Why Protein Powder??

Options
Yeah title should have read Whey not Why lol

Hey I was wondering you your take on Whey Protein powder. I have heard it's good to take so I picked up a bottle of EAS Soy Protein Get Lean and Toned. It was the only one that looked like what I would want to take and I only picked upa small bottle in case I didn't like it or it wasn't really for me. I am doing cardio 3x a week (walking/jogging) and 2x a week I do resistance stuff, for now the machines at the gym. I need to lose approx. 40lbs give or take on how I look basically and feel. So is the Whey Protein good to take? It recommends taking it within 30 min of exercise also not too sure what the benefits are but I did have it for the first time today and within 30 min of working out. I mixed it with Almond Coconut Milk and it was actually really good. Any opinion or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am still new to all of this including working out regularly. Thanks in advance!

Edited to ask additional question: Also how many times a day should I do it? I only get 30 min in at the gym as it's on my lunch break and considering doing another 30 after I put my youngest to bed and taking my oldest with me as she needs to lose weight and get in shape as well.

Replies

• Dozer561
    Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    there are thousands of posts on powder. here's the jist.

1st* it is NOT a weight loss supplement.

when you workout you break down muscle fibers.
    body needs protein to repair and build said muscles.
    getting enough protein when trying to drop fat is important to reduce muscle loss.
    have your shake after your workout, so your body starts repairing those muscles.

*or some people use it as a means to get enough protein if they cant get it from food. some people just dont want to eat chicken beef and eggs all day. (yes protein comes from almost everything else as well, just an example)

example. most mornings i make eggs and turkey sausage. but sometimes i just get burnt out on eggs, so i will have 2 scoops in icewater of the ON whey, and half a bagel and cream cheese.

i would recommend next time get O.N. double chocolate whey protein, tastes great. and its 24grams for 120cals.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I take it about 3 times a day. I have it Before i go to the gym to pump weights and then i have it pretty much after i finished the gym. The other time i take it is in the afternoon, just to get my protein intake in, its its quick and easy. The brand i use is Cellucore as to me its the best tasting protein on the market.

So i pretty much use it to get protein in quick before and after weight training. And then at the end of the day just to get more protein into my body.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, timing is irrelevant. Protein powder is used just as a cheap alternative to meet your daily protein macronutrient requirements regardless of if you are in a caloric deficit for weight-loss or caloric excess for weight gain (and in the middle as well). It's calories and thus is applicable to your daily caloric goal regardless. Whole food sources are the better option, but variables called "life" happen and thus these serve to supplement when needed.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Are you asking about Whey protein...............but says you bought Soy protein. Whey is not Soy
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Just as an aside, I love all the replies from people who've lost so much weight. Some days I'm honored to be "surrounded" by so many people who have the persistence and dedication to improving their health. Such an extraordinary group of people from so many different walks of life who've all come together to contribute... <3 you all.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    As eric_sg61 said, whey and soy are not the same thing. Whey protein comes from milk. Soy protein comes from soybeans.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is a food source to help people meet their protein macro.

How you take it will depend on your goals, how much protein you need and you calorie allowance.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Yeah i realized after I posted that I had 2 different things sorry! I did pick up the Soy Protein, also thought it was the Whey Protein because apparently they make both, so I need to pay better attention. I had heard that Whey is better because it breaks down faster so it is better to take after a workout.

And I am not using it as a meal replacement or anything like that, I don't get enough protein in my diet daily so this is to help with that, and again I had heard it helps after a workout.

Thanks!