Iron levels

Options
So I recently noticed that I usually barely meet my suggested iron levels for the day. I would like to make sure I'm getting the right amount in my diet. So off I trudged to the bulk barn, stocked up on high iron rich foods and made myself some protein, iron bars. The recipe I input into the recipe calculator said that 1 bar was 40% of my daily iron intake, whoo hoo for me I must have made magic iron bars! Wrong! When I input the protein bar into my daily food journal it tallies it as 7 out of 100. What gives? 7 out of 100 is clearly not 40%. Anyone know what's going on, I think I must be having a "stupid moment".

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not sure of the items you logged...

But iron can come from different sources. I've heard cooking in a cast iron skillet adds iron to your food. Its one of those nutrients to be careful of, as too much can be a bad thing. On the other hand not all that you consume gets used by the body.

I take an iron supplement because I've been advised to. Was borderline anemic during one pregnancy, then anemic in the following pregnancy. Have tested too low in iron to donate blood also.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Most foods in the database do not show their iron content because iron is often not listed on nutritional information. It is therefore likely you are getting a lot more than you are according to MFP figures.
  • kristendeyell
    kristendeyell Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I put in a ton of my own recipes though, they seem to have the amount of iron in each ingredient listed?
  • Cooroo
    Cooroo Posts: 1
    Options
    So glad someone has mentioned this! It would be great if the 'on the packet' nutritional info could be completed with eg iron and calcium. Branded cheddar had no calcium, generic has loads. Similarly spinach in a bag from Morrisons has no iron! Causing havoc with my attempt to eat healthily!