Could use a bit of insight

Options
Okay so here's my dilemma, well hardly a dilemma more of an incident I need advisement on. Yesterday turned out to be a far busier day then I intended, and by 8:30 pm when I finally slowed down I had only eaten 479 cals, some of which I definitely burned on a 25 minute jog. I wasn't ever super hungry and most of those cals were protein heavy. But now, it was late and the last thing I really wanted was to cook and eat a large meal, so I made myself a mean tuna sandwich. I'm talking delicious thick multi-grain bread (I normally stick to the 45 cal per slice kind, but not this time!), a whole can of tuna, some light mayo, celery, green pepper, and even deli cheese. It was to die for, but didn't even hit 500 cals. So I drink some amazingly delicious strawberry-banana V8, which I also tend steer clear of because liquid cals are my least favorite, even though I love juice. Dinner over.

This is where things get a little foggy: it's late enough I know I don't want to just keep stuffing my face and falling to sleep but it's 2 hours from bed and I've netted like 700 cal. My BMR is upwards of 1500. So in an effort to get just a bit closer I eat a cup of Royal Banana Split ice cream with some light cool whip on top (it was glorious). At best this put me over 1000 cals for the day.

So my question is: In this instance, when it's late on a weird day and your really low on cals, is it okay/better to indulge in crap you want, in an effort to at least get closer to your calorie goals? Or would the better choice be just handling the night normally (eating my sandwich and a more reasonable snack) and let the calorie chips fall where they may. I know that the best thing to have done would have been cook up a healthy calorie dense meal, but lets make believe that's not an option, cause I didn't want it and I probably wouldn't have ate something heavy and hot at 9pm.

TO BE CLEAR! I know this is bad, I have no interest in making a habit of this, I love that my appetite has gone down since my starting weight, but it hasn't gone down that much. This was a fluke, at best.

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Just let the chips fall where they fall.

Some days I am way under, some days I am a little over.

As long as you aren't consistently netting 480 calories a day, it will all work out in the end.

I don't force myself to eat if I am not hungry.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If I didn't at least try to eat more (the way you did), the next day I would suffer from poor performance, a lack of energy, and more than likely would eat twice my normal amount of calories because I'd be so darn hungry by the time I woke up.

I think what you did was fine. And you should feel good about it.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think that if it works for you and it doesn't make you feel bad, then it's ok. But I would try to plan things out better so that you have time to eat and fuel your furnace during the day, instead of loading up all in one time span.