I thought women were supposed to have strong legs?

omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
LOL...while on vacation with my family, we were at a science museum. They had a leg press machine. I like to think I'm in pretty good shape. I run and do strength training with a trainer. My knee was a bit wonky that day so I could only manage 170 on the leg press (kind of surprised me actually that it wasn't more). But...then my 10 year old son got on there. And did 210 lbs. He's not a particularly big or fit kid, though I've always said he has a really high muscle mass. I guess I was right LOL. He was really impressed with himself and now wants to lift weights.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Should have stronger legs than a small 10-yr old. Might be a technique or leverage difference.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    well good that he did a great job and wants to weight train.

But you should definitely be able to press more than 110 pounds- if it's a standard sit down into it leg press- so your feet are up- and your in this kind of V position- you should be able to press significantly more.
  • omma_to_3
    I did 170 lbs. But, like I said, my knee was wonky from a 7 mile run I did that morning. Still surprised me it wasn't more though.
  • jefferytmc
    jefferytmc Posts: 26 Member
    Do you belong to a gym now?

If so do they have a similar machine? Try it again and see where you are (without the wonky knee).
  • omma_to_3
    My trainer has a studio, but it's mostly free weights. No leg press.

Really, I'm not upset or worried about it. I am an old lady LOL. But more surprised at the capacity of my 10 yr old!
  • OrdinaryDude300
    OrdinaryDude300 Posts: 51 Member
    I can identify with this some what. It all comes down to training. As we get older we need to train our muscles and not neglect. I have some weights at home and a machine. The machine is totally upper body friendly but not lower. I really did only did upper body stuff at home so I knew my upper body was pretty strong even though I did not go to a formal gym. I noticed my knees and hips are were bothering my more. I am over 50 with a desk job. It did not bother me running some but going up many steps I noticed wonky issues. I just started going to the gym. My GF also was not working out at the gym before but had a 6 month head start on me. She did run, cycle and hikes too. In the gym I thought I would be naturally much stronger everywhere. I am almost 6ft 200. She is only 5'6" 140. Well upper body I was many times stronger as she was a bit weak in this area still. According to her she has improved a lot still in her arms. Her work out routine is 80% leg related. Lower body I found I was only a tad stronger, in like the leg press but at lunges I could not do as many reps. She was training at the lunges I was not. Also she was doing cycling and hikes. I noticed some women were very weak in legs and others very strong. Obviously it was the regular gym goers who looked fit that were much stronger. Later talking with my neighbors kid (18 year old young man) he was at the gym for the past year. I remember a couple years ago he was a skinny kid. Now he legs presses probably double what I can do. Running only don't give you strong gym legs. Bottom line is if we don't use our muscles they get weak but they can get strong again. I mentioned I am over 50 but my upper body is stronger then most 25 year old men.