Measuring food

Options
When you guys measure your food with cups/tsp/tbs etc do you fill it up to the top or a little under? Do you mush it down to add more? Just curious.

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale for measuring solids and measuring cups for liquids. I got my food scale for less than $7.00 including shipping, on ebay.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    When you guys measure your food with cups/tsp/tbs etc do you fill it up to the top or a little under? Do you mush it down to add more? Just curious.

I use a food scale for pretty much everything that is possible, but with cups/tsp/tbs I fill them a little under. With cups I go just below the meniscus(the line). I NEVER mush it down to add more because that is added calories and if you don't add those calories it's cheating, just saying. Plus, mushing it down isn't accurate. Most things require a food scale for complete accuracy. Even my coffee creamer I'll use a food scale sometimes if I can figure out the weight well enough.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I weigh ALL my foods, except liquids. :wink:
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    A food scale will be the best investment one can make while trying to lose weight.
  • bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yep food scale is the way to go.
  • breakyoface
    breakyoface Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    So if it says you can have 1 cup of say mashed potatos, you still use the scale instead of just using the measuring cup?
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda annoying about measuring, but if it was homemade mashed potatoes, I'd weigh everything separately (potatoes, butter, etc), and then mix them.....then I'd weigh the whole batch (making sure you subtract the bowl), then take out my portion and do the math lol....it's complicated but more accurate.

I use cups and spoons rarely for measuring....usually my scale. Today I made shepherds pie and it was a bunch of measuring and writing down exact amounts. Then I added it all up and divided the pie by 6, and the total calories by 6...time consuming, yes, but makes me happy lol.
  • OkamiLavande
    Options
    So if it says you can have 1 cup of say mashed potatos, you still use the scale instead of just using the measuring cup?

I do. Always.
  • OkamiLavande
    Options
    I'm kinda annoying about measuring, but if it was homemade mashed potatoes, I'd weigh everything separately (potatoes, butter, etc), and then mix them.....then I'd weigh the whole batch (making sure you subtract the bowl), then take out my portion and do the math lol....it's complicated but more accurate.

I use cups and spoons rarely for measuring....usually my scale. Today I made shepherds pie and it was a bunch of measuring and writing down exact amounts. Then I added it all up and divided the pie by 6, and the total calories by 6...time consuming, yes, but makes me happy lol.

I do the same thing on paper and then on the recipe make on here. xD
    Glad I'm not the only one who does this.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Yes, because volume isn't going to be accurate. Weight always is.

Never use the volume measurement of a solid.
  • Xaudelle
    Xaudelle Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    FOOD SCALE.
    Can't cheer for one enough.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options

I do this but divide by the total weight of the finished product. Then I serve myself XX amount of grams--> therefore XX servings. MFP calculates everything for me. If I say 6 servings, I don't know if my 1 serving is actually 1/6th of the total (other family eats the rest), so I like to do it my way. If you are the only one eating the 6 servings and they are all about the same size, it likely doesn't matter how many calories each serving is.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Food scale is a calorie counters BFF
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Food scale always.
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options

I do this but divide by the total weight of the finished product. Then I serve myself XX amount of grams--> therefore XX servings. MFP calculates everything for me. If I say 6 servings, I don't know if my 1 serving is actually 1/6th of the total (other family eats the rest), so I like to do it my way. If you are the only one eating the 6 servings and they are all about the same size, it likely doesn't matter how many calories each serving is.

DUHHHHH!!!! Why didn't I think of that lol?? Much better to weigh it lol! Thanks for posting that....my husband divided our meal by 6. 6 very uneven squares lol.....
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options

This!

When I make a meal, it takes math and paper work! But like you said, it makes me happy! =)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I dont measure food. I overestimate where appropriate.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't use cups. I use food scales for solids and a measuring jug or measuring spoons for liquids.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    Food scale
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I weigh ALL my foods, except liquids. :wink:

Ditto.