A NSV for the cardio queen

Options
You know those pics floating around of the guys with the uber muscular chest and arms but have the skinny lil chicken legs with the caption "friends dont let friends skip leg day" ?

Well I have the opposite problem!

Im a runner, a step aerobic fanatic, I walk and do stairs all day at the hospital, I have naturally long lean muscular legs

BUT

im over weight, I carry it all in the middle, and i have the flabbiest scrawniest weakest arms you have ever set your eyes on. I seriously look like I have skipped arm and chest day for a decade.

Anytime I would see the posts about limiting cardio and the benefits of weight lifting, I would get all excited, download an app, buy a piece of equipment, and then not do it. I was scared, unsure, lacked confidence and a whole host of other insecurities placed a barrier between me and the weights..... Until last night!

It was a combination of a lot of things coming together in all honesty. I downloaded the stronglifts app 5x5 as recommended by a member on here.

We have an existing weight bench with weight plates

Hubby bought me a bar bell thats more my size

Hubby watched the kids so I could workout, and when I couldnt tighten the weights on the bar tight enough- he did it for me, and when I had trouble positioning the bar for a weighted squat he spotted me, and when my form was incorrect for a dead lift he looked up a youtube vid on the spot for me to show me how!

This is success in the making! I completed my first stronglifts 5x5 workout! I have logged it and cannot wait to add more weight and lift ALL THE HEAVY THINGS like the amazing men and women I see on here who motivate me!

Thank you, to all of you for positing your stories, adventures and success!

And thank you to my hubby <3 my biggest motivator and supporter- you Sir, ROCK!

Replies

• AidaF430
    AidaF430 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME. It's even better that your hubby is such a supporter. I'm starting my weight training tonight. I do mostly cardio as well but I need to firm up and start building some muscle. I wish you continued success!! :)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You have yourself a wonderful husband.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. Keep at it. At times the weight will not go up. Keep at it and progress slowly. When it's time to increase the weight, do it in the smallest amount possible. Get some 2.5 pound plates to add to the bar. You will only need two so you go up in five pound increments. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. Keep at it. At times the weight will not go up. Keep at it and progress slowly. When it's time to increase the weight, do it in the smallest amount possible. Get some 2.5 pound plates to add to the bar. You will only need two so you go up in five pound increments. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it.

P.S. Besides your husband helping which is great. Add some friends on here that lift so you can bounce ideas and opinions off of. Get guys and girls. You can learn a lot from some of the female lifters on here.
  • Sassymama66_75HARD
    Sassymama66_75HARD Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That is great! Soon you will have awesome arms!!
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! I lost most of my weight through calorie deficit and tons of cardio. I started lifting 3 months ago and have seen a huge increase in my strength.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!