Chinese Food?

Options
Once a week my work group goes out to eat. I've been able to find salads most of the time. However, they are heading to a Chinese Food place soon. Is there anything there that can be eaten, that isn't high calories. What would be the best choice if I had to choose one?

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Broccoli in garlic sauce is one of my favorites. You can also try vegetable lo mein or Noodles Peking style.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Don't stress yourself. All you have to do is fit those calories into your daily calorie range. Plan ahead and you'll be fine.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Do you know the name of the restaurant? You can look it up in the database and see what they have for you. I like beef and broccoli. Hold the rice.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Broccoli in garlic sauce is one of my favorites. You can also try vegetable lo mein or Noodles Peking style.

This is wonderful! And tasty!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    Prawn and vegetable stir fry or beef and broccoli stir fry with plain rice. If having a starter, make it soup. Avoid fried rice or noodles, fried starters like egg rolls, and chicken dishes that are first deep fried in batter and then stir fried with a sauce. This includes sweet & sour chicken, General Tso chicken and lemon chicken.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I usually do something that isn't overly sauced and control the rice portions. Works for me.
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Stick to veggies and lean protein stir-fry, avoid the deep fried stuff and limit rice/noodles. I always check menu's before we go anywhere it gives me a chance to figure out what I will eat before I walk in somewhere and I can plan for my other daily choices to make sure i keep my goals in check.

I went out for chinese food with some co-workers and got some Hot and Sour Soup along with asparagus chicken. i stayed within my calories for the day and it was delicious. Its all about balance
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My favorite is either beef and broccoli or chicken and broccoli. Egg rolls really do nothing for me, or perhaps the places I've eaten at just don't make good ones. :) If you are going to a buffet, that makes it a little easier as you can take more broccoli than beef/chicken to make it a little healthier. I tend to skip the fried rice and just add a little brown or white rice. (I mean, like 1/8 of a cup.)

The biggest thing is that you might retain a little water from the sodium, but just drink more water and it will flush out.

Oh! One thing I found out is that one of the Chinese buffet restaurants will let me get one of their small to-go boxes to take to the buffet and "fill up". I can eat it in the restaurant and then I can take my leftovers home. (I hate going to buffets and eating a little bit of food, pay full price, and have to leave my plate of food.)
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Any seafood or chicken veggie dishes, just ask for the sauce/gravy and rice on the side.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Beware that pretty much anything you eat from a Chinese place will cause a spike on the scale due to water weight. Lots and lots of sodium in Chinese food.

ETA: This is not a problem, just don't freak out when you see it happen.
  • KatVarley
    KatVarley Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Steamed Chicken and Broccoli with garlic sauce on the side with brown rice and dip lightly to flavor.
  • jill12032014
    Options
    A lot of great information! Thank you so much!
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Steam rice and shrimp with extra HONDO sauce.
  • FitForMe83
    Options
    You can always ask for steamed chicken or tofu and/or vegetables with sauce on the side. I love doing that because I can control how much sauce I put on and I know there was no oil used in the cooking of the meats and veggies. I like to get brown sauce on the side, and it's about 100 calories per cup (but there's a significant amount of sodium).
  • Kixshots
    Kixshots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well It's hard to ever realllly know how many calories because of how they might cook it, however I do recommend giving tofu a try (AKA bean curd) I adore sweet and sour tofu or sweet chilli tofu (usually comes with veggies) and it is so filling and yummy + is MEANT to be reasonably low cal

And like the other person , chinese food = king of sodium .. so no weighing for a few days XD
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    They have steamed entrees.
  • lorim200
    lorim200 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Beware that pretty much anything you eat from a Chinese place will cause a spike on the scale due to water weight. Lots and lots of sodium in Chinese food.

ETA: This is not a problem, just don't freak out when you see it happen.

Exactly, this is what happened to me. Drink lots of water after and flush out the salt.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My elderly friend had health issues and a strict diet. When he'd go to Chinese restaurants, he would get chicken and vegetable stir-fry, but he would tell them: No oil, No salt. No Soysauce. No sauce of any kind. So it would be like steamed chicken and vegies.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Pancit isn't too bad as far as calories if that's your worry. Love me some pancit!!