Nutrition labels

Options
Ok so I have been scanning all my food that I can and been going by their serving sizes and normally I use 2 slices of wheat bread for my sandwhich which they say is 100calories for 2 slices and 2 slices is a serving size and then it says (43g) so today out of curiosity I weighed the bread and it was 51g! So if that happens..do you tear off some of the bread til you get it the right grams??

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Or you could log your two slices as 1.186 servings.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Or you could log your two slices as 1.186 servings.

BAM! Science!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    or log it as 51 g if they have that option.

but i don't think 18 cal difference is going to sink your battle ship

hell, even 43 g = 100 calories is something of an estimate
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I log my bread as it weighs in grams. Been doing it for so long its a no-brainer. Good job in keeping your log :flowerforyou:
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Or buy bread which has the amount of calories per slice on the nutrition label :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Or buy bread which has the amount of calories per slice on the nutrition label :)

You would still end up with the inconsistency in weight vs. number of slices no matter what brand of bread you buy. No one's slices are so consistent that their slice of bread actually weighs the same as their serving size by weight every single time.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This is a problem with many foods:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/feb/18/food-retailers-underestimating-calorie-content

In "Eat This, Not That: the Restaurant Survival Guide," the editors showed that it is very widespread to under-represent calories on nutrition labels (even in single serving containers).
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    The kind of bread we use in my house is too long to fit in the toaster, so we cut it a little short anyway. If I have the extra calories, I'll log the extra weight. If I want to be precise, I cut to make the bread the right weight.