advice on scales please

Options
hey there!

would like a set of scales that read body fat %
bonus points for wifi connectivity!

only problem is scales like this are all super expensive

anyone found decent ones around £50 or less? UK or somewhere that will ship to UK please <3

Replies

• sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options
    bummmmp
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options
    bumpity bump?
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options
    BADUMBUMP
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I own Weight Watchers scale- you can setup 4 users (height, age, sex) and it will calculate, BMI, BF%, BF in kg , etc. Sorry i don't live in UK, i live in Canada. I paid about $110 CAD.
  • kimsmith4u
    Options
    Hey there, I don't mean to reply something negative but body fat percentage on a weight scale would product results which are completely inaccurate. Instead you can get a body fat calliper to monitor your fat loss. The weighing scale is a good guide to indicate progress if you are gaining/losing weight only.
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Save your money. Buy a pair of callipers from http://www.accumeasurefitness.com. Throw the scale away, it will make you a slave of it. Measure your body. Fat weighs differently from muscle, your total weight means very little :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't waste my money on scales or calipers...

the only real way to get BF% is bod pod, hydrostatic testing or a dexa scan...barring those...having someone look at pics...flexed front, side, back..unflexed side back and front but they have to know what they are doing.

ETA: calipers are only as good as the person holding them and can often doesn't take hydration levels into account, keeping in mind it's the same with a lot of ways of measuring body fat...including bod pod etc.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I own Weight Watchers scale- you can setup 4 users (height, age, sex) and it will calculate, BMI, BF%, BF in kg , etc. Sorry i don't live in UK, i live in Canada. I paid about $110 CAD.

I paid $35-$40 at a Meijer's! You can probably find it at Walmart for the same price range. No wifi! I've had the same one for 2 years and it's still accurate!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    There are no accurate BF % scales on the market.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately if you try to go inexpensive, you might also be buying poorly made, especially if you want WiFi.

I have an Aria scale and really like it. Amazon had it for a good price.

As far as accuracy goes, while they will be slightly off the results will still be consistent over time so it's still a valid metric to track as a trend. There are steps you need to take to keep your results consistent: measure at the same time of day every day, dry feet, stable temperature room, and not right after exercise.