Calorie burn frustration!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Maybe more concentration on making progress and less concentration on hamster wheel calorie burns?
    :drinker:
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You can get out of shape in less than two years' time. Give yourself some time to get your body used to exercise again, and just increase your workouts incrementally. And, realize as you get a little older, you don't bounce back quite as quickly, especially if you overdo it.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    It probably was more than an hour, but the point is that it wasn't a big deal to burn 1000 calories and eat whatever I wanted. It wasn't that long ago. It's difficult to believe that 2 years and 20 pounds could make that huge of a difference in things like how long I can stand the elliptical, or how much weight I can leg press. It's frustrating because I still have the mindset of being able to do those things, so it's incredibly disheartening to have to stop before I'm even a third of the way to that goal.
    it is a big deal to burn 1000 cal. I have to run 10 miles to do this and it's a very big deal. I think you have forgotten how hard it is. There are no easy fixes
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So, a couple of years ago I was fairly fit, and I would go into the gym at least 4 times a week, and I wouldn't leave until I had burned at least 1000 calories. This would only take an hour at most, usually less. I have a Polar HRM to measure this. I remember doing the elliptical for a while, then going through a weight circuit, core stuff on a bosu, then running suicides in the basketball court if there were no games going on. I didn't find this to be some overwhelming challenge.

I got busy with school and gained 20 lbs and stopped going to the gym. Now, two years later, I'm trying to get back to where I was and I'm finding it extremely difficult and frustrating. It is now a huge challenge to be able to stick to something long enough to burn 300 calories, much less 1000. And now I'm experiencing fairly debilitating soreness after each workout.

I don't remember how I got there and it's driving me nuts that I can't do the things that I could. It wasn't that long ago. I didn't gain that much weight. WTF is going on?

Calorie deficit to lose the 20 pounds. If you're eating within sensible calorie deficit, there's no need to run a marathon every night at the gym. Your body is telling you it's overkill. Listen. Eat sensibly and exercise sensibly.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Be patient, it takes time to regain the fitness that you've lost.

Yup. I see too many people that will gain weight over years without any activity and expect to lose it in a few months while picking right up intensity wise as they were years back. It just takes getting your mind and body conditioned again. Dropping 20 pounds should take around 10 weeks on an aggressive, realistic schedule, and that will also allow time to recondition the muscle to the work again.

Good luck!