For about $20 you could buy..... Fast Food vs Heathy Food

Options
Just thought I would share. Shows what you could buy with $20 at fast food vs healthy food.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=what_20_will_buy_at_the_drivethru_and_at_the_supermarket

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    wat, meatless burgers?

vre_buy1.jpg
  • Acg67
    Options
    and where are those prices coming from? extra lean gb for 2.99/lb? a lb of strawberries for 1.76?
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've been able to buy 1lb strawberris for 87 cents when on sale, but have never seen extra lean ground beef for that little. Meatless patties? Might as well buy some hummus instead for that price. I'm sure it tastes better.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I feel ripped off now that I just spent $13 on a lb of ramps, could have had 5 whopper combo meals
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Morningstar Grillers Original cost $3.79 a box here in the Maryland area................

Where can you get them for $2.98 a box?!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    and where are those prices coming from? extra lean gb for 2.99/lb? a lb of strawberries for 1.76?

Took the words right out of my mouth. Extra lean gb here is $5.99/lb. Strawberries I have never seen for less than $3 a lb unless the store manager has them on sale and the containers already have visibly moldy berries.

Edit: Oh, they are Great Value brand items, which means Wal-mart.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    19.75 (I'm on a cash- someone stole my cards this weekend budget) so I remember exactly because I NEEDED to be under 20

2 green peppers
    2 tomatoes
    18 eggs
    Big pack of chicken
    2 bags of frozen veggies
    2 Oiko's Greek Yogurt

food for the week- full of win.

our strawberries are usually 2 for 5$
    I don't understand the meatless burgers then 1 lb of ground beef- that confuses me LOL

Other thing- Most people don't buy one pound- they buy the bigger container- 1 lb of ground beef isn't that much... but- I can tell you I would have paid more than that at my local wal-mart here in the dirty jersey.
  • itisjessdarling
    itisjessdarling Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well the article is dated 4/2013 so maybe price inflation since then?
  • itisjessdarling
    itisjessdarling Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh, look, this thread again. Yaaaay.

You don't have to be rude. I didn't see it posted and thought it was interesting. Maybe someone who has not seen it would like to as well.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Took the words right out of my mouth. Extra lean gb here is $5.99/lb. Strawberries I have never seen for less than $3 a lb unless the store manager has them on sale and the containers already have visibly moldy berries.

Edit: Oh, they are Great Value brand items, which means Wal-mart.

Yah walmart in the states...no way can I get all that food here in Canada (east coast) for that little amount of money...I can however get 20 1$ menu items from McDonalds...plus taxes of course.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Morningstar Grillers Original cost $3.79 a box here in the Maryland area................

Where can you get them for $2.98 a box?!

yep I am thinking the same! I live in southwest MO where we have crazy low cost of living and Morningstar Grillers are $3.69 at Target and over $4 everywhere else. Once in awhile they go on sale 2/$7 but that's the cheapest I've ever seen them.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My $2 chicken sandwich from Wendy's was pretty satisfying today.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    when did orange juice become healthy again?
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Both Morningstar patties and strawberries are between 3-4 dollars each here. California is expensive...
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Meatless burgers??? What the eff is the point?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Now we need the Whole Foods and other comparable markets edition. For $20, you can get a single steak (aged is probably a bit more) or a nice (but not too nice) bottle of balsamic, etc.

Honestly you can get a lot for $20 either at a grocery or at a fast food joint, depending on what you get. 20 dollar menu items is quite a bit of food, as is $20 worth of dried beans at the grocer. At the end of the day, I'm not sure the comparison is really all that valid.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Oh, look, this thread again. Yaaaay.

You don't have to be rude. I didn't see it posted and thought it was interesting. Maybe someone who has not seen it would like to as well.
    thanks, I've not seen it and appreciate you posting it... 'water off your back' if someone else isn't interested!
    :wink: :flowerforyou:
    I am in Minnesota. 3 quarts of strawberries on sale this week for $5.00 (that is the total for 3 quarts) 1/2 ham, shank or butt .98 cents a pound. Shop the sales.
    absolutely, no other way to shop:drinker:
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest problem isn't the price as much as time. For about 3 dollars, I could buy a bag of black beans, rice, and sour cream and make dinner for at least 5 days. However, it took me 6 hours in a slow cooker for the beans and 1 hour for the rice. Compare this to a 5 minute drive through time for fast food. Of course all you have to do is heat the food up in the microwave for the next few days which saves time. It's just a little overwhelming to spend that much time on preparing healthy food (I use the slow cooker since it makes the beans much more flavorful but I guess you could just use a pot).
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am in Minnesota. 3 quarts of strawberries on sale this week for $5.00 (that is the total for 3 quarts) 1/2 ham, shank or butt .98 cents a pound. Shop the sales.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    1) - Prices are not accurate
    2) - The Whoppers look better