Carbs and Genetics?

Options
Say for example that your mother is unable to lose weight without cutting carbs or doing a low-carb diet, are you predisposed to the same fate?

I am trying really hard to just count calories and exercise, but am seeing very little loss on the scale.

My mom did Dukan a few years ago and lost 65 pounds. She said she has always had to go low carb to lose weight, so I'm wondering if a deficit is simply not enough for some people

(open diary, though the past few days have been garbage as my daughter was very ill and I was tending to her all day and night; calories are calculated using TDEE/BMR)

Replies

• kabemour
    kabemour Posts: 9
    Options
    Say for example that your mother is unable to lose weight without cutting carbs or doing a low-carb diet, are you predisposed to the same fate?

I am trying really hard to just count calories and exercise, but am seeing very little loss on the scale.

My mom did Dukan a few years ago and lost 65 pounds. She said she has always had to go low carb to lose weight, so I'm wondering if a deficit is simply not enough for some people

(open diary, though the past few days have been garbage as my daughter was very ill and I was tending to her all day and night; calories are calculated using TDEE/BMR)
    You may want to research insulin resistance. There are several YouTube videos from Dr. Cinderquist who explains it. I'm having issues with losing weight and inches and I've been on the Venus program for 6 weeks now. Only down 4 lbs and no change in measurements. I'm seriously thinking of taking a supplement along with my diet and exercise from Bio Trust Nutrition called IC-5. I've heard good reviews about it. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    okay just because it did or didn't work for your mother hardly has impact on if it will or wont work for you. I do not know what dukan is. But carbs are okay in moderation just like anything else. Eat whole food carbs like vegetables, whole grain breads, fruits, oats, etc instead of sugared or bleached out ones. I don't follow any crazy diet fad but I guess you could say I am low on the carb side most times. Now if you are not losing weight, you may want to reanalyze your intial weight loss goals and calories allowance. It helps to figure out your bmr and then also your tdee so that you can compare it to what mfp is giving you. You do have to be honest in your activity level. Don't just base it on what you do at work .. really include what your daily activites are. Maybe you are more than lightly active? I find that with myself, if I am more active and only eat 1200 then I don't lose. If I up the calories, then I start losing again. This may be the case for you. Now I want to get back to the part where you say you "try" to count calories. It has to be all of it. Measure and weight every thing you eat. If you bite it, write it. no matter what. It is a possibility sometimes you are underestimating what you eat. I always take a stand still on the scale as a learning experience and a readjustment time. I change my goals a lot. It depends on what time of the monthly cycle I am, if I am exercising more, etc. I did not look at your diary, sorry. But I hope this helps. Sometimes you have to play with the number and see how it works for you for a week or so. There is no exact science to this, just estimators. How long has it been that the scale hasn't moved? Could it be that you are losing inches and not weight right now? could it be pms or ovulation time? could it be that you are eating at your maintenecce levels? these are questions that you need to explore. I don't believe in going crazy on the low carb stuff. Eat in moderation and eat healthy as possible while staying in your calories limit and move. (get sweaty) drink lots of water and most importantly: be patient. Take it one day at a time.
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    okay just because it did or didn't work for your mother hardly has impact on if it will or wont work for you. I do not know what dukan is. But carbs are okay in moderation just like anything else. Eat whole food carbs like vegetables, whole grain breads, fruits, oats, etc instead of sugared or bleached out ones. I don't follow any crazy diet fad but I guess you could say I am low on the carb side most times. Now if you are not losing weight, you may want to reanalyze your intial weight loss goals and calories allowance. It helps to figure out your bmr and then also your tdee so that you can compare it to what mfp is giving you. You do have to be honest in your activity level. Don't just base it on what you do at work .. really include what your daily activites are. Maybe you are more than lightly active? I find that with myself, if I am more active and only eat 1200 then I don't lose. If I up the calories, then I start losing again. This may be the case for you. Now I want to get back to the part where you say you "try" to count calories. It has to be all of it. Measure and weight every thing you eat. If you bite it, write it. no matter what. It is a possibility sometimes you are underestimating what you eat. I always take a stand still on the scale as a learning experience and a readjustment time. I change my goals a lot. It depends on what time of the monthly cycle I am, if I am exercising more, etc. I did not look at your diary, sorry. But I hope this helps. Sometimes you have to play with the number and see how it works for you for a week or so. There is no exact science to this, just estimators. How long has it been that the scale hasn't moved? Could it be that you are losing inches and not weight right now? could it be pms or ovulation time? could it be that you are eating at your maintenecce levels? these are questions that you need to explore. I don't believe in going crazy on the low carb stuff. Eat in moderation and eat healthy as possible while staying in your calories limit and move. (get sweaty) drink lots of water and most importantly: be patient. Take it one day at a time.

I am not eating 1200 calories a day and I did calculate my TDEE and BMR. I have lost 2 inches off my navel waist measurements but gained weight.

Thank you for your input!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Actually as soon as I posted this I figured to be fair, I should look at your diary. I was just going to add a edit. You are eating fine, but I am also eating at tdee and is my understanding that you don't eat back your exercise calories. There are days that you ate over your day's allowance. I know it wasn't much and the days you ate under may have balanced it out, but.. this may explain the stand still on the scale. Those extra calories each day add up. Try only eating your allowance for like a week or two and I bet you will be losing in not time again. Congrats on getting in a lot of daily exercise calories. I hope this helps. Sorry I didn't look first. But again: be patient sweety, and don't forget: the scale is the devil and its not the only way to check or award all the progress you are making. Good luck