HRM Recommendations Please!

Options
jalara
jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
Hey all - I'm buying a HRM and need some help. I really want one that tracks calories burned.

- What should I look for?
- What should I NOT have?
- Can you recommend one?
- Is there one that can hook up to my computer or something, to see the data?
- Is there one that can act as a pedometer?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• thanatos
    Options
    I was in the same situation and month ago and everyone recommended the Polar FT7. I ended up getting it and its fantastic. Accurate, easy to use, easy to change batteries down the road. HIGHLY recommended!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 and Looooove it. Very accurate, you put in your age, sex, weight and all that gives you your heart rate and cals burned. It will also tell me my total for the week. Great brand, a lil more expensive but worth it!
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I debated for a LONG time on what to get. I knew I didn't want to spend a lot of money, but didn't want a piece of crap either.... So, I caved & bought a Polar FT60. Definitely get one w/ a chest strap - they are more accurate. I was worried about it falling off or moving during my workouts, but it doesn't move. I've only had it for 2 or 3 weeks now, but love it!!!
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Polar HRMs are very popular with users on here. I have a Polar FT7 which I love and is honestly, one of the best purchases I have ever made -never thought I'd say that! I bought it for $93 on sale. I usually see it range between $87 to $107, depending on where you look. It has the chest strap, is waterproof, stores workouts, and you can change the battery yourself. I often read/hear that a HRM with a chest strap gives a more accurate reading. There is always a margin of error, but I think that I would rather go with the numbers on a HRM over the generalized ones in this exercise database as well as from machines. Do a little online browsing to see what's out there and check out reviews. Amazon and Ebay usually have decent prices too. Hope you find one you like! Happy hunting!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7, wife paid about $90 for it and its very easy to use and I would recommend it.

make sure you get a quality one (seen lots of threads on here about people buying cheap ones and taking them back) and get one with a chest strap for accuracy
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportline for women. Make sure whichever you get has a chest strap.
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I JUST ordered a Polar FT60 ($180) from Amazon and cannot wait to try it!!!!
  • clbiggins83
    clbiggins83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the FT40 Polar and absolutely LOVE it!
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. After recommendations and doing my own research I narrowed it down between the Polar F6 and the Polar FT7. I just bought a Polar F6 off Ebay yesterday & am looking forward to using it! Paid $80 new. Good luck finding what will work for you! :)
  • juic77
    juic77 Posts: 6
    Options
    I got a New Balance one for around $50 on sale at REI. Has the chest strap, and it shows calories burned too. Great purchase!
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Do NOT get the Sportline Solo 915 HRM. It shows inconsistent calorie burn and seems to need a battery way too often. There have been times when I know I've been killing it, and my calories didn't move at all (for like 30 minutes). Maybe mine was defective, but I read some negative reviews on it as well. Total waste of 60 bucks.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I picked up a Polar FT7 today - I have it all set, and I'm ready to try it out tomorrow!

Thanks everyone!!!!!
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and it works great! Check out ebay for some cheaper prices! I got mine for $50!