need dinner recipe - chicken, rice, broccoli....GO!

Options
sunnbunniez
sunnbunniez Posts: 18 Member
Ok so I am running out of ideas on how to fix boneless/skinless chicken breast. The recipe books are all starting to blur together. I have 3 children and a husband and they will try most anything once. We already know chicken with any fruit (orange chicken, lemon chicken) will NOT be eaten. (sigh) So I trude along in a rut hoping for something new and not boring to try around 400 cal or less.

Replies

• pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Pinterest or just do a search on 400 calories dinners.
    Lots of things to consider out there !
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts.. Roll in taco seasoning.. Put in slow cooker or oven covered with a jar of salsa.. When done, shred, mix with small container sour cream. Put in tortillas or my husband likes it over rice with black olives. Our go to dinner..
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    LOL rice and Veg is a meal - at our house at LEASt 1x a week, and rice veg and MEat ! wow thats like , holiday :D
    actually tonight i made the whole meal in the rice pot

3 C Brown Rice- cooked yields like 5-6c
    about 3/4 through add 1 c spagh sauce , and tsp pesto
    then 2lbs broccoli flowerettes
    and 1 can cheese preogesso recipe starters

dump on top
    cook 10-15 more minutes, and shut off, serve and cool

i suppose you could add chicken to it .. served all 6 in the house with leftovers.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels / BBQ Chicken and Black Bean Burritos
    serves :4
    Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
    3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/3 cup bottled Carb Solutions barbecue sauce ( I use just a regular BBQ sauce)
    1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, drained
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
    4 (10-inch) La Tortilla Factory low-carb tortillas
    1/4 cup low-fat sour cream

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large nontick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, and garlic; cook 8 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring constantly.
    2. Stir in barbecue sauce and beans. Sprinkle with cheese; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; top each with 1 tablespoon sour cream, and roll up.
  • AHack3
    Options
    Here's another one my family likes but I don't really have a recipe, I just mix up some cut up chicken breasts, some cooked brown rice, some reduced fat cheddar cheese and some broccoli with some salt and pepper. Easy and yummy.
  • AHack3
    Options
    Why just chicken? There is a lot of other lean meat or protein options out there for dinner? Do you want any other recipes that have Lean beef? Turkey? Pork tenderloin? etc? I can post some other recipes or I can look up some more chicken ones if you want?
  • sunnbunniez
    sunnbunniez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your ideas. Everyone is so very helpful, keep them comming.
    Friend me and send me messages :)
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts.. Roll in taco seasoning.. Put in slow cooker or oven covered with a jar of salsa.. When done, shred, mix with small container sour cream. Put in tortillas or my husband likes it over rice with black olives. Our go to dinner..

That made my mouth water.
  • hoovermouth48
    Options
    I like to sauté broccoli and chicken with garlic and onions. Add in some oyster sauce for extra flavour if you've got any, or drizzle a bit of sesame oil and soy sauce. Lightly fry the rice with eggs and thats your meal! It tastes great assuming you like Asian tastes.
    You can always make the meal healthy by controlling the portions, using egg whites and red/brown rice. Enjoy :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I'm making this one from Betty Crocker tonight with some rice and asparagus on the side:

855738b3-46ed-46ad-9485-539b049080ea.jpg

Easy Chicken with Tomatoes and Spinach

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup dry white wine or water

2 medium plum (Roma) tomatoes, sliced (about 1 cup)

1 bag (6 oz) fresh baby spinach leaves (about 3 1/2 cups)

Directions

-In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with garlic, oregano, seasoned salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet; cook 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (at least 165°F).
    -Stir wine into skillet. Top chicken with tomato slices. Cover; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tomatoes are thoroughly heated.
    - Add spinach. Cover; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/easy-chicken-with-tomatoes-and-spinach/af53c48f-156f-4415-9873-46e9e8405df8
  • Bucky884
    Bucky884 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try chicken breasts (4 frozen) in the crockpot. Add 1 can diced or crushed tomatoes, 1 can chicken broth (or water) and butter beans (or any type of bean you like). I also added a bit of garlic and pepper. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low all day. About 30 minutes before serving I added a bag of frozen mixed vegetables and let that finish cooking. Very simple and delish!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    chicken ballotine, puffed rice crisps, tempura broccoli
  • linka411
    linka411 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    two words: stir fry.
    get some heads of broccoli, red and green bell peppers, onion, mushrooms and rice (white or brown, up to you), garlic and the chicken breast.

cut all that goodness up (you can leave the mushrooms whole) and slice the chicken into chunks or strips. get a little oil (I like to use canola oil) in a pan or a pot, and throw in the chicken and onions. When the chicken cooks a little more, throw in the garlic (I tend to avoid throwing in the garlic first in case it burns. Then throw in the mushrooms, peppers and broccoli. Stir it up and wait for the veggies to get soft and cook. Finally, add some soy sauce (maybe like a tbsp) and an ever so slight amount of sesame oil (maybe like 1/4 tsp.) and stir it all up. Serve on some rice. Enjoy the deliciousness.

