How long do smoothies, shakes, juicing, etc. last?

Options
2»

Replies

• gtaluvme84
    Options
    You are best off to drink your juice within an hour of making them. I've read somewhere that on some veggies, they immediately start losing their good stuff, fiber, etc. I've always made the juice and consumed immediately, but i've recently made my juice so that it was available for immediate consumption after my Zumba class (about an hour ish later) I've found I need to mix it up, and it doesn't taste quite as fresh, but it is still good. After I make the juice, I usually add an ice cube or two just to help keep it cool while I'm in my class. I think it works fine.
    Many things i've read say not to consume after 24 hours. I would agree. It just doesn't taste/look the same, and that matters to me.
    I say within an hour ish, is fine, so you keep most of the healthy stuff.
    Hope that helps!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I find it more satisfying to eat food than to drink it. Drinking my meal just doesn't last as long, for some reason.

But I love the convenience of smoothies. Some of my smoothies are pretty big, and they're all packed with a lot of food, so the calorie counts usually range from 600 to well over 1,000. If I sat down to eat (chew) it all, it'd take a good hour. But I only get 30 minutes for lunch and I spend that time walking. Having the food in smoothie form allows me to drink it at my desk during the afternoon.

OP, I've read that some of the nutritional content is lost if a smoothie is not consumed soon after blending, but as far as I can tell, no one has a firm estimate on how much is lost. The effect seems to be minimal. Personally, I don't worry about it.

In the past I have prepared a week's worth of smoothies on a Sunday in my Vitamix and then frozen them in Blender Bottles to take with me to work. (Blender Bottles hold 28 ounces and work well in the freezer.) In your case with the Nutri-Bullet, I like the idea of bagging or kitting the ingredients, and then blending a day's kit in the morning.
  • phantasmagical
    phantasmagical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It takes me only a few minutes to make a smoothie in the morning. Having your veggies, fruit, and other mix-ins ready to go is the key.

^^This! I've been lax about smoothies lately, but when I'm in smoothie mode, I can usually crank out a smoothie in just a couple of minutes each morning because I've chopped or otherwise prepped all of the ingredients the night before. Powders and liquids can be pre-measured, too. Then just dump, blend, and Voila!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Ok I would just eat whatever it is. Liquid form is not as good for you.

Oh, really? Please explain how chewing food to a pulp and mixing it with saliva so that it reaches you stomach in liquid form is better than drinking food that has been pre-liquified in advance.

Sense. You make none.

Actually the whole point to chewing food - besides the obvious is that saliva contains enzymes that start to digest (break down) the food before it hits the stomach. Saliva contains amylaze which breaks down some starches into maltose and dextrin.

Last time I checked I'm still drinking a smoothie through my mouth where my saliva is...

No really. You chew your smoothie in order to stimulate saliva production. Interesting.

I have nothing against smoothies - I like fruit, yogurt and protein powder on occasion. My response was prompted by a desire to address the gap in knowledge as to the reason food should be chewed and the role of saliva in the human digestive system.
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also buy frozen sliced fruit at the grocery store to use in smoothies (trader joes has some great varieties like frozen mango and pineapple and berry blends), and if I have bananas that are getting overripe, I just stick them in a bag and put them in the freezer. If I am really on the ball, I weigh the preportioned bags and write the amt on there with a sharpie, so that I can super quickly enter the amts in the morning.