Beginning Bikers? Or Advanced with tips

2»

Replies

• Zodia81
    Zodia81 Posts: 43
    Thats great airdiva1!

I found a place yesterday that is a short ride from my house so I only have to be on a road with cars for a few mins. I think I am going to start going there everyday. It's mostly flat with very very little inclines. I am looking forward to it.

Tomorrow we are going to a mountain bike race, I am not competing of course but my husband is. It's called "6 hours of heck in paradise". I think the track is around 9 miles long and the point is to see how many laps you can do in 6 hours. He is on a two man team but there are people doing it solo as well. Last I checked there was only one female rider but I am sure that has since changed. I am excited to be a spectator taking photos and hoping to get some motivation :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Initially, just get the miles in on gentle conditions.
    While there's no problems walking up hills, I'd try and pace yourself so you can get to the top - no problem sticking in the lowest gear and going up slowly. When I did the London to Brighton bike ride some years ago, coming up to the nasty steep hill near the end, it was taking me a couple of minutes to overtake... people walking their bikes up! However I reached the top still pedalling, which I was happy with.

With cycling you should find your fairly quickly get your distance up. Many years ago when I was starting cycling a bit, I would cycle until I felt too tired to carry on. Stop, have a break, then cycle back.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Thats great airdiva1!

I found a place yesterday that is a short ride from my house so I only have to be on a road with cars for a few mins. I think I am going to start going there everyday. It's mostly flat with very very little inclines. I am looking forward to it.

Tomorrow we are going to a mountain bike race, I am not competing of course but my husband is. It's called "6 hours of heck in paradise". I think the track is around 9 miles long and the point is to see how many laps you can do in 6 hours. He is on a two man team but there are people doing it solo as well. Last I checked there was only one female rider but I am sure that has since changed. I am excited to be a spectator taking photos and hoping to get some motivation :)

That sounds like fun. There are sure a lot of super fit people who hang out at bike races.