Everyday food has a variation with some extra things to add to the sauce. http://everydayfoodblog.marthastewart.com/2013/08/todays-recipe-chicken-and-broccoli-stir-fry.html

They're not essential, but if you have the stuff around and don't mind the extra sodium, go for it-it's quite good :D. I also advise that you grate your ginger if you decide to try this recipe out- in chunks I found it to be very strong.
  • faithfulmomof3
    Options
    Some things you can do are: Chicken rice soup (add any veggies you want), chicken baked with any dressing (liquid or dry, but ranch and italian do better dry), stir fry (veggies, chicken, teriyaki sauce and garlic).

Plus this website is my favorite! They have a little of everything. Type in what you have (ingredients) and it will give you wonderful dinner ideas!

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/meat-and-poultry/chicken/chicken-breasts/

Good Luck!
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Broil Chicken with any Mrs. Dash no salt seasoning, Make rice, cook broccoli or eat it raw.
  • kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    We will often do home made chicken strips with brown rice and broccoli cashew. Here is the Broccoli Cashew recipe: As for the chicken strips with just slice chicken breasts dip in olive oil then roll in panko :) Super easy and Delicious!!!

Ingredients Edit and Save
    Original recipe makes 6 servings Change Servings Makes servings US Metric Adjust Recipe (Help)

1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces

1/3 cup butter

1 tablespoon brown sugar

3 tablespoons soy sauce

2 teaspoons white vinegar

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/3 cup chopped salted cashews
    Check All Add to Shopping List .Directions
    1.Place the broccoli into a large pot with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes, or until tender but still crisp. Drain, and arrange broccoli on a serving platter.
    2.While the broccoli is cooking, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Mix in the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Mix in the cashews, and pour the sauce over the broccoli. Serve immediately.
  • stephnerR
    stephnerR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is sooo simple - frozen chicken breasts (I usually use 5), throw them in a slow cooker and top with -
    1 16 oz jar of salsa
    1 can corn (drained)
    1 can black beans (drained)

1/2 hr before serving, add one 8 oz package of cream cheese

I let it cook all day when I'm at work - usually 10 hrs before it is served. I serve it over brown rice.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'd say casserole, but that usually uses cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, so that packs on a few calories.

Easy suggestion: Cook the rice. Throw the cut up chicken into a wok with a little bit of olive oil or something. Once the chicken is browned, throw in the broccoli and maybe a quarter cup of water. Add any spices you want during the "woking" of the chicken and broccoli. Put in a bit of soy sauce or Yoshida sauce for added flavor. Cook until broccoli is desired tenderness (I tend to like to cook it so much that the broccoli falls apart, but that's up to you).

Then serve on top of the rice or next to the rice. Easy, fast, yum.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Salt and pepper chicken tenders are my go to dish. I make a pound of it and have it pretty much all week.

Kirkland Signature - Frozen Chicken Tenderloins, 16 oz
    Goya - Adobo All Purpose Seasoning With Pepper, 1tsp
    Generic - Italian Seasoning, 1 tsp
    Onions - Raw, 60 g
    Garlic - Raw, 60 g

Total: 554 26 4 105 987 4
    Per Serving: 92 4 1 18 165 1

After thawing the chicken in salt water, drain, and rinse chicken

sprinkle all of the seasonings on it make sure each piece is coated nicely, set aside

Finely chop your onions and garlic, you can add more or less to taste.

Spray your pan with just a little bit of non-stick spray.

sweat your garlic and onion until translucent, evenly coat the bottom of the pan with the mixture

lay the chicken on top of the garlic and onion mixture, pour apx 4 oz of water in the pan, cover and let steam for apx 10 minutes

flip the chick and let steam apx 5-6 minutes.

after all of the water evaporates all to brown up a little.

At this point I chop it up, and portion it out into 3 oz servings.

cook your rice as normal (sometimes I add 1/2 cup of chicken broth to the 1 1/2 cups of water to one cup rice)

steam your broccoli just a few minutes.

then combine all three in casserole dish add a little broth, layer 4- 6 oz 2% cheese of your choice, bake 20 minutes or until top layer of cheese is browned and bubbling.