TDEE question

Options
Hi,

I'm sure there is a very logical explanation for this but......can anyone tell me why my TDEE keeps going down (based upon the calculators) as I consistently lose pounds? I am at goal weight but may try to lose another five pounds. I strength train 4x a week and jog 1-2 x per week. I was looking forward to maintaining at 2200-2300.....but it looks like that may not happen as I drop weight. I know the calculation is just a guideline....I'm hoping the exercise will afford me a couple hundred extra calories. Just doesn't seem fair after all that hard work - boo, hoo!!!!!

Replies

• Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    Well most TDEE calculators (maybe all) estimate your basal metabolism rate by factoring in your height, weight, age and gender. So generally speaking, as your age increases and your weight decreases you will burn less. It takes more energy (calories) to support and move around a heavier body than it does for a lighter body. That is simplifying things a little as there are more factors than these to metabolism, but it would be hard (impossible?) to factor it all into a formula. Some formulas do use lean mass--in that case someone's BMR estimate could increase if they somehow manage to gain lean mass while losing total weight. This is pretty difficult to do though. But generally, your maintenance weight will be lower at a significantly lesser weight than your starting weight. It isn't about "fair". It just is. I think an important aspect of weight control is getting past irrational feelings like "fairness" she it comes to food. At 5'1" I can be envious of how much someone who is 5' 10" can eat without gaining weight and feel it isn't "fair", but it really is just a matter of how much fuel a body my size (or the size I want to be) needs. You can tip the balance a little through exercise and activity and possibly by building muscle. But for the most part, it just is what it is. Congratulations on your loss!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    .can anyone tell me why my TDEE keeps going down (based upon the calculators) as I consistently lose pounds?

TDEE is the total calories it takes in a day to maintain your weight, including exercise. So as you lose weight, it takes less calories to maintain it. Simple as that. That is the formula.
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies....totally get it now:)