ugg, daily cals vs. net cals

Options
Another question about calories.
When they say that you shouldn't go below 1200 cals per day... is that your daily cals?
Or should your NET cals not be below 1200 per day???

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It's your NET cals. Your deficit is already built in, so when you exercise, you're supposed to eat most of those calories.

Ex. my daily calories are 1200 cals to lose 2 lbs/week. If I burn 500 tonight exercising, I can now eat 1700 and still maintain my deficit. I usually try to eat back 50-75% (sometimes more) of my exercise calories.
  • Bonnie555
    Options
    thank you - I was also confused by this too. I will try to eat a portion of these, but I do find it hard to do sometimes:huh: :huh:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Ok, just to be clear, we aren't supposed to go under 1200 calories, right? Does that mean 1200 consumed or 1200 plus whatever I burned? For instance, let's say I eat 1200 calories but then I work out and burn 300. Do I need to eat another 300 calories for a total of 1500? I am confused.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Ok, just to be clear, we aren't supposed to go under 1200 calories, right? Does that mean 1200 consumed or 1200 plus whatever I burned? For instance, let's say I eat 1200 calories but then I work out and burn 300. Do I need to eat another 300 calories for a total of 1500? I am confused.

You're supposed to eat 1200 NET, which is 1200 plus exercise calories burned. So, you would eat the 1500.

I have a 1200 cal/day normal goal, but I eat back 50-75% of my exercise calories (sometimes more). The only reason I don't eat 100% is because it's very easy to overestimate exercise calories and underestimate what you're eating.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I've been too strict with myself on the calories.
  • skeene07
    skeene07 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!
    I thought that's what it was but sometimes you think to much and begin to confuse yourself (me).

:)