Dumbbells

Options
Since I have no room for exercise equipment (The big stuff) I was thinking of getting a set of dumbbells that I can easily store in my closet when not in use. I'm hoping it'll cure some of my bird wings that I now have from losing 150lbs 5 years ago.

Have any of you used just dumbbells for strength training in the beginning? If so how soon did you see a difference? Does it make a good calorie burn allowing me to eat more than 1200 calories a day and not go to bed starving? How often did you strength train per week? Do you have any before and after pics? If so can you show me so I know I have something to look forward to.

PS I know everyone's body is different!!

Replies

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Dumbells/free weights are better than machines anyway. Don't be afraid of the heavy ones.

Every time I start up strength training (I tend to get lazy with it and slack off and just focus on running, which is dumb, I know... anyway) - every time I start up again, I am super hungry at first. It takes me a week or so to get my hunger levels in check again. Eat protein.

I tend to see a difference pretty quickly (like 4 to 8 weeks) - but I get excited over just little differences. Bigger/dramatic differences take time.
  • gracie11lexi13
    gracie11lexi13 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've never weight trained before to be honest. So it's all gonna be new to me. When I lost the 150lbs I did 100 situps every day 365 days a year til I found out I was pregnant with my oldest. I would go to a gym but I'd rather be at home and work out. I barely see my kids as it is why take more time away from them ya know.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I hear that! I try to get my workouts in during my lunch break. I don't want to take time away from my kids in the evening to work out let alone go to the gym at that time!

www.dumbbell-exercises.com is a neat website! It was a little over-whelming to me at first, but they list out exercises by muscle group, equipment, and they show you how to do the exercises.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I hear that! I try to get my workouts in during my lunch break. I don't want to take time away from my kids in the evening to work out let alone go to the gym at that time!

www.dumbbell-exercises.com is a neat website! It was a little over-whelming to me at first, but they list out exercises by muscle group, equipment, and they show you how to do the exercises.

Thanks for this! I was thinking of treating myself and husband to a load of freeweights/dumbbells..
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    You could also look into adjustable dumb bells.
  • gracie11lexi13
    Options

thanks
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    I invested in a set of Bowflex Select Tech dumbbells.....you can see them in my profile pics.....you won't be able to move them once you put them somewhere tho.....they dial up to 52.5lb.....but now I only need one set for everything....upper and lower body....cost about $400 though....so not cheap
  • gracie11lexi13
    Options
    I invested in a set of Bowflex Select Tech dumbbells.....you can see them in my profile pics.....you won't be able to move them once you put them somewhere tho.....they dial up to 52.5lb.....but now I only need one set for everything....upper and lower body....cost about $400 though....so not cheap

I was gonna get a small set to start off with. Like the 5,10,15,20 pound set with rack. I found one amazon for a great deal.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    In for any good exercises/links
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I only workout with free weights/dumbbells. Being in a wheelchair, I find that most machines at gyms aren't really all that accessible, so I just have my own weight bench, barbell, EZ Curl bar and dumbbells that I do all my workouts with (4x a week for me). You can do a TON of exercises with dumbbells. As for the calorie burn, well of course that's highly dependent on how long and how intense you work out.

Form is important! If it's your first time working out with free weights, you'll want to spend your first several workouts making sure you focus on getting your form down right. Once you have the form down, then you can start increasing the amount of weight you work with.

If you stick with it and use them on a consistent basis, you could certainly start seeing noticing a difference in about 1-2 months.

Good luck!! Oh, and btw.... if you use Pinterest, check it out for workout/exercise information. Tons of stuff on there.... not all of it is useful, but a lot of it is! :)
  • bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Check out this group. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I do not have access to barbell but I am starting to do the stronglifts 5x5 with dumbbells. I'm just starting out so I can't give alot of advise but it's a pretty easy routine to follow.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Im a rookie too. After reading and reading what //how I should start (after a hand surgery left me more than week in my upper boody...I went with 30 day shred. 3 levels (10 days each). They use 3-5 lb dumbbells in the video. I started with 8 lbs and it was killer. However 5 lbs im sure is too. Ive done it for 14 days in a 3 week period (missed a few days here and there) and my sides and arms and legs are all toning!!

I have now bumped up to 10 lb dumbbells.

Good luck :)
  • gracie11lexi13
    Options
    thats awesome chimis. Can you tell me more abou this 30 day shred that I keep seeing people talk about?

@blazergrad thanks for the info. I'm such a rookie at this and feel dumb as ever to ask this but what do you mean by finding my form?
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    There are lots of exercises you can do with dumbbells. Also exercise bands are good and don't take up much room. I am a female, senior citizen. I use dumbells (at the gym) from 5 pounds to 25 pounds.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I started with a set of adjustable dumbbells (it was cheaper than buying separate dumbbells in 5lb increments) and workout from this link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw3.htm

Keep track of the weights/reps you do for each exercise and continuously progress by adding reps/weights.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is a Jillian Michaels dvd, I have that one as well as Ripped in 30, 6 week 6 pack, etc. You can see a lot of the videos on youtube. the 30 day ones are all based on 3 mins of strength, 2 mins of cardio, 1 min of core plus a warm-up and cool-down and you're done in less than 30 mins. I'd highly recommend the 30 Day shred or Ripped in 30 so you can get an idea of the different compound ways to lift with the dumb bells so that you are also getting your heart rate up and burning fat while building muscle. I had 5lb weights, and just bought 8lb and 10lb weights myself to do with these videos.

I'm a runner (up to the marathon distance) and tend to slack on the strength training and just run 6 days a week. I figure 20-30 mins 6 days a week to do videos at home, surely I can find the time, especially on the days I just can't get to a class at the gym.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The all pro beginner program is easily adapted to dumbbells

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

You might be able to start with 20 pound dumbbells, but you'll need heavier ones pretty quickly.
  • dintentions3
    dintentions3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love dumbells. and I would just say don't waste your time with these lame 2 lb weights that women use. I use 10,15 lb weights atleast. its never made me "bulky" like women are scared of. I love using them bc I can sit on the couch watching tv after a long day and lift weights while I do it.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options

@blazergrad thanks for the info. I'm such a rookie at this and feel dumb as ever to ask this but what do you mean by finding my form?

Everyone started out at one time or another and had to learn the ins and outs, so don't feel dumb asking questons! :)

I simply mean using proper form to do the exercises. Slow, controlled motions... keeping your joints and spine lined up correctly in order to avoid injury. You can google "exercise proper form" and find numerous articles, but here's one for example:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness25.htm
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is a Jillian Michaels dvd, I have that one as well as Ripped in 30, 6 week 6 pack, etc. You can see a lot of the videos on youtube. the 30 day ones are all based on 3 mins of strength, 2 mins of cardio, 1 min of core plus a warm-up and cool-down and you're done in less than 30 mins. I'd highly recommend the 30 Day shred or Ripped in 30 so you can get an idea of the different compound ways to lift with the dumb bells so that you are also getting your heart rate up and burning fat while building muscle. I had 5lb weights, and just bought 8lb and 10lb weights myself to do with these videos.

I'm a runner (up to the marathon distance) and tend to slack on the strength training and just run 6 days a week. I figure 20-30 mins 6 days a week to do videos at home, surely I can find the time, especially on the days I just can't get to a class at the gym.

Yes! :)