Why don't you like minimalist running?

Options
froeschli
froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
I am just wondering, seen as I find myself advocating minimalist running a lot lately...
I know it isn't for everyone, so I was just looking for opinions by people who have actually tried it and decided they don't like it / it doesn't work for them.

Not looking for a mud fight, just a few different perspectives...

For my part, I like my vff's and have ran up to 15km in them. Planning on more this year (seen as I ditched my other shoes :tongue:)
I seem to run faster and have less knee or hip pains. Though, starting again after winter, it is harder on my feet and calves, that is why I am cycling more now. It's all good though :happy:

Replies

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Well, I really like minimalist running because my preferred state if it's not cold outside is barefoot. But there are 2 or 3 reasons why I don't do it very often and at the moment prefer my trail running sneakers with cushy soles:

-My minimalist shoes (Merrells of some sort, not the kind with individual toes) developed a vile odor that won't go away no matter how much I wash them, bleach/hydrogen peroxide them, or spray them with shoe de-stinking solutions;

-I prefer running on dirt/gravel roads and I find that some of the rocks feel awfully sharp when I'm running in my minimalist shoes;

-And, perhaps this is because I hadn't gone into running with them slowly enough, but I did find that my feet, knees, and ankles were more sore when using minimalist shoes. I know you are supposed to work into it and train with them progressively, but I liked them so much that I probably did too much too fast.

If I can get rid of the smell, I will definitely be using them again this spring and summer. They are SO much cooler to wear than padded sneakers and I really do prefer them, especially for trail running in the woods. I love being barefoot in the woods, but also love trail running, so minimalist shoes are a good compromise there. I may stick with regular sneakers for my dirt road runs, though.

I'd be interested in learning how you worked up to wearing them for longer runs-- how long did it take and what exactly did you do?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started last year just wearing them on every other run, trying to turn back before I got a blister on my big toe. Took a few weeks to work up to 5k, few weeks after that I took them on 8k, then a few weeks after that on 13... (Country road loops came in those increments where I lived :wink:) I struggled with blisters mostly, and sore calves, but after a while my feet adjusted. Still, I usually did the long runs in my 'normal' shoes. I also regularly ran a forest trail and found it amazing, except for the pebbly parts (hoppedy hop)...
    This year I am doing all my runs in the minimalist shoes, and I am feeling it in my feet mostly, that's why I make myself go cycling every other day, instead of running too much. I expect to get to running more than 3 times a week again soon though...

As for the smell, try soaking them in vinegar for a while before washing. Haven't found anything better yet. But yeah, the smell is one drawback. still, other shoes aren't washable :wink:
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It killed the tendons in my ankles. I thought I was working up slowly too, but I must have super weak ankles or something.

I think minimalist running in theory is great. I just don't know that everyone can work up to it. For some, the work needed to build up necessary foot strength may be unrealistic.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    It killed the tendons in my ankles. I thought I was working up slowly too, but I must have super weak ankles or something.

I think minimalist running in theory is great. I just don't know that everyone can work up to it. For some, the work needed to build up necessary foot strength may be unrealistic.

I loved it from the first moment I switched over and have never considered going back to regular running shoes. But this is basically what I tell people. If you don't have a really GOOD reason for switching over, and it's not worth it to spend months training up to it, don't bother, you're not using your feet enough in that way for it to be worth making the switch.

I had to do something to force a change in my gait and to refocus on my foot placement etc. because my feet and ankles were awful and needed the work, but if you're an average runner, or have never had any problems, meh not necessary unless it's something you want to try.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ruined my achilles