do you all log exercise

Options
Hi MFP's

well recently ive got amazing at logging food and if I cant I over estimate but ive not been logging my exercise I don't eat back exercise calories anyway but with it being half term im unable to calculate as my exercise consists of being active all day as at home with 3 children and playing football going on trampoline swimming etc and I lose track of time will this undo any progress?
I log actual classes or programmes I do just not the usual day to day bits im doing with children? also just started lifting very early stages so getting form sorted I don't log that either I wouldn't know how to any advice or should I not bother logging it as long as I eat ok?

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Your activity outside of a workout should be covered when you enter your activity level. My activity level when I'm landscaping is "active". My activity level when I'm not landscaping is "lightly active". It changes my calorie amount significantly. You need to log your food accurately if you want to know how much you are eating VS how much you need to eat in order to lose. That's kind of the point of this. The exercise log is any workouts you do OUTSIDE of daily activity. You can add those calories into your diet (assuming it causes a deficit.) or not.
  • guitargod2014
    guitargod2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think that you should definitely log your exercise, I certainly do. Not only does this give me a better picture of how I am doing but it also makes me feel heaps better when I look at my net calories per day/week etc.
  • Straitlover1965
    Straitlover1965 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I log my cardio but not my strength training. I do put a note in the box that I did it, but I don't consider the calories for it. My current lifting routine is not one that I would be burning a whole lot anyway, so i jsut consider them a bonus to help cover any overestimating on cardio I might do.
  • musicpie
    musicpie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You really need to eat all your exercise/cardio calories that you have each day. The calorie deficit is already built into your calorie goal for the day. If you don't eat your exercise calories then you are more than likely not getting enough calorie intake. Which, as we all know, leads to our bodies thinking we are in starvation mode which in turn makes us store fat.

I wear a heart rate monitor and log my strength training as well. It usually adds up to about 150-200 calories burned during that time frame and then I add about 75% of that to my cardio calories burned to allow for error.

I have steadily been losing while slowly building muscle, using this method.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I hate logging exercise because it is never accurate. So I calculated my TDEE - switched to that method, never log exercise and am much happier.