muscles your building. If your working out a good bit you need more cals. and I'd make those cals protein. Set your goal to .5 cals a week to loose you'll start loosing then.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Start running around after all those beautiful children. You will whittle away. I agree buy a food scale.
  • vilasini2
    vilasini2 Posts: 10
    Options
    You have quite a few issues to consider, breastfeeding, hypothyroidism, six kids, getting older starting weight training etc.
    i'd say be kind to yourself and be patient, and know that it will work you just have to keep your intake/output in balance. It might take longer than previously, but it will happen. Stop obsessing with numbers on scales, keep up with a good sensible well balanced diet. What helped me years ago, was to hear that it doesn't matter what you do in the short term, to get to ideal weight range and exercise for health, think long term, it matters more what you are still doing it in five years....so just keep your focus on the long term. You are doing a brilliant job,..love your Mumma belly, it has nurtured and carried six beautiful souls. Love yourself unconditionally, affirm that you eat well and exercise regularly because you love yourself.....good luck.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I think your eating to few cals, and the gain is like someone said from water retention from the muscles your building. If your working out a good bit you need more cals. and I'd make those cals protein. Set your goal to .5 cals a week to loose you'll start loosing then.

not eating enough AND gaining muscle *facepalm*…..

wowz….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP if joining a gym is a possibility I would recommend doing that and implementing a heavy lifting program built around compound movements = squats, deadlifts, rows, overhead press, bench press, pull ups/chin ups, etc….

starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman are great resources….

keep eating at a deficit of about 1 pound or .5 pund per week and lift heavy. Set your macro % to 40 protein/30 carbs/30 fats….
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Don't give up weight goes up and down...it's a marathon not a sprint...just keep chugging along and don't worry if you lose or gain weight, I have been stuck on 12 lbs. lost for 2 months, I feel better and I look slimmer but the scale is the same....IGNORE it and just keep on trucking!
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Buy a good scale, remember that it takes longer than just 6 weeks, consider pilates (they're difficult but good for all-around fat loss), and stay hydrated. Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat does- so you've more than likely gained in muscle weight rather than fat weight. :) Considering you say your calves and arms have become more toned.
  • ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You have started to retain water in your muscles from strength training; totally normal and you should just keep on with your routine. Stop worrying about weight, start using BMI measurements instead to track your progress. Your weight is going to fluctuate a lot some days, its a very poor metric.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I realize I'm not "over" weight, but I've gained 10 pounds in 6 months and I want to be back to what is a normal weight for me. I'd be okay with staying this weight if I could get rid of the flab that I seem to have gained, it's not just about the number, my body image is more important to me. If I can't tone it up, then I want it gone. I thought that after a month at the max I'd have lost something. But nope! Maybe I'm just getting old, lol.

if you put it on over 6 months, expect it to take a while to get off, not just a couple of weeks of working out.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    With 10-15 pounds to lose, you should be trying to lose half a pound a week at the most. That will give you another 250 calories/day. Also, you are at a healthy weight. At this point, many women have found success with eating at maintenance and doing heavy weight lifting. Don't fear the bulk. A lot of these ladies are seriously hot.

THIS!! We cannot stress this enough here...I am eating a GOAL of 1510 which is already over my BMR. Then I do strength training and often eat half back. I lost 0.4 last week and 0.8 this week. You don't have to eat low to lose weight and you will feel much better anyway!

EDIT: I'm only 5'2" also
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

What am I doing wrong? Am I just too impatient? I really don't like the idea of being hungry, so cutting calories even more doesn't seem feasible. Also, I'm still nursing my baby, so I don't know that cutting back any more calories would be healthy for me/him.

Am I the only one who noticed this? Personally, I think you should eat a little more and not focus so much on what the scale says. Continue working out, eat well, but eat properly, eat enough to fuel your body, including breastfeeding. Depending how the age of your baby, you can be burning 500 calories just producing milk. if you're eating 1400 calories and not allocating for that 500 burned from bf, you're eating 900 cals. Who here advocates that?!

Long story short- eat right, drink plenty of fluids, exercise (all of which you've been doing) and be patient. But seriously. Eat more.