Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat allowance?

Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat. What are they and why is the goal 0? I always have atleast a 1 or higher in this category?

Replies

• reduxi0
    reduxi0 Posts: 2
    I just started using this site again, and I found myself wondering about the 0 allowances for poly and mono-unsaturated fat tonight as well.

They are healthy fats that help to lower blood cholesterol (like olive oil, oil from seeds and most vegetables, etc.) Honestly, if one wants to include fat in their diet, I believe those are the fats to be eating, although all fats are more dense in calories.

Maybe it's just that there is no suggested limit, and so it gets set to 0. In any case, with my diet they will both be far, far in the red every day.
  • nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    It looks like there are many different theories on this one!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,646 Member
    Many people say that over eating omega 6 fatty acids (a polyunsaturated fat) found in most processed vegetable (soybean) oil is one of the boogeyman in the SAD diet.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I think that's the sort of minutae that doesn't really matter all that much, particularly when that information isn't readily available on many foods.