I hate running

Options
waterskh
waterskh Posts: 36 Member
That makes me feel like an awful person, but there you have it. I hate running. I have a bad knee, bad hip, and bad back and I am not even 23 yet. I have started up swimming but I am moving to Thailand in July where it is doubtful that I will have access to a pool or gym at all really. Any ideas what might work for me? I do love to hike/walk, but it gets so time consuming!

Replies

• ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Have you considered taking up not running?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run. The main thing to lose weight is how many calories you are eating. Exercise has other health benefits. Walking is a great exercise, 30 minutes a day, along with the proper calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. There are walking DVD's you can do in your home, if you don't have a safe place to walk.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run. The main thing to lose weight is how many calories you are eating. Exercise has other health benefits. Walking is a great exercise, 30 minutes a day, along with the proper calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. There are walking DVD's you can do in your home, if you don't have a safe place to walk.

OP says walking is too time consuming for her.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

OP says walking is too time consuming for her.

Yes, well, so is running or any exercise. So don't exercise then, just control eating.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    There's no rule that states that you have to a) enjoy running and b) you need to run to be in good shape. There are many other forms of exercise, find one or more that you like and do that.
  • waterskh
    waterskh Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not so much too time consuming I guess, thats a bad excuse. It is more of a safety thing. I live in a pretty violent area and as the temperatures go up, so do the shootings. Meh, I will figure it out.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    I hear crossfit is a thing now
  • raholden88
    Options
    I felt the same way. I hate running. I own a treadmill and used to go to the gym on occasion, but I never enjoy the aspect of it. I don't mind walking though at all, really. It's more peaceful.

I walk to and from my job and take public transportation and do a good amount of walking while at work, so I got myself a Fitbit just to see how much walking I really do any given day. Turns out after proper adjustments to the stride length etc, that I walk a good 3.5 miles a day just with a regular work day. For me, that was 300 calories or so I was burning. So, for that little extra, I added 15 minute walks with the dog to this to start, just to try to get up to about 5 miles of walking a day, or 10000 steps, which is the recommended daily average to 'get fit.' I average usually at least 8500-9000 on lesser days, but typically hit my goal.

That, along with eating at my deficit, has led to my losing nearly all of my goal of 50lbs in just about under 20 weeks. I can now walk forever without getting tired, out of breath, or even breaking a sweat. I can walk up the hills in my neighborhood with the dog and my knees no longer hurt, I no longer get back and neck pains, and I can run up the hills when the mood strikes me and keep pace with my dog, a Basenji who is built and lives to run, and then barely lose my breath after.

Walk if you don't like to run, and you don't have to do it all at once. A little here, a little there, take the stairs instead of the elevator, and it adds up.
  • telepneff
    telepneff Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Exercise DVDs would be a good starting point.

I hate running too. Although I was told I would eventually love it. It was halfway through my second half marathon that I concluded that I had given it long enough and I just don't, and never will, enjoy running.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If there really is no form of exercise you can do then just manage your weight using calorie control as already mentioned.

However, I'm sure in such a great country there will be something you can do.

How about cycling? Not too time consuming, not as hard on joints as running. Will you be at a coastal area? - plenty of opportunities for sea-swimming if so.

Thailand has lots of kickboxing gyms, maybe have a go and see if you like that?
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    you will figure it out.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Exercise DVDs would be a good starting point

Yeap .. I can watch them all day
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    You might like "body by you", it's a body weight exercises book. No equipment and no running required. Worth checking out. I love it.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Exercise DVDs would be a good starting point

Yeap .. I can watch them all day

ROFL!
  • Boshnivay
    Boshnivay Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I USED to hate running. I hated the way it made me out of breath, the way I felt my body smashing into the ground with each step. I hated running so much that I did every other exercise you could think of- elliptical, STAIR MASTER, biking, swimming, walking. Then I went away to summer camp to be a counselor for the first time. The ONLY form of exercise I had enough time to do was running. Yup, I was forced to run if I wanted to exercise. And I wanted to exercise. No way was I going to not exercise after coming so far from where I had been. I forced myself to started running in intervals. YES it hurts, but it GETS BETTER. It is going to take a while for your body to get used to the motion of it, but really give it a go when you're in Thailand. How many other people get the chance to go for a run in such a beautiful country? Start small and find a "happy pace" one you can "jog" at and not have to walk. You WILL get there!!!!!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    get a bike. even roller skating or jumping rope is going to be much easier on your joints
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    That makes me feel like an awful person, but there you have it. I hate running. I have a bad knee, bad hip, and bad back and I am not even 23 yet. I have started up swimming but I am moving to Thailand in July where it is doubtful that I will have access to a pool or gym at all really. Any ideas what might work for me? I do love to hike/walk, but it gets so time consuming!

If you have joint/back issues, it likely you'll do best with a low/no impact form of exercise. If you are going to end up not having access to a gym or pool, consider saving up for a home machine. I have an elliptical machine in my home that I use daily. I also have a bad back and it's great no impact cardio exercise for that. I did a lot a of research to find the best one, and I bought a Yowza for about $800. You can certainly find a cheaper one than that, but I bought one that is pretty sturdy and will last for years.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    What interests you? I don't like running even tho I'm actually good at it.( My Martial Arts instructor likes it.) I find it boring as all get-out. What thing have you imagined yourself doing? I know you can get a great workout with Oriental dance. There are cool outfits (modest ones are pretty too!) and it looks like fun! I doubt it puts too much strain on your joints.
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I despise every minute of running. EVERY SINGLE MINUTE. But I'm a busy mom with two jobs so running is one of the few workouts that burns a large amount of calories and provides a great workout in a short period of time. So I run but literally hate every single minute of it. Still waiting for that mythical runners high.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I am with the running haters, sorry. But it's good to see you are not alone! If you are really trying to lose weight the best way to do it is through diet and exercise. So just keep trying different things until you find what you like and will stick to. Remember...fitness is a lifestyle change and you will make changes and adjustments as you go. Just don't give up!